The refs blew it in the Ravens/Pats game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The refs blew it in the Ravens/Pats game

Moderator: Football Moderators

The refs blew it in the Ravens/Pats game

Postby joejlitz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:34 am

Lee Evans had the ball in his hands and his gut in the endzone. After that, the defender knocked it out of his possession.

I don't know exactly what the rule is, but I know it is different in the end zone than it is in the field of play. With under 2 minutes to play in the game, I absolutely can't believe the officials did not call for a replay to verify the call. A trip to the super bowl was on the line. :-t

(yes - I know the BAL kicker blew the short FG; that's not the point of this post, though).
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The refs blew it in the Ravens/Pats game

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:41 am

Totally agree with this:
joejlitz wrote:I absolutely can't believe the officials did not call for a replay to verify the call. A trip to the super bowl was on the line.

Really - what is the point of having a replay official in the final 2 minutes of the game. This is a Conference Championship game - a Super Bowl bid is on the line. I don't agree that it should have been a TD, but I think you need to make that call and at the very least take another look at it just to confirm.

Either have reply or don't have it at all :-t
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Free John Beck » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:08 pm

they said on mike & mike this morning that the play was looked at upstairs and confirmed. if the calvin johnson TD week 1 vs the bears last year didn't count, no way you can count that one.
Free John Beck
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dgan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Free John Beck wrote:they said on mike & mike this morning that the play was looked at upstairs and confirmed. if the calvin johnson TD week 1 vs the bears last year didn't count, no way you can count that one.

x2. Unfortunately, this play wasn't even close. If he had gotten both feet down and was in the process of a THIRD step, that would be a close call. This was not. The rule that applies is the same rule in the field of play regarding catch/fumble vs. incompletion. If the defender makes contact simultaneous to possession (second foot coming down) and the ball comes loose, it is an incomplete pass. Even had he swatted the ball out after the second foot came down, the "process" that we hear so much about these days would not have been completed until he made a move with the ball or began taking his third step.

Hate the Pats...Why Cundiff?!? Why?!!?
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Free John Beck wrote:they said on mike & mike this morning that the play was looked at upstairs and confirmed. if the calvin johnson TD week 1 vs the bears last year didn't count, no way you can count that one.

Even if it was looked at upstairs and "confirmed" it was after the play had been decided I'm sure since they don't confirm "non-scoring plays" there would of had to been a booth review by the ref
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby moochman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:17 am

dgan wrote:

x2. Unfortunately, this play wasn't even close. If he had gotten both feet down and was in the process of a THIRD step, that would be a close call. This was not. The rule that applies is the same rule in the field of play regarding catch/fumble vs. incompletion. If the defender makes contact simultaneous to possession (second foot coming down) and the ball comes loose, it is an incomplete pass. Even had he swatted the ball out after the second foot came down, the "process" that we hear so much about these days would not have been completed until he made a move with the ball or began taking his third step.

Hate the Pats...Why Cundiff?!? Why?!!?

this is the can of worms the league opened when they decided to use legalize rather than common sense in judging what is and is not a catch. John Madden had a book titled "One Knee Equals Two Feet." back when you only need to have possession and two feet, or one knee, in bounds for a catch to be legal. Now you have to complete some vague, hazy thing call a process of catching a ball that leaves everything up to interpretation. Result is that catches are overturned due to flimsy evidence, ironically, despite that a ball run over a goal line is a TD if it goes over the line regardless of wether the process of running the ball over ended in a fumble. Just doesn't make sense.
Evans didn't hold onto the ball, though, so Ratbirds weren't cheated. (even though we know league mandate was to do all we can to get Pats into SB }:-) :-b )

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Yea, I don't know...to me it was a pretty obvious non-catch especially when you see it played in real time. It's the whole "completing the catch" thing they're all about now on those kind of plays and he definitely didn't have the ball long enough and definitely didn't have the ball with two feet down in the endzone to even make it questionable in my eyes. And I dislike the Pats just as much as anyone else (easily one of my least favorite teams in sports overall), but I still didn't think it was a catch from the first time I saw it.

I think I could see where people may be upset there wasn't a replay official looking at it again but I don't think it would have changed a thing in this case so I think it is a moot point overall. It may not have gone their way, but that call didn't "cost" the Ravens the game, they had their chances and they didn't come through.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk