Roto vs Playoffs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Roto vs Playoffs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Roto vs Playoffs?

Postby Aberfoyle » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:46 pm

So this is the third year I have been in a keeper league. Its been fine until this year when 2 teams dropped out and we were left with 10 teams plus a bunch of stud players to divide up. Some how the number of playoff teams stayed the same at 6. So the 6th seeded team had a 5-8 record which is total garbage and still made the playoffs. Anyways, I lost to this team because romo got another 46 seconds to toss the ball around at the end of the cowboys game.

Obviously, my season is over and whatever. Going forward, why is it not better to play a pure roto league vs playoffs? In a roto league, your win loss record/points scored determines the winner, and you get to play out a full season. Why is everyone so gung-ho about playoff leagues and not roto leagues. I guess with playoff leagues, the 4-6 ranked team can still pull some miracle bs league win purely on 2-3 weeks of end of season nonsense.
Aberfoyle
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Roto vs Playoffs?

Postby Hags888 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Roto leagues are a COMPLETELY different kind of format, and my guess is, people like the divisional/playoff format for fantasy football, because that is what the NFL uses. It's more fun to mimic the NFL in fantasy football. In a roto league, head-to-head matchups don't exist, and the only thing that is important is the end of the year stat total. Some people like that type of format, but for me, I prefer the divisional, head-to-head format, because it feels more like an NFL schedule. To each their own, and each format has it's own positives and negatives.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Roto vs Playoffs?

Postby chargersdiehard » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:49 am

I agree with Haggs. The divisional format resulting in a playoff is the only type of leauge that I have joined. Even the real NFL allows for that stuff to happen. Look at Denver 8-8 in the playoffs and beating a 12-4 team. That's what happens in the real thing and that's what most people want to happen in fantasy football. I'm sure Roto is a fun concept as well but I will always stay with the divisional league/playoff format.
chargersdiehard
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner