Is Tim Tebow an Awful Quarterback? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Tim Tebow an Awful Quarterback?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Tim Tebow an Awful Quarterback?

Postby WebHamster » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:29 am

Tim Tebow is a very polarizing athlete. Some people love him and some absolutely hate him. I’ll kick this off by saying, I’m a Tebow fan. The dude has been remarkably successful this year. So much so, that I’m going back to church. Heck, it works for him!
I readily admit that Tebow is not a [...]

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2011/tips_tebow.php
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 204)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Tim Tebow an Awful Quarterback?

Postby stomperrob » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:23 am

Hard to argue with a 5 game win streak and first place in the division. He's not a great QB, but he's very good athlete and that makes up for some of his deficiencies. Parcells used to always say ya can't measure heart, but I think Tebow is the exception to that rule - the kid is all heart and there's no quit in him - if he doesn't succeed in the NFL long-term it won't be because of a lack of effort.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sex Panther » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:25 am

Bad QB - yes.

Good football player - looks like it.

Cannot deny the "intangibles", but a QB who really can't throw the ball or run a pro offense can only take you so far.

IMO, he should be converted to RB/FB/HB.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:46 pm

Why? If he wins as a QB despite you thinking he's not a good one then it makes no sense to change his position. You dont have to be the prototypical QB to be a good QB...the guy makes plays to win games when he has to and thats what good QBs do. Plain and simple.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:42 am

mattb47 wrote:Why? If he wins as a QB despite you thinking he's not a good one then it makes no sense to change his position. You dont have to be the prototypical QB to be a good QB...the guy makes plays to win games when he has to and thats what good QBs do. Plain and simple.

Exactly. If you are to get any value out of Tebow its at QB. More alarming that Orton didn't do well enough to keep him on the pine. One thing that cannot be denies is that the Broncos are playing better with him at the helm than with Orton. Stinks for them too if it keeps them from finding a better solution at that position.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby DraftDodger » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:59 am

When is Tewbow going to get the credit he deserves? If the team is winning with him, how is some roll-of-the-dice future draft pick supposed to be a better option? He has all the skills to be great, and all the skills he needs to be competitive while he improves. Yes, ease of schedule is helping him win in Denver right now, but these games are giving him experience to build on. I'm sorry, but someone who throws for 400 yards, 0-1 TD, and 4 INTs isn't better than Tebow, but that's what people seem to want. I can't believe his name isn't topping the list for league MVP. Turning a team around that completely would've been an automatic MVP for just about any other Qb.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby moochman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:51 pm

DraftDodger wrote:When is Tewbow going to get the credit he deserves? If the team is winning with him, how is some roll-of-the-dice future draft pick supposed to be a better option? He has all the skills to be great, and all the skills he needs to be competitive while he improves. Yes, ease of schedule is helping him win in Denver right now, but these games are giving him experience to build on. I'm sorry, but someone who throws for 400 yards, 0-1 TD, and 4 INTs isn't better than Tebow, but that's what people seem to want. I can't believe his name isn't topping the list for league MVP. Turning a team around that completely would've been an automatic MVP for just about any other Qb.

I can only offer up the 07 Lions. They started out 6-2 yet I thought they sucked. Why with that record? Becuase every game won one done so due moreso because the opposition played more terrible than the Lions did. I wasn't fooled by the record because the quality of play was far worse than one would expect for a record of 6-2. Same with Tebow, the Broncos are winning with him, but they had better not think that the QB play he is providing is of high enough quality to make them a playoff contender.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Maris09 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:37 am

I think it's amazing how the "final verdict" on every other young QB isn't made within his first handfull of starts, but Tebow gets dubbed "not and NFL Quarterback" after 5-6 games.....most of which happen to be wins.

I mean, Colt McCoy? Mark Sanchez? Who would rather have those guys over Tebow?
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby u_fig_eater » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:39 pm

The point is moot. Who are they going to replace Tebow with? The Broncos will not have a top draft pick, especially if they win the division (which they probably will). The QB market will be red hot next year. Do people seriously think the Broncos are going to spend the resources to land a top tier QB? Do you know how depleted that roster is?

Tell me who can go to Denver in 2012 and lead them to the playoffs. David Garrard? Jason Campbell? Donovan McNabb? Kyle Orton??? If they bring in a wash-up, I guarantee they will fall flat on their face, and go 6-10 or worse.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dgan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:41 am

I think with Tebow, there are two arguments that aren't necessarily arguing about the same topic. You have people that think he's great or at least think he's successful, so give him a chance. Then you have people like me.

I'm not saying Tebow can't be an NFL QB. I'm saying he can't be an NFL QB playing the way he is right now. If he develops as a passer, absolutely he could be the future of the organization.

However, I think people that believe Denver can run this style offense next year with similar success are simply drinking the Tebow kool-aid. With a full offseason, defenses will make adjustments. I was listening to something Trent Dilfer said and agreed (write that one down...lol). Tebow breaks all the rules. Defenses in the NFL are conditioned to play defense a certain way, and Tebow can use that to his advantage. But give those defenses an offseason to breakdown the Denver option and put together a gameplan for when they play Denver, and they will shut that down.

Tebow already leads (or at least did before last week) the league in 3 and outs and has a QB rating outside the top 32 QBs. Defenses are already having success against him...if he doesn't improve dramatically as a passer, not only will Denver lose - they will get blown out in most games, so he won't have the opportunity for his late game magic.

Denver has played an easy schedule and half the teams they've played were missing their starting QB. The Defense has carried the way, allowing 10 fewer points per game than they did with Orton and created far more turnovers.

Yes, there are Tebow-haters that will just hate anything Timmy. But those of us painting a different argument shouldn't be grouped in with those people. We're just saying the smoke and mirrors of this season isn't a recipe for long-term success - at some point, he needs to add some 'conventional' QBing to his repitore.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk