Avril a possible holdout???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Avril a possible holdout???

Postby stomperrob » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Says he will consider it if he gets the franchise tag:
http://www.freep.com/article/20120219/S ... ets-tagged
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Avril a possible holdout???

Postby moochman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:55 pm

I can't say I would be all that upset if he holds out. This team is cash strapped and has some real tough choices to make. Were I king of the Allen Park jungle I wouldn't franchise Avril. I simply don't see the value in over paying someone who is that unproven. One season is an eye opener, three would be a bank opener.

Not sure how Megatron's new deal affects the cap, there could be even less money for the Avril's, Tullock's and Backus's of the world.
"Megatron" got a megadeal. (love the title :-D )
Wide receiver Calvin Johnson signed a new eight-year contract Wednesday, worth $60 million guaranteed, that will keep him a Detroit Lion through 2019.
All-Pro Johnson's deal is worth a reported $132 million total, and the guaranteed money is the most in league history.

This according to the Seatlle Times.com Linkage- http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... nfl15.html

Wonder how this deal is structured? Hard to think of how the Lions will be able to do much for Tullock or Avril, seems they would have to resign and prolly over pay Backus. Sad to think that the cap could keep the Lions from taking that next step. Still nice to think of Megatron terrorizing secondaries around the black and blue division for the next 8 years.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:50 pm

DeAndre Levy plans to sign his restricted free agent tender when he returns to Detroit this weekend for the start of the Lions' off-season conditioning program, a person close to the linebacker said today.

Levy, one of 10 returning starters on the Lions defense, will take part in the voluntary workouts, which begin Monday.

The Lions gave Levy a second-round tender worth $1.92 million before the start of free agency last month. A third-round pick out of Wisconsin in 2009, Levy will be an unrestricted free agent next year.

Levy has started 37 of 43 games in his first three seasons and finished second on the team with 109 tackles last year.

More: http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bg0y9?utm_ ... roit-lions
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:27 pm

Cliff Avril says he won't sign long-term deal with Lions today
3:12 PM, July 16, 2012
By Dave Birkett
Detroit Free Press Sports

Talks between Cliff Avril and the Detroit Lions broke off about 1 1/2 hours before today's 4 p.m. deadline, and the franchised defensive end told the Free Press he will not be signing a long-term deal today.

Avril is due a guaranteed $10.6 million on a one-year contract this year, the rate for defensive ends under the franchise tag, but it’s unclear whether he’ll sign his tender offer in time for the Lions’ July 26 veteran reporting date.

Avril told the Free Press last week that he planned to fly to New York to meet with his agent, Brian Mackler, if he didn’t have a long-term deal by today. He then would decide on his next course of action.

Mackler and Lions president Tom Lewand did not immediately return phone calls from the Free Press seeking comment.

Avril has been working out at Total Performance in Wixom most of the off-season and is not required to report to the team until he signs his contract.

con't...

more: http://www.freep.com/article/20120716/S ... s-contract
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:57 pm

'Disappointed' Cliff Avril can't agree to long-term deal with Lions
6:02 PM, July 16, 2012
By Dave Birkett
Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

Franchised defensive end Cliff Avril failed to reach a long-term agreement with the Detroit Lions by today’s 4 p.m. deadline and will play the season on a one-year contract.

Avril, who’ll make a guaranteed $10.6 million this year, the rate for defensive ends under the franchise tag, said he was “kind of disappointed that it didn’t happen” and “probably won’t be there” when Lions veterans report July 26.

“Definitely something I wanted, definitely wanted to be here long-term," Avril said. "I wanted to get something done. I want to be with the Lions, I want to be in Detroit, but we’ll be back at the same situation next year, unfortunately. Got to go through with all this extra stuff that I usually don’t get involved in, as far as with the media and all that stuff. It is what it is, though. I’m not salty about it at all."

Avril said he’ll meet with his agent, Brian Mackler, this weekend and decide on his next course of action. The Lions open training camp July 27, and Avril said he’ll probably make it to his son’s first birthday party in Indianapolis the first week of August, though he was hoping to just send a gift.

Lions president Tom Lewand did not immediately return a phone call from the Free Press seeking comment.

“After extensive discussions with Cliff and his representative, we were unable to reach an agreement on a new contract by today’s 4 p.m. deadline," Lewand said in a released statement. "While we are disappointed that we could not execute a long-term deal, we do look forward to having Cliff with us this season under the terms of the franchise tender.”

con't...

more: http://www.freep.com/article/20120716/S ... s-contract
stomperrob

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Geez, one of the few guys on our team that isn't in trouble with the law, and he doesn't want to stay here. :-t

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:59 am

Cliff Avril's holdout begins today as veterans report to Lions camp
12:32 PM, July 26, 2012
By Carlos Monarrez
Detroit Free Press Sports

Cliff Avril’s holdout officially began today when he did not report to the Detroit Lions for training camp, and coach Jim Schwartz said he has no idea of when he expects to see his star defensive end at the team’s training facility in Allen Park.

“I really have no expectations there,” Schwartz said. “We have 89 other guys and we’re going to coach those guys and not worry about when Cliff’s going to be here.”

Last year, Avril had 11 sacks and led NFL defensive linemen with six forced fumbles and two touchdowns. But he and the Lions were unable to agree on a long-term contract by the July 16 deadline. That means he will play this season under the franchise tag for $10.6 million — when and if he shows up.

Avril and his agent have not responded to messages or refused comment lately. Previously, they had been vague about how long Avril would hold out.

Schwartz said he has stayed in touch with Avril and that their relationship has remained amicable. “I think we can easily separate football from business,” Schwartz said.

Schwartz conceded that Avril, a four-year veteran, would not be affected by his absence as much as a younger player.

con't...

more: http://www.freep.com/article/20120726/S ... il-holdout
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Lions signed franchise player LE Cliff Avril to a one-year, $10.605 million contract.
He showed up at camp on Sunday. As usually happens with franchise players, Avril caved and only wound up missing about a week of practices. Though still unsatisfied with his one-year deal, Avril's decision to report to camp confirms he will play on the guaranteed tender and almost certainly test unrestricted free agency next spring, at age 27. A dynamic pass rusher who's only getting better, Avril has 19.5 sacks over the past two seasons. The smart money says this'll be his final year in Detroit. Source: Tim Twentyman on Twitter Aug 5 - 8:30 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/ ... -headlines
stomperrob

Return to Detroit Lions