Am I the only schmuck still holding on to Phillip Rivers? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Am I the only schmuck still holding on to Phillip Rivers?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Am I the only schmuck still holding on to Phillip Rivers?

Postby Apoplectic » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Because I'm seriously getting sick of this, only two damn points this week. I was the punter on my HS football team and I don't think I even had as many turnovers as this guy ten games into a season. Are there any reasonable hopes that he will get better enough to consider keeping him? I'm thinking about dropping him and picking up Leinart in his stead, seem like a good idea to anyone else?

Did he miss the memo that Hillis was on the Madden cover and not him?
Apoplectic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Am I the only schmuck still holding on to Phillip Rivers

Postby CMan0928 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:25 pm

For Leinart? I certainly wouldn't do that. While I think there may be an underlying issue in the form of an injury that we aren't yet aware of, Rivers has too good a track record to just completely fall apart the way he has thus far. I do think that this may end up being one of those seasons that all QB's eventually have, where they regress and post numbers far short of their career averages. If your best option is Matt Leinart I would just stick with Rivers and go down with the ship. Here's the remaining schedule for San Diego this year and where that particular opponent ranks in pass defense. He faces three teams in the top five over the last seven weeks. But he's got some good matchups against Chicago, Denver, and Buffalo, too. What about a trade for a replacement? I was actually thinking about buying low on Rivers seeing my squad is sitting at 4-6 after this week with the light at the end of the tunnel beginning to fade.

Week 11 - @ Chicago (30th)
Week 12 - Denver (19th)
Week 13 - @ Jacksonville (3rd)
Week 14 - Buffalo (26th)
Week 15 - Baltimore (4th)
Week 16 - @ Detroit (2nd)
Week 17 - @ Oakland (21st)
CMan0928
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Apoplectic » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:28 am

CMan0928 wrote:If your best option is Matt Leinart I would just stick with Rivers and go down with the ship.

There are a few other options, but I've got a good feeling on Leinart. Something tells me that Leinart and Walters will have a good on-field chemistry, and he will have a far better running core than he has ever had. I only really see upside for him.

CMan0928 wrote:Here's the remaining schedule for San Diego this year and where that particular opponent ranks in pass defense. He faces three teams in the top five over the last seven weeks. But he's got some good matchups against Chicago, Denver, and Buffalo, too.
Week 11 - @ Chicago (30th)
Week 12 - Denver (19th)
Week 13 - @ Jacksonville (3rd)
Week 14 - Buffalo (26th)
Week 15 - Baltimore (4th)
Week 16 - @ Detroit (2nd)
Week 17 - @ Oakland (21st)

Rivers only got 9 points against Denver, only got two points against Oakland (16th), only 5 against the Jets (20th),and he's only scored an average of 3.5 against Kansas City (28th). I'm sorry, I do not see him getting any better this season. I think the GB game was only a fluke; a pleasant fluke, don't get me wrong, but a fluke nonetheless. I only shudder at the thought of what will happen to him when he goes up against Detroit, Jacksonville, and Baltimore.

CMan0928 wrote:What about a trade for a replacement? I was actually thinking about buying low on Rivers seeing my squad is sitting at 4-6 after this week with the light at the end of the tunnel beginning to fade.

No one in my league wants to touch him with a ten foot pole. All but one completely turned down any trade including Rivers, countering with a trade without him included. The one person I got to even consider getting him in a trade wanted Rivers+Welker for Freeman; and this was back when Freeman was injured. I'm in a keeper league and Welker's the only player in my squad even worth keepering (possibly Micheal Bush if he can wrangle the starting spot away from McFadden, a tough job, but if he continues like he has been, who knows?).

I'm 3-7 and dead last in my league, largely due to this guy. I have yet to lose a game by more than 12 points, and if Rivers was actually doing anywhere near as well as he was supposed to I might still be contending (Having drafted J. Charles and Hillis certainly didn't help). I could ride my back-up (although I'm going to make him my starter soon) Hasselback, but I want someone who won't help the other team more than he helps his own on my bench.
Apoplectic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby JavaDude » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 am

The better question is: What kind of crap league are you in?

Rivers got me 20+ points in all of my leagues that I have him/started him.
JavaDude
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Apoplectic » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:38 am

Here's the breakdown of points for quarterbacks in my league:

Passing

Every 25 passing yards (PY25) 1 TD Pass (PTD) 4
40+ yard TD pass bonus (PTD40) 2 50+ yard TD pass bonus (PTD50) 2
Interceptions Thrown (INT) -2 2pt Passing Conversion (2PC) 2
300-399 yard passing game (P300) 1 400+ yard passing game (P400) 2
Sacked (SK) -2

Rushing

Every 10 rushing yards (RY10) 1 TD Rush (RTD) 6
40+ yard TD rush bonus (RTD40) 2 50+ yard TD rush bonus (RTD50) 2
2pt Rushing Conversion (2PR) 2 200+ yard rushing game (RY200) 2

As far as I know this is a standard scoring league...
Apoplectic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dolfan19 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Apoplectic wrote:Sacked (SK) -2

:-* That's not standard. i don't know why a sack would be considered as bad as an INT
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 53)

Postby Slayer Rules » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Dolfan19 wrote:
Apoplectic wrote:Sacked (SK) -2

:-* That's not standard. i don't know why a sack would be considered as bad as an INT

Yeah - those are whack scoring values dude. But - you have to live with them obviously.

Rivers is sure as hell not going to be sacked "less" than he currently is. He just lost another lineman for the season today. It could be that Leinart outscores him from here on out. I'd try to drop someone other than Rivers himself and grab Leinart (who has a bye anyway) and see how things go for a bit.

Also - either get that scoring changed for next yr and find a new league.
Slayer Rules
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Apoplectic » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:06 am

Told my GM about it, I'll see if it gets changed. For the time being I'm getting Christian Ponder to see how he handles some easy match-ups the next few weeks.
Apoplectic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk