I have an idea for a new type of fantasy football league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

I have an idea for a new type of fantasy football league

Moderator: Football Moderators

I have an idea for a new type of fantasy football league

Postby SeattleNiner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:04 pm

I am putting together an idea for a new type of fantasy football league. And I come into this having never participated in a league. But I have talked to others who have played FFL and I am hoping to solicit some opinions about my idea.

I understand participants don’t like having to mess around with their line-ups too much. In FFL, I see that you only pick players for a few positions, because there are many positions where the stats are difficult to measure (for example OG or a blocking FB. I’ve also noticed that many times defense and special teams are lumped together as a single unit of players. I find that too limiting and it makes the play of individual defensive players and ST players less interesting.

I am envisioning something more along the lines of combining the constant excitement of the stock market with the familiarity of the NFL. Every participant would start the season with the same amount of money, but they have to purchase a player at every position, offense, defense, punter and placekicker (no other ST positions). That would be 24 players total. Each player is pegged with a market value, starting the season with their stats from the prior season or expected stats for rookies.

Once the season commences you put in orders to buy and sell players based on their performance and potential performance. You may buy a rookie cheap and sell him high later in the season or buy a pro bowl player high and watch his stock fall when he gets injured (see Peyton Manning).

The object is not to have the most points at the end of the season but to have the most stock market value. You could have more than 24 players, but you must have enough players to field a team at each position. Failure to field a full team means elimination (although I suppose there could be a buy-in). You could buy, sell and trade players right up until an hour before the first kickoff of the first game of the week.

Stats are tallied at the end of the last game of the week and affect market value. If a player has a really great game, his value could double. If he has a bad game or gets injured, his value would plummet. A player’s value would be constantly in flux: up one minute, down the next, starting the day low and ending the day high; except this market would not close until that first kickoff. It would operate 24 hours a day in between games. The participant with the most market value after the Super Bowl is over is declared the winner.

Tell me what you think? Is this an idea that could work or am I overlooking something important? Thanks. :-D
SeattleNiner
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: I have an idea for a new type of fantasy football league

Postby Indibuck » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Welcome to the Cafe.

It's an interesting idea. Who would set market values, both initially and throughout the season? How would transactions be monitored?

The biggest downfall I see is this: in order to make it work like the stock market, you would have to have a lot of players. I mean a LOT of players. In typical fantasy football, there are 8-16 teams in a league. But unless you are artificially adjusting player values, there would need to be hundreds, if not thousands of players to naturally adjust market values, in my opinion... especially if you are involving EVERY football position.

I think it's an idea that, in theory, could work. But in reality, it sounds more time consuming than traditional fantasy leagues and therefore wouldn't appeal to a lot of the general fantasy public.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Re: I have an idea for a new type of fantasy football league

Postby SeattleNiner » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:27 pm

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the reply.

I agree with you on just about every point. You are right in that this league would require a lot of players. It would operate on an ESPN-like scale. Players would be competing with other players from all around the world. You are right in that there would not be enough interest in a stock market type league if there were only 8-16 players. The real stock market couldn't operate that way.

Football players' values would be affected by two events: their performance during games and the value players place on them when they buy and sell their stock. So like in the real stock market, a football player's value is based on potential: will that player continue to perform better than last week or will his performance drop off? Where I see the big difference is that this kind of a fantasy league is a 24-hour operation. Players would be constantly checking the value of their stock/football players to see if their value has gone up or down; and they would be interested in buying or selling at just the right time.

It is absolutely more time consuming. Yes, that would be the idea. I think that would appeal to some fantasy football players, but probably not most. It is an idea that would require an initial investment of quite a bit of money to get the programming up and running. But the payoff is that fantasy players would become compulsive about their players' market value. And if advertising could be shown every time a trade takes place, there could be a considerable return on investment. It would be a considerable change from the current format of fantasy football, but then isn't fantasy football a considerable change from anything that proceeded it?

I'd love to hear your feedback.
SeattleNiner
Monday Morning Quarterback

Return to Beginner's Forum