Microwaveless - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Microwaveless

Moderator: Football Moderators

Microwaveless

Postby dream_017 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:10 pm

My wife has heard a number of people talking about getting rid of their microwave. I would say that we use our infrequently - general re-heating, melting butter or cheese, cooking bacon, etc. Just about everything we do I can see being done with the other tools we have in the kitchen. So, we are going to do it - ditch the microwave. It will free up a bunch of counter space for us too ;-D

Anyone else ditch the microwave?? or never had one?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Microwaveless

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Ditch my atomic oven? you talk crazy, loco-man! I use mine too much for little things. I'm very 'conventional' oven-wise and do most cooking myself but the 'wave still is handy for the things you mentioned, as well as heating water for tea, and the occasional boston market or marie calendar's frozen dinner when I'm just feeling lazy.

I have a separate stand for it so it doesn't take up counter space. In fact, the stand holds the microwave, toaster, toaster oven, and has hooks to hold the most commonly used pots and pans, and cabinet space underneath for the largest kitchen items like a stock pot, crock pot, casserole dishes, etc., so it's really not in the way and indeed adds alot of storage to the kitchen in a free-standing, out of the way manner.

I suppose I could get by without a 'wave of course. It is a PITA to clean, that's for sure.

So, who here is old enough to remember the days before the advent of the microwave? I remember when I was a kid and we first got one. I immediately learned how to burn such things as mac and cheese, franks and beans, and my hand. It even came with a radiation detector, which I've still not figure out why.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby dream_017 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:41 pm

scottaa1 wrote:So, who here is old enough to remember the days before the advent of the microwave? I remember when I was a kid and we first got one. I immediately learned how to burn such things as mac and cheese, franks and beans, and my hand. It even came with a radiation detector, which I've still not figure out why.

Raises hand - we also received the radiation detector.

The more I've been thinking about it the past few days - I can think of things that we use it for - like the things you have mentioned - it is for sure a convience item. On the other hand I can also do just about any of those things with a stove and/or oven. It may not be as fast, it may be a bit more clean-up, but overall I am feeling better about not heating my food with 'micro waves'.

The plan is to take it to the basement in the next day or 2 - I have already been thinking about ways to get around using it - so, it may have already made its last 'beep'
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:51 pm

dream_017 wrote:The plan is to take it to the basement in the next day or 2 - I have already been thinking about ways to get around using it - so, it may have already made its last 'beep'

Good thinking to get it out of the kitchen but not out to the curb just yet. See how you do without the convenience for a couple days.

Hmmm... thinking back, TV dinners as they were once called all came in metal containers to withstand heating in the oven. Now, they come in plastic designed for microwave use. I wonder how many modern heat'n'eats can be put in an oven? :-?
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:01 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Hmmm... thinking back, TV dinners as they were once called all came in metal containers to withstand heating in the oven. Now, they come in plastic designed for microwave use. I wonder how many modern heat'n'eats can be put in an oven? :-?

Not sure - luckily we do not have any of those. The frozen stuff we put in the microwave now are more the appitizer type - that can easily be put in the oven. I don't see why they couldn't be transferred to a pan for the oven or even heated on the stove (depending what it is). I'm sure many of them are made special to be able heat in the limited time of a 'wave and may even not taste as good cooking the conventional way.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:03 pm

We hardly use ours either but I'm 100% certain that the day I make a decision like that would be the day we realized just how much of a pain in the *ss it is to do without. LOL
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Because of this thread I've been taking note of how often I use it and what for, and I don't want to get rid of it ;-D 've noticed how old and dirty it is though. I could probably get something twice as efficient at half the size and a quarter of the ugly. Come to think of it I have one of those dorm room sized microwaves upstairs leftover from when I played world of warcraft. I had a minifridge and mini microwave up there by my computer for nights we were raiding :*)
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby dream_017 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:51 pm

I took it downstairs on Tuesday and been fine since. Had to re-heat a couple of things and used the stove with no issues. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. So far so good
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby joejlitz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:08 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Ditch my atomic oven? you talk crazy, loco-man! I use mine too much for little things. I'm very 'conventional' oven-wise and do most cooking myself but the 'wave still is handy for the things you mentioned, as well as heating water for tea, and the occasional boston market or marie calendar's frozen dinner when I'm just feeling lazy.

I have a separate stand for it so it doesn't take up counter space. In fact, the stand holds the microwave, toaster, toaster oven, and has hooks to hold the most commonly used pots and pans, and cabinet space underneath for the largest kitchen items like a stock pot, crock pot, casserole dishes, etc., so it's really not in the way and indeed adds alot of storage to the kitchen in a free-standing, out of the way manner.

I suppose I could get by without a 'wave of course. It is a PITA to clean, that's for sure.

So, who here is old enough to remember the days before the advent of the microwave? I remember when I was a kid and we first got one. I immediately learned how to burn such things as mac and cheese, franks and beans, and my hand. It even came with a radiation detector, which I've still not figure out why.

As much as you cook real food, if you use the cro-wave this much, other people really need to consider whether it is a good idea to ditch it or not.

We have two young kids, so it is great for Spaghettios and hot dogs. Plus, while I HATE the microwave for full cooking, it is good to start some stuff in there, like Corn Dogs and Frozen Pancakes for my boys and Jimmy Deans for me to get them defrosted and then they go in the Toaster Oven to get fully cooked - that way they aren't spongy and chewy. I also make my own meatballs and tomato sauce (gravy for you other Eye-talians) and it doesn't detract from the flavor or consistency to microwave that stuff if I want to reheat it. Come to think of it, reheating a lot of other "real" cooked food is good, too. Chili, chicken dishes, etc. My wife likes the nuker for soup, but I think it screws with the consistency a bit, so I always put mine on the stove in a small pot.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:55 pm

I just used the toaster oven - which resides on the microwave stand - and the wave to make a grilled cheese sandwich, without butter and without getting a skillet dirty. I didn't even want a sandwich. I just felt that I owed something to sandwichdom. and created the skilletless grilled cheese as an act of sheer will.

Alas, it is gone now. Eaten, but not forgotten.

microwave 9,000
no wave -15

microwave = winning
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk