what is a "sack"? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

what is a "sack"?

Moderator: Football Moderators

what is a "sack"?

Postby patterson4president » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:24 am

long story short, I win if pittsburgh's final offensive play (in shotgun, snap over BB's head, he flops on ball to cover it and gets touched up behind the line of scrimmage)? Is this a sack? from what i can surmise from unofficial posts is that a sack is a discretion call, but should be awarded for all tackles behind the line of scrimmage on a play where the QB intends to throw the ball. Cleary the intent of the play would have been to throw (shotgun, 3rd down and they threw the prior two plays). Is this a sack.? where is an official definition? it has not been credited as a sack as of yet, but elias could change that......anyone know how to contact elias?
patterson4president
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: what is a "sack"?

Postby m16a » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:04 am

Wikipedia article wrote:To be considered a sack the quarterback must intend to throw a forward pass. If the play is designed for the quarterback to rush (run) the ball, any loss is subtracted from the quarterback's rushing total. If the quarterback's intent is not obvious, statisticians use certain criteria, such as the offensive line blocking scheme, to decide. Unique situations where a loss reduces a quarterback's rushing total (not a sack) are "kneel downs" (used to run time off the game clock)

A player will receive credit for half of a sack when multiple players contribute to the sacking of a quarterback.

I was just looking at this the other day. That's the definition of the rule on what constitutes a sack on the wikipedia article.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby patterson4president » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:54 am

so by that definition.....y wasn't the aforementioend mnf play ruled a sack? sounds like a sack to me
patterson4president

Postby m16a » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:14 am

patterson4president wrote:so by that definition.....y wasn't the aforementioend mnf play ruled a sack? sounds like a sack to me

I did not see the play in question, but based on your description and the definition from the article, that would sound like a sack.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby joejlitz » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:58 am

m16a wrote:
patterson4president wrote:so by that definition.....y wasn't the aforementioend mnf play ruled a sack? sounds like a sack to me

I did not see the play in question, but based on your description and the definition from the article, that would sound like a sack.

Yup. Did the scoring eventually reflect it as a sack?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby patterson4president » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:05 am

nope, unfortunatley the ruling was never changed
patterson4president

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting