Trade Deadline Question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Trade Deadline Question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trade Deadline Question

Postby dmbhawker » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:11 pm

I'm in a Yahoo League where the trade deadline is today, 11/18. I'm not commish in this league so i cannot change anything.

I know this deadline is for everyone and we all know when it is when the league is created so I'm not screaming injustice there. Furthermore this does not affect me nor do i have nothing to gain but, doesn't this deadline weaken players value?

Example:
Lets say you have Brees on your bench this week who is on a bye, and you have another stud like Cam Newton. If I was a manger I would look to deal Newton for a rb or wr. No sense in having two top 5 Qb's when you can only start 1. But doing so is somewhat detrimental to your team because you would have to grab a waiver wire or maybe start your 3rd QB(if you have 1). Again I'm not saying this is unfair because we all have access to league rules.

What I am saying is this deadline does somewhat diminish players value slightly with week 11 bye's, because of their lack of trad-ability in regards to the time of their bye.

Would love to hear other's thoughts on the matter if you understand this petty of an issue.
qb-ryan
qb-kolb
rb-foster
rb-ryan matthews
wr-megatron
wr-fitzgerald
wr-aj green
te-gates
flex/bn- helu, tate, wells, moss, yates,
def-cin

GO CORNHUSKERS!!
dmbhawker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trade Deadline Question

Postby h8ed-on-me » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:45 pm

I see what you are getting at about the deadline diminishing a players value. I'm not quite sure if I agree with that but I see what you are saying. Sure you may be able to squeeze a little more value out of someone because of the deadline if they are desperate to trade. But to say their value is diminished is a little much. Cam is Cam regardless of whether its week 11 or week 13. So I think that there is a difference between the desperation of a owner to make a deal before the deadline and a players value being diminished.
h8ed-on-me
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby dgan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:41 pm

The risk of collusion, or just stupidity destroying an otherwise good season far outweighs the problem you indicated. It does suck having Byes this late in the season, but it's been that way for a long time. This is something you knew a couple weeks ago...you had an opportunity to trade Cam then and make other arrangements.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby dmbhawker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:57 pm

dmbhawker wrote:
Furthermore this does not affect me nor do i have nothing to gain but, doesn't this deadline weaken players value?

dgan wrote:The risk of collusion, or just stupidity destroying an otherwise good season far outweighs the problem you indicated. It does suck having Byes this late in the season, but it's been that way for a long time. This is something you knew a couple weeks ago...you had an opportunity to trade Cam then and make other arrangements.

I don't own Cam or benefit when his bye is, was just using him as an example b/c he had a bye in week 11.

What I am doing is questioning the status quo. Just because it's done that way doesn't mean it's the right way.

Setting your trade deadline past the bye weeks would give all players the same value in regard to their bye weeks.
qb-ryan
qb-kolb
rb-foster
rb-ryan matthews
wr-megatron
wr-fitzgerald
wr-aj green
te-gates
flex/bn- helu, tate, wells, moss, yates,
def-cin

GO CORNHUSKERS!!
dmbhawker
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bigmck » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:54 pm

No sense in having two top 5 Qb's when you can only start 1.

======================================================

I can give you an example of why the above statement is wrong.== Matt Schaub. I had him in two leagues and my backup sucked. I have won my division in both leagues but the playoffs look bad for me.
bigmck
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:25 am

dmbhawker wrote:Setting your trade deadline past the bye weeks would give all players the same value in regard to their bye weeks.

But look at a bunch of the threads in this forum. Leagues without trade deadlines are now dealing with possible collusion, playoff teams trading with non-playoff teams, etc... At some point you need to stop trades, regardless of how bye weeks fall.

Everyone knows what bye week players are on when they draft them and it is the same for every owner. Not every player is of equal value anyway, so I fail to understand why you would risk compromising fairness in your league just to correct some type of small, foreknown inequality with a handful of players who happen to have late bye weeks?

So my suggestion, if you're really that concerned about the decreased trade value of players with late bye weeks, don't draft them. That's part of draft strategy, I suppose - I certainly wouldn't change my league rules because of it...
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to Commissioner's Corner