Even more Thursday night football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Even more Thursday night football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Even more Thursday night football

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:31 pm

I don't like Thursday night football. I don't like the crew, I don't like how it affects setting lineups, the waiver wire, or Cafe games, to name just a few things I don't like about it. Oh and I don't get nfl network, either, yet another reason not to like it. But it's on for weeks two through 15 next year :-t

Goodell said NFL Network will expand its current eight-game "Thursday Night Football" package starting in Week 2 and running through Week 15.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... aking_news

I think it's time for goodell to step down and be replaced with someone who makes decisions more in line with what I want.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Even more Thursday night football

Postby dream_017 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:33 pm

I get NFL network now and I still don't like it. I end up watching very few of the TNF games and it upsets me that I get to miss them because of other things going on - I can make a day of Sunday and watch - I can also move things around to catch the MNF game - but another extra day just doesn't fit.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:53 pm

dream_017 wrote:I get NFL network now and I still don't like it. I end up watching very few of the TNF games and it upsets me that I get to miss them because of other things going on - I can make a day of Sunday and watch - I can also move things around to catch the MNF game - but another extra day just doesn't fit.

Exactly, and it's compounded by trying to watch any college football on Saturdays.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby dream_017 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:12 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
dream_017 wrote:I get NFL network now and I still don't like it. I end up watching very few of the TNF games and it upsets me that I get to miss them because of other things going on - I can make a day of Sunday and watch - I can also move things around to catch the MNF game - but another extra day just doesn't fit.

Exactly, and it's compounded by trying to watch any college football on Saturdays.

Sadly, college football had to take a back seat for me for a few years. I am just now able to slow things down enough to catch more and more games each season.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:02 pm

Trying to think of any positive aspect of this...maybe now because it actually will be their main revenue stream, they can afford to put a quality crew together. The commentary is awful at best, the camera work is the worst I've ever seen...and I mean, EVER...it's like watching a Div III college game. And there is absolutely nothing fresh or unique about their pregame/halftime analysis - just "hey this works for Fox, and this works for NBC, and this is the only good thing about CBS...yeah, do all of those!"

When Alex Flannagan is the highlight of the game, you have problems. Because in any other context, she scares me....
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:30 pm

More football on TV? How can that be wrong? But it is. Very wrong. I love watching this game more than a person should, but the Thursday night games have always been a bit of overkill. Now having them almost every week just seems obscene, impure. Thursday night football is perfect for a college game. Get some exposure to teams one may not get to see ordinarily. But for the pros, there is the weekend and MNF. It helped make the game the pasttime that it is, over exposure will do nothing to sustain the luster of this once "must see" TV event.

Goodell and his office as presently constructed need to go, they have outlived their usefulness. Give us someone who has the game as the main focal point, not padding owners pockets.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby lmcjaho » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:57 pm

Personally I have no problem at all with more Thursday night games as long as they do a better job of scheduling them. They should not do cross-coast games (IE Jets @ Denver) on a short week for example.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:29 pm

lmcjaho wrote:Personally I have no problem at all with more Thursday night games as long as they do a better job of scheduling them. They should not do cross-coast games (IE Jets @ Denver) on a short week for example.

I'm afraid what is more likely is that the Thursday Night game will become the game for misfit franchises. Another edict is that all teams will play in primetime. So, ladies and gentlemen, I bring you, without shame or shred of pride, your Thursday night dream match-up of Cleveland at St Louis in London. :-b

I sure hope they manage to field some interesting match-ups.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:40 am

moochman wrote:over exposure will do nothing to sustain the luster of this once "must see" TV event.

This is what scares me. There is also talk of adding 2 teams in the future. Expanding to add new markets/fans/demographics only upsets that actual fans that make the sport what it is.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby phileyoung » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:11 pm

It's already a mess trying to set lineups and do the waiver wire with Thursday games. I hate they are going to be around all season long.
phileyoung
Monday Morning Quarterback

Next

Return to Football Talk