Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning

Postby mattb47 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:30 pm

I'm curious to see what people think here as to an actual comparison of these two guys. I think for the past few years we've been seeing a more similar type of situation that Brady has been in to what Peyton had been dealing with for years. Some talent on offense and the ability to put up some big points but no real defense to speak of which puts all the pressure on the QB to win every single game. We've also seen in that time that Brady has not had as much success as he did early on when the Patriots had one of the better defenses in the NFL.

I did see and read the article on ESPN but it has been something I have thought about a lot over the years and especially how the Patriots just seem so much more "beatable" now that the defense isn't what it was before. I also think that we might be seeing just how mediocre Peyton Manning's supporting cast really has been all these years and maybe not quite as talented of a group as people made it out to be...I think both Brady and Manning have the talent of making people look a whole lot better and more talented than they really are.

So it begs the question, with the same personnel, situation, defense, etc...who would you take? Tom Brady or Peyton Manning?
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Short answer, Peyton is by far the better quarterback. New England has had the better coaching/drafting/FA moves over the years. Hence w/o Peyton, two wins, without Brady, Pats still make the playoffs. Credit Belichick, as much as I hate to say it.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby dgan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:47 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Short answer, Peyton is by far the better quarterback. New England has had the better coaching/drafting/FA moves over the years. Hence w/o Peyton, two wins, without Brady, Pats still make the playoffs. Credit Belichick, as much as I hate to say it.

I pretty much agree with this 100%. However, I will say Brady deserves the credit for being the best system QB since Montana. Just like Montana could never have done what Marino was doing in his situation, he was perfect for the system they ran. I think the Brady/Manning parallel is very similar (while Marino did have more around him than Manning, that was pre-free agency so some of the opposing teams in Marino's time were absolutely stacked and they never had the personnel to beat the best). No one does more to carry a lesser team than Manning has, and no one has operated a system the way Brady has.

The big difference is that Walsh was a genius and likeable...Belicheat is a genius and a di**

Side note: Has anyone heard the Mike and Mike song "He's Brady and he knows it". Frickin' hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B42A_4Fb-Dw
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby petedog9 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:47 pm

That song is funny.. This is my favorite Brady Parody song ever.. This is pure genius.. Listen to the words.. LOL :-D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ufwukWgKfI
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby petedog9 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:53 pm

Speaking of Manning.. I find it very interesting to see where he lands. As a Fitz owner I am prayig for AZ. Fitz coupled with (a healthy) Manning would make for fantasy gold IMO.

This:

"Larry Fitzgerald will dine with Peyton Manning this week in Indianapolis.
Tom James of the Terre Haute Tribune-Star reports that Fitzgerald and Manning are friends, but Fitz hopes Manning will "consider the Cardinals" after he's released by the Colts. It's particularly notable because Fitzgerald was Kevin Kolb's biggest supporter all last offseason. ESPN's Adam Schefter has reported that Arizona will be in the hunt for Manning this spring. "

Source Roto:
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby biju » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:09 pm

Have to agree with scottaa1 on this one. If the two of them were switched we'd be looking at Matt Cassel part two in Indy and Manning would have about 7 rings.

As for where Peyton Manning lands, obviously if he's healthy I can see only a few teams that wouldn't at least take a look at bringing him in. I'd vote for Seattle because with an actual defense (yes, Seattle was top 10 in 2011) and a solid running game (Marshawn will be back--book it!) the team would be an instant contender.

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:27 pm

Manning's doctor, but not the Colts medical staff, has cleared him to return to play in the NFL. Irsay is keeping it hush during SB week, but did tweet (sigh) in the wee hours this morning
Peyton has not passed our physical nor has he been cleared to play for The Indianapolis Colts. Team statement coming on Friday. - Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay via a tweet on Twitter at 1:25 a.m. this morning.

Peyton Manning received medical clearance to return to the NFL in 2012 during a postoperative visit Wednesday with the surgeon who performed the Sept. 8 spinal fusion procedure on the Indianapolis Colts quarterback.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012020 ... ts-Manning

as glad as I am to see that he seems to not have a permanent physical impairment, I just can't imagine seeing him in anything but a Colts uniform. Maybe this is what Montana and Favre fans felt like. :~(
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby biju » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:15 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Manning's doctor, but not the Colts medical staff, has cleared him to return to play in the NFL. Irsay is keeping it hush during SB week, but did tweet (sigh) in the wee hours this morning
Peyton has not passed our physical nor has he been cleared to play for The Indianapolis Colts. Team statement coming on Friday. - Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay via a tweet on Twitter at 1:25 a.m. this morning.

Peyton Manning received medical clearance to return to the NFL in 2012 during a postoperative visit Wednesday with the surgeon who performed the Sept. 8 spinal fusion procedure on the Indianapolis Colts quarterback.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012020 ... ts-Manning

as glad as I am to see that he seems to not have a permanent physical impairment, I just can't imagine seeing him in anything but a Colts uniform. Maybe this is what Montana and Favre fans felt like. :~(

Hell, Seahawks fans didn't like seeing Matt Hasselbeck in a different shade of blue. I can't imagine what Colts fans feel...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mattb47 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:58 am

scottaa1 wrote:Short answer, Peyton is by far the better quarterback. New England has had the better coaching/drafting/FA moves over the years. Hence w/o Peyton, two wins, without Brady, Pats still make the playoffs. Credit Belichick, as much as I hate to say it.

I agree with this idea as well...it seems for years most I have seen have seem to think that Brady was the better QB and pointing to all the success he has had in the playoffs and things but I do honestly believe that in the same situation with the same personnel that Manning would consistently outperform Brady overall.

I would love to see Manning go to a team with a real legit #1 WR talent like a Fitzgerald because can you imagine the kinds of numbers they would put up together? I mean Fitz performs well on terribly thrown balls just in his general direction, imagine him catching perfectly thrown passes in stride on a game to game basis...it would be almost unfair.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:17 pm

I think the stronger arguement may be which Manning is the better QB? The titles may very well stack up for Eli. Peyton plays in a gimmicky system, if you would, with the QB having so much say in which plays will be run. Given the talent at his disposal could it be that he may have not won as many titles as he should have? Now take Eli threatening to win his second ring with a team that was struggling to make it into the playoffs. The Giants, like the Pats, are pretty flawed on D, (hmm. weren't the Colts excuses the D?) yet somehow Eli has led his team to the big game. Conversely, the arguement for Peyton vs Brady also has issues, largest to me is the lack of titles for Brady after the cheating was revealed. And Manning won his only title after the league stopped letting opposing secondaries clutch and grab so much. (who was that team?)
Mathematicly I have to go with Brady, but should the Giants win tomorrow Eli deserves serious consideration as the answer when the question of Brady vs Manning comes up.

Would love to see Peyton in Zona. Raiders would be sweet too. It'll be interesting to see how well he can play outdoors full time. Not as wild about him going to Miami, let him at least play somewhere dryer.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Football Talk