Passing TD's: 4pts vs 6pts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Commissioner's Corner

Passing TD's: 4pts vs 6pts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Passing TD's: 4pts vs 6pts

Postby Devil Doc » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:20 am

I've ALWAYS been bothered by the fact that some leagues, DE value the passing TD to 4 points vs the 6 that every other player recieves. So I thought I'd just put it out there and get everyone elses thoughts.

Me personally, I think TD's should be 6 across the board REGARDLESS of position. If a league wants to add PPR, then so be it, but it shouldn't be added because QB's are getting the same points for a TD. (IMHO I hate PPR as well, 4 catches for 30 yds shouldn't give you 7 points.)

The degree of difficulty for a person to throw a TD and a RB to run for a TD to me isn't that big of a difference. There are times when a designed 5 yard WR screen breaks out for a 90 yd TD. But I'd almost equate that to a goal line carry for a TD. Neither or easy by any means, but one could make an argument for it.

Just curious to what others thought....
Image
Thanks to Franchise Fan for this kick ass sig!

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 1666
(Past Year: 92)
Joined: 8 Mar 2011
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field

Re: Passing TD's: 4pts vs 6pts

Postby sorcerer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:46 am

I’m not sure how qualified this makes me to comment on this subject, since we don’t use a “standard” scoring format. Our TD’s are worth 3 points and passing TD’s are worth 2. Roughly translated, that would be 6 for a TD and 4 for TD passes in most standard leagues.

The reason for this, in our league anyway, is that QB’s routinely throw 2 or 3 TD passes in a game and that is a very big game for a RB, WR or TE. Many times a QB, such as Rodgers or Brady, will unleash 4 or 5 TD passes in a game and you just don’t see RB’s, WR’s or TE’s scoring 4 or 5 TD’s in a game very often. What this does is even out the scoring among our skill position players.
sorcerer
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

User avatar

Posts: 8
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 15 Dec 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Passing TD's: 4pts vs 6pts

Postby Hags888 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:20 am

Along with what Sorcerer said, QBs routinely put up 200 yards and 2-3 TDs, which is an average stat line for an NFL QB. Compared to WR and RB, this is at least double the yards and TDs...and that's compared to their very best games. So, it all depends on what kind of point totals you want your QBs to have. If you want them to easily double the output of every other position, then go with 10 yards per point and 6 points per TD. But if you want to be a little closer in value to the other positions, then go with a handicap system to help balance it out. That is why many sites use 20 or 25 yards per point and reduce the points on a passing TD to 4. The only reason is to help balance out the QBs.

But that doesn't mean it has to be that way. You can set the point total however you want, but then the elite QBs will all be the first 6 picks in the draft, because they'll easily put up the best points in the game every week. So, having a guy like Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers will have a much higher point total than guys like Mark Sanchez and Christian Ponder, which means that their impact in the league, draft, etc, will also be higher. If you like that kind of impact, then by all means, beef up the points awarded to QBs. I just think that most people like to see at least a little more balance across the positions. Obviously, you wouldn't want it completely even...because I think when a QB and TE are routinely scoring the same number of points, it gets a little dull. But, I also don't like QBs who put up 40 points on a regular basis compared to the 6-8 point TEs either.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 385
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 6 Oct 2009
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Texas

Re: Passing TD's: 4pts vs 6pts

Postby Dolfan19 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:15 pm

I like the balance of the 4 pt QB TDs. If not for that, the head to head matchups would be determined much more heavily by how the QBs perform compared with the entire team. I guess it's just a personal preference. I agree with you about PPR though. I think it's ridiculous that players get points just for catching the ball. Especially because some RBs can easily produce 5 or 6 receptions a game on dump passes at or near the line of scrimmage.
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1372
(Past Year: 53)
Joined: 3 Sep 2010
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami

Re: Passing TD's: 4pts vs 6pts

Postby murphysxm » Mon May 14, 2012 10:32 am

I honestly don't think it matters how you do it. Yes the best QB's will get inflated numbers getting 6 points per TD, but so will the crappy ones. I just don't see the difference being great enough to move the needle.

and PPR is the only way to go! Yes, the dump off receptions are cheap, but should a WR that has 30 yards a TD score the same as a WR that caught 9 passes for 99 yards?
Image
murphysxm
Moderator
Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2596
(Past Year: 212)
Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Passing TD's: 4pts vs 6pts

Postby Dolfan19 » Mon May 14, 2012 12:23 pm

murphysxm wrote: but should a WR that has 30 yards a TD score the same as a WR that caught 9 passes for 99 yards?


Yes! :-b
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1372
(Past Year: 53)
Joined: 3 Sep 2010
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami

Re: Passing TD's: 4pts vs 6pts

Postby spodog » Fri May 18, 2012 9:34 am

Devil Doc wrote:
Me personally, I think TD's should be 6 across the board REGARDLESS of position. If a league wants to add PPR, then so be it, but it shouldn't be added because QB's are getting the same points for a TD. (IMHO I hate PPR as well, 4 catches for 30 yds shouldn't give you 7 points.)

The degree of difficulty for a person to throw a TD and a RB to run for a TD to me isn't that big of a difference. There are times when a designed 5 yard WR screen breaks out for a 90 yd TD.


The 4 Pt for passing and 6 Pt for rushing or receiving standard doesn't have anything to do with how relatively difficult or easy it is for the actual NFL player accomplishing the feat to score.

It is an attempt to normalize the statistical impact of an average passing performance in a game vs an average performance by a back or a receiver.

The reason you see most leagues score the passing TD at 4 points is because NFL QB's touch the ball on every play, and are involved in every passing play, so it is expected that their yardage totals and TD totals will always be higher on average relative to a back or WR.

The 4 Pt passing TD helps to level the playing field so that your aren't bored to death in the 1st round of your fantasy draft with 12 QB's going off the board in picks 1 through 12.
Image
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4058
Joined: 21 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: At my trailer on the beach in Malibu

Re: Passing TD's: 4pts vs 6pts

Postby Devil Doc » Fri May 18, 2012 6:12 pm

spodog wrote:
Devil Doc wrote:
Me personally, I think TD's should be 6 across the board REGARDLESS of position. If a league wants to add PPR, then so be it, but it shouldn't be added because QB's are getting the same points for a TD. (IMHO I hate PPR as well, 4 catches for 30 yds shouldn't give you 7 points.)

The degree of difficulty for a person to throw a TD and a RB to run for a TD to me isn't that big of a difference. There are times when a designed 5 yard WR screen breaks out for a 90 yd TD.


The 4 Pt for passing and 6 Pt for rushing or receiving standard doesn't have anything to do with how relatively difficult or easy it is for the actual NFL player accomplishing the feat to score.

It is an attempt to normalize the statistical impact of an average passing performance in a game vs an average performance by a back or a receiver.

The reason you see most leagues score the passing TD at 4 points is because NFL QB's touch the ball on every play, and are involved in every passing play, so it is expected that their yardage totals and TD totals will always be higher on average relative to a back or WR.

The 4 Pt passing TD helps to level the playing field so that your aren't bored to death in the 1st round of your fantasy draft with 12 QB's going off the board in picks 1 through 12.


You'd be surprised...played in 2 leagues where its 6pts/TD across the board, and in the first round only 3 QB's went...Brees, Brady, Rodgers....but I understand your point.
Image
Thanks to Franchise Fan for this kick ass sig!

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 1666
(Past Year: 92)
Joined: 8 Mar 2011
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field

Re: Passing TD's: 4pts vs 6pts

Postby DeathStar » Sat May 19, 2012 10:44 am

I don't think it really matter what the scoring system is as long as it does a couple of things

1. Isn't too complicated
2. Evens out scoring across every position

It doesn't really matter if QBs get 4 or 6 points as long as it doesn't make the QB THE position to draft. My league has had the same scoring system for 9 years(with QBs getting 6pts/passTD) and maybe 1 QB gets taken in the first round(Usually Rodgers by me) every year. Otherwise it's just your standard RB/WR for the whole 1st round.
DeathStar
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

User avatar

Posts: 9
Joined: 19 May 2012
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Passing TD's: 4pts vs 6pts

Postby goleafsgo96 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Dolfan19 wrote:
murphysxm wrote: but should a WR that has 30 yards a TD score the same as a WR that caught 9 passes for 99 yards?


Yes! :-b


Yes, Concurred :-)

When I orignally started FF I liked passing Td's being 6 points, but the more I play the more I realize 6 points for a passing TD makes QB's far more valuable than RB's and WR's. So now I only play in leagues where it's 4 for a passing TD, 6 for the rest.

You can say it's no less difficult to throw for a passing TD than to rush or catch one, but that statement is both right and wrong. Right in the sense that you're obviously right (duh!) but wrong in the sense that a QB has waaay more opportunities to be part of a touchdown play, since teams pass far more than rush these days, and the QB is in on every single throw (basically) where as the WR's pretty much get 1 in every 3-5 targets from a QB. OBviosuly the average starting QB is throwing 20-25 TD's over a season, where a starting running back is rushing for half that if he is lucky. same goes for any WR.

Thats just my 2 cents, but really you cant go wrong either way.
Image
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2879
Joined: 23 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: bitter about missing the playoffs

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 14:26 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact