Okay seriously, how does this happen? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Okay seriously, how does this happen?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Okay seriously, how does this happen?

Postby lmcjaho » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:51 pm

Can someone please explain how both Chicago and Houston passed on McNabb on waivers?

Caleb Hanie looked terrible last week and they are trying to hold on to the WildCard in the NFC. I get that McNabb is not great either, but he's got to be worth a shot at least, no?

And Houston honestly has more faith in their 3rd-stringer rookie to pilot them to their first playoff game in franchise history?!?

If Chicago misses the playoffs, or Houston goes one-and-done in the first round and either QB is the main problem then both organizations need their front office staff to be smacked in the head for not taking a shot on McNabb here. :-?
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Okay seriously, how does this happen?

Postby FFslacker » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:28 am

They may feel that he just doesn't have anything left to offer at this point in his career. There is also another very likely reason that by letting him become a free agent they can pick him up for the league minimum rather than having to fulfill his 1.5 million dollar contract had they signed him before he cleared the waiver.
FFslacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby DraftDodger » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:49 am

I hate it when Harlan Ellison posts anonymously on football sites. Anyways, yeah McNabb seems worth the gamble, sort of the devil you know versus the one you don't.

Teams are going to be calling Y.A. Tittle if many more QBs go down ...
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:45 pm

Problem is, I dunno how much of either of those offenses McNabb could pick up in the next 3-4 weeks. If he can't pick up the offense, he cant really help either of those teams. Granted, I don't know how different Minnesota's offense was from Houston's or Chicago's. Chicago would be interesting given that I believe he grew up there...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:40 am

I think, sometimes, that teams/coaches drink too much of their own Koolaide. They think they can turn scabs into game managers and so don't need to try and take on a new QB, teach him the O and hope he does well. Especially true in the case of McNabb. Not sure why, but the guy doesn't inspire his teammates to speak well of him. No love out of the toxic wastedump known as Phillie, wore out his welcome with Skins and Vikes in short order. Oh BTW, there was also some really bad QB play in Minnie this year. That kind of odor follows a guy around.
That said, can't think of a reason the Bares don't try him out. More importantly, dunno why these teams don't try and have some plans on hand for fillers for when a Martz QB gets hurt. I mean, that almost never happens, right? :-b So why was there nobody ready to take over?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:20 pm

I'm going to disagree on this one. I mean, have you seen McNabb either of the last 2 years? After how bad he was in DC, there was no reason for the Vikings to even want him, yet he got that contract. Then, he was absolutely horrible and got benched for a rookie. I know that Hanie and Yates aren't playing great, but what possibly leads you to believe McNabb has enough left in the tank to be any better?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattb47 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:42 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I'm going to disagree on this one. I mean, have you seen McNabb either of the last 2 years? After how bad he was in DC, there was no reason for the Vikings to even want him, yet he got that contract. Then, he was absolutely horrible and got benched for a rookie. I know that Hanie and Yates aren't playing great, but what possibly leads you to believe McNabb has enough left in the tank to be any better?

Agree...McNabb hasn't convinced me he would be much of an upgrade over most anyone in the NFL right now no matter how bad they might be playing. At least the guys who are with the teams already know the system...McNabb isn't playing well to begin with and then throwing him on a brand new offense would only make it worse. I wouldn't call him if I was these teams either.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:22 pm

mattb47 wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I'm going to disagree on this one. I mean, have you seen McNabb either of the last 2 years? After how bad he was in DC, there was no reason for the Vikings to even want him, yet he got that contract. Then, he was absolutely horrible and got benched for a rookie. I know that Hanie and Yates aren't playing great, but what possibly leads you to believe McNabb has enough left in the tank to be any better?

Agree...McNabb hasn't convinced me he would be much of an upgrade over most anyone in the NFL right now no matter how bad they might be playing. At least the guys who are with the teams already know the system...McNabb isn't playing well to begin with and then throwing him on a brand new offense would only make it worse. I wouldn't call him if I was these teams either.

no question McNabb seems all but done, but we are talking about Hanie. McNabb has to be more of a threat to a D than Hanie. I mean, there were rumors of Favre for crying out loud. lol. Desperate is as desperate does.
the real fault is that the Bears, and other teams, should be more diligent about having a useable back up QB.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:54 pm

moochman wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

no question McNabb seems all but done, but we are talking about Hanie. McNabb has to be more of a threat to a D than Hanie. I mean, there were rumors of Favre for crying out loud. lol. Desperate is as desperate does.
the real fault is that the Bears, and other teams, should be more diligent about having a useable back up QB.

I'm not sure Hanie's that bad of a backup QB though. The big problem is that Cutler was so good for that team; the Bears offensive line is bad, and the WR/TE are bad (Knox/Hester/Bennett aren't impressive). Now with no Forte or Cutler, they have no offensive players left at all...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:36 am

With such a shaky Oline, wouldn't it be that much more important to have someone who has been in the fire more than Hanie? The dude looked beyond lost out there last Sunday. McNabb, McCown or some other retread QB would have at least had experience enough to know to bail, bomb away, or just lie in a fetal position. Its that bad in Chi-town

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk