Handcuffing STUDS for the playoffs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Handcuffing STUDS for the playoffs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Handcuffing STUDS for the playoffs

Postby mikey » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:31 pm

OK, so I'm a rookie and am preparing for my first playoff. Gonna be the 2nd seed (8-5 record).

One thing I've done (maybe foolishly) is load up on the back ups for my studs (Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis and Marc Bulger... although Bulger hasn't really proven to be one recently). This means I have Larry Johnson, Chester Taylor and Kurt Warner on my roster.

First, is this a good move or am I wasting roster spots.

Second, with Johnson getting into legal trouble today, should I go after Derrick Blaylock instead (and if so, drop Johnson or someone else)?

(I realize this question could go in either this or the drop/add forum, but the bigger question about handcuffs seems appropriate for in here).

Thanks.

QB: Bulger, Kitna, Warner
RB: Holmes, Lewis, Pittman, M. Bennett, L. Johnson, C. Taylor
WR: Owens, Moulds, Jackson, Burress
TE: Shockey
K: Wilkins
D: Carolina

- 10 Team Non-Keeper League
- Start 1 QB; 2 RBs; 2 WRs; 2 Flex; 1 TE; 1K; 1 D
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:52 pm

Since it's a 10 team league, I bet there are better options than Warner, Taylor, and Johnson or the FA list.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:53 pm

this is excatly what I do come playoff time,,trim the fat and pick up backups,,,,,,,this is a fine system,,,the last thing you want is to second guess yourself,,,,,,you've all been there.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby Wesley Walker » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:02 pm

Kevan Barlow and, up 'til a few weeks ago, Michael Bennett were free agents in my league. I've got Stephen Davis, Deuce, Hasselbeck, and McNair but figure that Barlow and Bennett will be much more valuable that the backups tp those guys even if one of my studs does get injured. Don't expect some shmoe to be able to hop off the bench and be able to play like your stud.

The one POSSIBLE exception may be in Carolina. They are SO commited to the run and if Davis got hurt, I really think we would see a large dose of DeShaun Foster.

But for now, I'm satisfied with Barlow and Bennett.

The other thing is that if someone gets injured, they're likely to be listed as probable or questionable, and you're stuck now knowing whether they'll play or not. The best option might be to play them anyway. But if they don't start, thy could come in later and seriously eat into the playing time of their backup. Probably safer to play a feature back or starter on another team, even if that person isn't of the studly status.

So, no, I'm not a big proponent of handcuffing studs.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:02 pm

I think it's a good strategy and I usually do the same thing. Having CPepp and Ahman on my roster, I also have Frerotte, Davenport and Tony Fisher. The question I usually ask myself is "if my stud went down, would I even play the backup?" I would start either Frerotte or Davenport.

Fisher was valuable to me during last year's playoffs when Ahman was hurt.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby machine3 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:01 pm

i would rather have blaylock than johnson
machine3
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:46 am

machine3 wrote:i would rather have blaylock than johnson

Agreed,

Last time I checked, Johnson wasn't the guy spelling Priest last week.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:34 am

Good/Bad or just ones preference, there is no wrong answer here. But this is what I attempt to do every year in FF when the trade deadline and playoffs are near. I'll use my 10 team used to be 5 keepers this year 4 league 1qb,1wr,1rb,1any,,,,,,,come deadline being in the hunt for 1st, I "TRIM THE FAT" I stick with my "STUDS" or my starters come this time,,,there are no bye- weeks and forget matchups tooo much second guessing KILLS ya in the post season. so when I Trim the fat,,,I first of try to trade players of value to teams edging on making the post season for draft picks,,,,1- its a good draft pick cuz of there pos. in the standings 2- this player is now dead wieght to me.

example,,,my starters the rest of the way.
Hasslebeck---I traded Culpepper
Alexander
Portis---I now own Griffin and Morris ( and some dude named T.Jones)
Harrison
C.Johnson------these guys don't see the bench.
blah blah blah,,,,,so there it is in a nutshell,,,,now whats wrong with this system???????
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Return to Football Talk