Deciding Draft Order - Format suggestions? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Deciding Draft Order - Format suggestions?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Deciding Draft Order - Format suggestions?

Postby Hags888 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:27 pm

Hey All,

So, my 12-team league decided earlier in the year to have final standings determine the draft order, however they also voted on a more creative way to handle it. They decided that each team owner would get to decide which draft position they wanted, and that final standings would decide the order of choosing. So, for example, the last place team would get to choose what draft position they wanted. Perhaps they would choose to draft #3 instead of #1. Then the second place team would get to choose their draft position, and so on until the first place team in the standings has the last choice (aka, whatever is left). They decided to do it this way because they thought that drafting 1st wasn't necessarily the best draft position, because we do a snake draft. Some people don't like having to wait through 22 other picks before they get to pick twice in a row.

SO, my question is, how can I format the choosing of draft order without making it too complicated, and also by eliminating any chance of collusion in the choosing of draft order? I want it to be completely transparent so that nobody assumes either myself or anyone else is cheating, and I want to run as quickly as possible. If I do it via email, it would take weeks and weeks to hear back from 11 people individually. Based on the format, I have to wait to get a response from one team owner before I can move onto the next team owner. Anyway, I thought I'd run it by you all first before I decided on a format. Any ideas?
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Deciding Draft Order - Format suggestions?

Postby stomperrob » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:32 pm

If I do it via email, it would take weeks and weeks to hear back from 11 people individually. Based on the format, I have to wait to get a response from one team owner before I can move onto the next team owner.

In a league I'm in we had people list their preferences for the draft in order (eg - 12th place is guaranteed to get his choice so he only needs to list what spot he wants to draft in; 11th place is gonna get his second choice at worst so he only needs to list his 1st & 2nd choice for draft position, 10th place will one of his 3 preferences so he needs to list his top three choices, etc, etc)
Last edited by stomperrob on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Hags888 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:08 am

That's a really great idea, and I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion!
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)

Postby murphysxm » Mon May 14, 2012 10:25 am

I'm in a league that does this as well and we just do it by email. It usually only takes about 3-4 days to get through all 12 owners. If it's a league with active owners, you shouldn't have any issues getting people to respond. BTW, it is great to have the control over where you pick. We don't do it on last year's standings, it's straight blind draw.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby DeathStar » Sat May 19, 2012 10:59 am

Every year before the draft we go to the gocart track and run a mini grand prix to determine our draft order.
DeathStar
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Commissioner's Corner