the Genographic Project - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

the Genographic Project

Moderator: Football Moderators

the Genographic Project

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:01 am

Doubtful many here have heard of this. I hadn't, until my mom asked for it for an Xmas present. I was more than happy to have a kit sent to her since it didn't involve me going to a store and dealing with the masses. She brought the accompanying materials over on Xmas and I looked through them and was interested enough to participate, too, so she sent me a DNA kit that arrived yesterday. Essentially, the project is attempting to collect as many DNA samples from around the world a possible and link them all in order to trace the paths different human groups took to populate the world. More info is at https://genographic.nationalgeographic. ... index.html

Here's the intro blurb that comes on the cover of the DNA kit box:

A map, it has been said, is the greatest of all epic poems. There are few greater epics than the story of our distant ancestors leaving their African cradle and colonizing the earth. Thanks to modern genetics we are following their footsteps and charting their migratory paths. Yet much remains unknown. To help complete this map, National Geographic and IBM, with support from the Waitt Family Foundation, are undertaking the Genographic Project, a globe-spanning effort to collect over 100,000 DNA samples representing a worldwide range of human diversity. Broad public participation is encouraged, for it is a genetic journey we all share. Together we may learn more about who we are, where we came from, and how we related as members of one extended family.

My mom did the X-chromosome test and I'm doing the Y-chromosome test, so I'll have maternal and paternal results. I'm hoping it'll explain things such as why my knuckles drag on the ground when I walk, why my forehead is so much larger than other's, and why I feel a deeply seated remorse when I see a hairless elephant. ;-)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: the Genographic Project

Postby dream_017 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Looks like a pretty cool project. I'll do a bit more reading about it, but this is the first I heard of it.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Not a chance I am getting my DNA on file anywhere without a court order. I might need that anonymity someday when I want to kill someone and get away with it.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby joejlitz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:14 pm

lmcjaho wrote:Not a chance I am getting my DNA on file anywhere without a court order. I might need that anonymity someday when I want to kill someone and get away with it.

Word. This is a conspiracy set up by the man.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Return to General Talk