Is Tim Tebow an Awful Quarterback? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Tim Tebow an Awful Quarterback?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Is Tim Tebow an Awful Quarterback?

Postby mattb47 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:04 pm

It has been noted by those who have been watching most closely, however, that the offense is adding things and evolving each week. This is not just an option offense right now, I mean he ran the ball all of 4 times against Minnesota, and it's not like some of the other "running" QBs of the past where they look to run immediately at the first sign of trouble. He has shown the ability to escape and still make a throw downfield rather than just taking off because he's being pressured which is a definite positive for his development.

I just think with what I can see from how he continues to play against NFL defenses and figure them out himself, he's the kind of player who adapts to what is thrown at him and finds a way to make plays anyway. I think the difference between him and someone like a Vince Young or something where Young would be successful for a while and then shut down completely is that Tebow is a smarter football player and can and will make adjustments of his own too.

I don't think he'll ever really be considered an elite QB by any means because he doesn't have the physical tools of a Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Brady, etc. but I think he will be better than those like yourself dgan think he will once defenses "figure him out" and I think he'll be a successful QB for as long as he's able to stay healthy which is what I think will be his toughest task with how he plays.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TaDa » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:03 am

Herm Edwards just made a comment on Mike and Mike that I agree with.

"You sit back and watch Aaron Rodgers and say wow. You sit back and watch Drew Brees and say wow. You sit back and watch Tim Tebow and say REALLY?!?!. He's different, but it's working. Just sit back and enjoy it"
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Postby joejlitz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:17 am

The Broncos did it again. Tebow got the ball with 5 minutes left and down by 10 and threw a TD pass. Marion Barber, stupidly went out of bounds and the Broncos D held CHI.

Tebow makes a couple of throws and Matt Prater (one of the heroes of the game) hits a huge 59-yard FG.

Broncos D starts to collapse in OT, but makes a huge play to cause Barber to fumble. Tebow takes the offense downfield again and Prater wins it with a 55-yard FG in OT.

It's hard to really figure out what is going on. The defense plays great and has for weeks. Tebow only shows up in the 4th quarter, but even in this game, the two FG drives were only "just good enough." Not taking anything away from him or the Broncos. You've gotta believe that these victories are total team victories, but you also have to believe in the magic of Tebow. He provides a spark that motivates everyone to step it up when they need to.

And what is this now? 5 or 6 4th quarter comeback wins for Tebow (some would argue the Broncos)? That is amazing.

NE next week. Worst pass defense in the NFL. Will the Broncos and Tebow do it again?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby TaDa » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:29 am

joejlitz wrote:
NE next week. Worst pass defense in the NFL. Will the Broncos and Tebow do it again?

Coming from a Jets fan, I sure hope so!
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Postby m16a » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:23 am

joejlitz wrote:The Broncos did it again. Tebow got the ball with 5 minutes left and down by 10 and threw a TD pass. Marion Barber, stupidly went out of bounds and the Broncos D held CHI.

Tebow makes a couple of throws and Matt Prater (one of the heroes of the game) hits a huge 59-yard FG.

Broncos D starts to collapse in OT, but makes a huge play to cause Barber to fumble. Tebow takes the offense downfield again and Prater wins it with a 55-yard FG in OT.

It's hard to really figure out what is going on. The defense plays great and has for weeks. Tebow only shows up in the 4th quarter, but even in this game, the two FG drives were only "just good enough." Not taking anything away from him or the Broncos. You've gotta believe that these victories are total team victories, but you also have to believe in the magic of Tebow. He provides a spark that motivates everyone to step it up when they need to.

And what is this now? 5 or 6 4th quarter comeback wins for Tebow (some would argue the Broncos)? That is amazing.

I was a bit skeptical at first, but with each win, and each public jab, I'm coming to be more and more of a fan and have more and more respect for Mr. Tebow. I don't know if he'll have continued longterm success, but he's definitely made his mark on the NFL, completely and utterly undeniable. I don't know what it'll take for Tebow to finally get popular support and his kudos, but beating Tom Brady would certainly go a long way towards it.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:52 pm

This 'thing' they have going on his unreal. I really can't even put a word on it to be honest. I found these win probability charts on another website and I thought I would post them here. All the kid does is win in the 4th quarter. It's also rather interesting to find that they haven't even won a game by more than one score during this streak.

A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:29 pm

The ability to rally and come from behind to win late in the game is great, but I would much prefer to see Pi (TT) not having to do so. What's wrong with building a lead and winning without the drama? Drama is good for ratings and hype, that's it. Until Denver can not be in a weekly circumstance requiring Tebow to pull his Smallville routine to save them, I don't think the team or QB can be called good. I also think that he can't be called awful, because despite the position the 'team' gets into each week, they are still winning. Not like how Charlie Sheen is winning. THat would require moving the team to Vegas. ;-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby mattb47 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:12 am

I wonder what would happen if they let Tebow run the fast paced crazy hurry up offense all the time like they do whenever he has success late in games...maybe they should try it one game and see if maybe that's just the style of offense he thrives most in. I definitely didn't think he would be able to come down and score like that against a defense as good as Chicago's but the guy keeps coming up with just enough plays late in games. I mean 18-24 in the 4th quarter passing after 3-17 before that? Inexplicable really.

One thing you gotta love is that no matter how much everyone makes it completely about what Tebow is doing he continually gives his teammates all the credit which has to endear them to him even more and probably accounts for how hard they play late in games to give him a chance make those drives to win the games for him. His teammates love the guy and I think it's a big reason why the team continues to play well as a whole especially when things get tight late.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:27 am

mattb47 wrote:I wonder what would happen if they let Tebow run the fast paced crazy hurry up offense all the time like they do whenever he has success late in games...maybe they should try it one game and see if maybe that's just the style of offense he thrives most in. I definitely didn't think he would be able to come down and score like that against a defense as good as Chicago's but the guy keeps coming up with just enough plays late in games. I mean 18-24 in the 4th quarter passing after 3-17 before that? Inexplicable really.

One thing you gotta love is that no matter how much everyone makes it completely about what Tebow is doing he continually gives his teammates all the credit which has to endear them to him even more and probably accounts for how hard they play late in games to give him a chance make those drives to win the games for him. His teammates love the guy and I think it's a big reason why the team continues to play well as a whole especially when things get tight late.

Everyone loves everybody when your winning. I think in the NFL, too much is made of "inspiration" on winning teams. Losing teams have leaders too...they have guys that "believe in eachother". The idea that Tebow is a special guy that instills that belief I think is overblown. He is a great leader, but that doesn't make him better than other leaders around the NFL...and would anyone be listening or caring what he had to say if Prater misses a couple of these game winning FGs or these crazy mistakes by the other teams hadn't happened and Tebow was 3-5 right now?

I understand the amazement of his comeback ability. But if his crappy play in the first 3 quarters was causing them to be down by 20 points in the 4th quarter, he wouldn't even have the opportunity to do this. Would he be successful in Cleveland or Arizona or one of these other bad teams with defenses giving up tons of points and you're losing by double digits every week? No 4th quarter comeback chances there.

Remember, VY had a great start to his career too. I just think people should enjoy the Broncos for what they are this year, and stop holding on to this frenzied need by society to prove Tebow is some special kind of awesome.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby joejlitz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:39 am

dgan wrote:Everyone loves everybody when your winning. I think in the NFL, too much is made of "inspiration" on winning teams. Losing teams have leaders too...they have guys that "believe in eachother". The idea that Tebow is a special guy that instills that belief I think is overblown. He is a great leader, but that doesn't make him better than other leaders around the NFL...

Why not? A great leader does more than inspire. When the chips are down, the leader finds the solution and leads the team to victory. Guys on the Panthers may think Cam Newton is a great QB and a great leader, but he doesn't lead the team to win.

dgan wrote:Remember, VY had a great start to his career too. I just think people should enjoy the Broncos for what they are this year, and stop holding on to this frenzied need by society to prove Tebow is some special kind of awesome.

Most of the rest of your comment was about how this is a team effort and "Yay Tebow" but it's not really him. I don't deny it is a team effort. But right here, right now the guy is special and he is some "kind of awesome." I don't know how that can be denied.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk