Is this collusion? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Is this collusion?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is this collusion?

Postby demon22 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:57 am

Ok guys, I have a situation in my league that I need to decide on. This is a league where a father and son both have a team. The dad is about to be 7-5, in third place and making the playoffs. The son, on the other hand, is about to be 4-8 and tied for last place in our league. They agreed to a trade yesterday, and it has fallen to me (as commissioner) to decide whether to allow it or not.

Team Dad (7-5) gets:
Matt Forte

Team Son (4-8) gets:
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Maurice Morris

Is this collusion? Forte is a top 5 back in our PPR league, and Morris will once again be a backup once Kevin Smith comes back from his ankle sprain. I just don't know whether this is lopsided enough to veto or if I should just grit my teeth and put it through. Help!

P.S.--Normally I would just approve a trade like this, but there was some funny business earlier in the year where the son gave the dad Aaron Rodgers in exchange for some lesser players, and a rumor of a bag of peanut butter cups. Needless to say, I won't be inviting them back next year.
demon22
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is this collusion?

Postby TaDa » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:04 pm

It's tough to say if it's collusion. Did the son's team lose its starting QB, who can tell how long Smith will stay healthy, making Morris a decent option, etc.

Overall, I don't think it's a fair trade, but it also doesn't appear to be blatant collusion. If they have a track record of it before though, who knows.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:18 pm

I don't see any shenanigans here - I doubt I'd ever be part of an offer like that, but the arguments that Forte has been quite ordinary for the last month and that Fitz and Mau Mo could help the other guy's team are pretty hard to go against - both teams seem (for whatever reason) to be trying to better their teams, so I think you have to let it slide and then either invite or not invite them back based on your best judgment after the season is over ...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigmck » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:38 pm

The regular season is over next week in most leagues. There needs to be a trade deadline a few weeks back. A trade like that just before the playoffs start is pretty fishy. You should ask them about that.
bigmck
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:01 pm

Id say its collusion. The son making a trade when he is out of the playoffs already is worthless unless there is a motive. The dad has everything to gain here and losing a back up QB and a back up RB to get a starter only makes his team stronger.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby dgan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:00 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Id say its collusion. The son making a trade when he is out of the playoffs already is worthless unless there is a motive. The dad has everything to gain here and losing a back up QB and a back up RB to get a starter only makes his team stronger.

I agree, if the son's team is out of the playoffs, he is not "helping his team" by ditching his best player. Unless this is a keeper league, I would say it is collusion. Albeit, done in a nearly fair matter. Your still trading a top 5 player from a non-playoff team to a playoff team - I think that constitutes collusion in this particular sense. Although I also agree in almost every other scenario, I would allow this to go through.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby dream_017 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:31 pm

All the more reason that you need this:

bigmck wrote:There needs to be a trade deadline a few weeks back. A trade like that just before the playoffs start is pretty fishy.

You can not have teams that are out of the playoffs trading starters to teams that are in the playoffs 1 week before the they start. After week 9 or 10 you should not allow trades in a re-draft league - it can cause nothing but issues.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby bigmck » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:32 pm

It looks like Dad got screwed anyway with Matt Forte being hurt. Dad got what was coming to him.
bigmck
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner