2012 Draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to 2013 NFL Draft

2012 Draft

Re: 2012 Draft

Postby stomperrob » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:14 pm

The Miami Dolphins were well represented at the pro day of Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill.

General Manager Jeff Ireland, new head coach Joe Philbin and Brian Gaine, the team's director of player personnel, all attended the workout for Tannehill, who is projected by most draft experts as the third best quarterback in the 2012 NFL draft.

The Dolphins also reportedly took Tannehill out for dinner Thursday night after his workout, which featured him completing 65-of-68 passes. Two of the three incomplete passes were dropped.

Tannehill, who was the Aggies leading receiver for his first two and a half seasons, ran a 4.62 40-yard dash. That's after sitting out the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine because of a stress fracture in his foot.

more: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:32 pm

The first ten picks of my mock are now live in the articles section. Feel free to mock me in the comments.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:41 pm

Report: Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross pushing for Ryan Tannehill
9:40 p.m. EDT, April 22, 2012

ProFootballTalk.com is reporting that Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross is pushing hard for his team to select Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill on Thursday in the NFL Draft.

Wrote PFT: "Ross desperately wants to turn the page on yet another embarrassing offseason, which has seen the Dolphins fail to hire Jeff Fisher as coach and Peyton Manning as quarterback. They also whiffed on new coach Joe Philbin’s pupil with the Packers, Matt Flynn, even though it’s unclear whether the Dolphins decided they didn’t want Flynn or Flynn decided he didn’t want the Dolphins, or a little bit of both. The season-ticket base has plunged to 30,000. The Dolphins need to create excitement, which in turn will sell tickets."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nicdolas » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Indibuck wrote:
The Lung wrote:
dblj9911 wrote:So to I go with the next elite qb or another stud wr?

There's been a lot of talk already in dynasty leagues about folks using a top 3 pick on QB Andrew Luck, and I think we're going to see a lot more of it this offseason. I think there is an important point to make about Luck, and in the interest of full disclosure, this is something that I first heard ESPN's Colin Cowherd talk about a few weeks ago in a rare display of non-annoyance.

I think it's important to note that as an NFL prospect, Luck has all the physical and mental attributes that a premier quarterback in the NFL displays. And based on that, most folks evaluating Luck would be very schocked if, blessed with all these qualities he displayed in college, he would completely fail in the NFL. I think very few, if any scouts & talent evaluators, are however insinuating that Luck is going to be a Hall of Fame quarterback. While he certainly has that potential, I don't think anyone is guaranteeing that proposition. I think what most folks are intimating is that based on his skill set, he has both a very high ceiling AND a very high floor. Just about everyone would be shocked if Luck was a bust - a JaMarcus Russell, a David Carr, a Tim Couch, or a Ryan Leaf. I personally think that at his worst, Luck will be a Matt Ryan, a Carson Palmer, a Donovan McNabb - a player with a high floor and basically someone who is an above average QB from both a fantasy and a real life perspective. But not necessarily a Pro Bowl player from day 1.

Of course, there's always the possibility that Luck becomes a Peyton Manning, a Tom Brady, an Aaron Rodgers or a Drew Brees. He does have that potential. But I personally would not go into dynasty league rookie drafts next year expecting that. And then consequently being disappointed if he's not a fantasy monster in the first year or two. I think that no matter what, the NFL world is going to immediately judge Andrew Luck and hold him to some impossibly high standards based on the media hype created around him. I hope the same thing doesn't happen in the fantasy world, and I think that if managers are using 1.01 overall picks on Luck, they are setting themselves up for this possibility. And when faced with elite prospects like RB Trent Richardson & WR Justin Blackmon, I just don't see how managers pass on these prospects for Luck. Something else that also complicates the issue is that Robert Griffin III may end up being a fantasy monster, and he could be more of a value at the end of the first round inv as a "consolation" for managers who miss out on Luck.

Don't get me wrong, Luck is the best QB prospect I've seen since I started playing fantasy football in 2002. I like almost everything about him, and it sure would be nice to have a "set-it-and-forget-it" QB in my lineup (like Brees & Rodgers are) for the next ten years. But I'm just not sold on using such a high draft pick on Luck in dynasty league rookie drafts in 2012. :-?

Nice take on the Luck situation. I agree 100% with what you said, especially in regards to expected production vs. real production, both in fantasy and "real-life" football.

While I am no scout, I am a football junkie -- NFL and college -- and I am very impressed with Luck. I see him as a combination of Stafford and Brady... which would hypothetically make him a perennial top-5 or top-3 fantasy QB.

It's obviously ridiculously early to pinpoint, with so many variables prior to the 2012 draft -- but at this point in time, where is the earliest that you would select Luck in a rookie draft?

Also what is being left out in this discussion is the fact that Indy is a very old team and they will take a few years to rebuild all the spots they need imo, just run down the lineup on offense RB Delone Carter and Donald Brown not exactly high level rb talent. Wrs you have an aging Reggie Wayne followed by Austin Collie and Donnie Avery who seems to get hurt every year...And at TE if you can name one without looking it up id be shocked unless your a homer...

With all that mentioned I have to temper my expectations of Luck for the next 2-3 years unless they make some very good FA moves or they hit on almost every pick they make..

If you have the luxury in a rookie draft to wait out a few seasons I could see a top 4 pick if you need a qb to plug in now I would have to give the edge to RGIII..
-Nic
nicdolas
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby daullaz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:44 am

I just posted what I think is a neat article predicting each team's draft board on the front page. Check it out if you haven't already, and look for my final mock Wednesday night.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:47 am

daullaz wrote:I just posted what I think is a neat article predicting each team's draft board on the front page. Check it out if you haven't already, and look for my final mock Wednesday night.

Another great job ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:01 pm

stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:50 pm

Jim Brown disses Richardson:

Jim Brown unimpressed by 'ordinary' Trent Richardson
By Dan Hanzus NFL.com
Writer
Published: April 26, 2012 at 03:31 p.m.

There are plenty of teams interested in the services of Alabama star Trent Richardson, but the greatest rusher of them all doesn't get the appeal.

In a guest spot on ESPN Radio (via PFT), Jim Brown downplayed Richardson's game and lamented the NFL's move toward a more pass-happy culture.

“I’m not overwhelmed with it,” Brown said of the prospect his former team, the Cleveland Browns, could select Richardson. “The problem is that he’s ordinary. I think he’s ordinary.”

What's ordinary about Richardson? "The size, the speed, his moves," he said.

Brown suggested that if Richardson couldn't start ahead of Saints running back Mark Ingram at Alabama (another guy that bores him), there's no reason to think he'll be a better player than Ingram in the pros.

more: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... richardson
stomperrob

Postby The Lung » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:10 pm

...and that right there pretty much guarantees that I will never listen to a word Jim Brown says for the rest of his life.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:15 pm

The Lung wrote:...and that right there pretty much guarantees that I will never listen to a word Jim Brown says for the rest of his life.

He always comes across as such a bitter, twisted old man. :-t
stomperrob

Previous

Return to 2013 NFL Draft