Return to Detroit Lions

Lions 2012 draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Lions 2012 draft

Postby stomperrob » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:12 pm

So far:

Round 1, Pick 23 (23)

Riley Reiff OT 6'6" 313 Iowa

Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "This is a good pick. They need help on the offensive line, and he can immediately come in and protect the franchise, Matthew Stafford. He should probably start on the right side first, but he can transition later to the left side."

Round 2, Pick 22 (54)

Ryan Broyles WR 5'10" 192 Oklahoma

Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "The bad news for Detroit is that you don't know how quickly he's going to be available. I gave him a solid second-round grade before he tore his ACL late in the season at Oklahoma. He's a quick, fast, tough-as-nails slot receiver who can provide value in the return game. But you don't know when you'll get him. They're going to have to be patient."

Round 3, Pick 22 (85)

Dwight Bentley CB 5'10" 182 Louisiana-Lafayette

Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "I thought he had a better Senior Bowl week than what I saw on tape. He's quicker than he is fast, and he raised his stock."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/tracker#d ... -input:det
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:30 am

I simply don't get the Broyles pick. Even healthy, we don't need a WR and he couldn't have been the best available. We have Megatron, Titus Young, a still viable Burelson and studly TE in Pettigrew. Is this the price we must pay for the bust Derrick Wiliams WR/KR pick?
Pretty grumpy at this pick. Have to go sleep it off.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:41 pm

I agree Mooch - I think that was some kinda Matt Millen flashback brainfart, not sure what the thinking was there.

Here's the rest:

Round 4, Pick 30 (125) (From 49ers)

Ronnell Lewis OLB 6'1" 253 Oklahoma

Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: The Lions grab a sleeper prospect with the selection of Lewis. He is a bit of a tweener, but he brings solid rush skills and could contribute as a situational player in sub packages.

Round 5, Pick 3 (138) (From Vikings)

Tahir Whitehead OLB 6'1" 233 Temple

Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Whitehead will compete for a spot as a backup player. He will bring size and speed to the kick coverage units and improve the overall athleticism of the roster.

Round 5, Pick 13 (148) (From Raiders)

Chris Greenwood CB 6'1" 193 Albion

Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: The Lions continue to add pieces to their defense with the selection of Greenwood. He is a height-weight-speed project with the ability to make the squad as a fourth or fifth corner.

Round 6, Pick 26 (196) (From Saints through Dolphins and 49ers)

Jonte Green DB 6'0" 184 New Mexico St.

Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Green is another corner the Lions will study to see if they can improve a porous secondary. He will battle for time as a backup/special teams contributor.

Round 7, Pick 16 (223) (From Eagles through Patriots and Vikings)

Travis Lewis OLB 6'1" 246 Oklahoma

Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Lewis is another OLB prospect capable of making a contribution as a special teams star. If he can play well enough on kicking units, he could buy enough time to develop into a quality backup.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/tracker#d ... -input:det
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Gonna be interesting to see how this kid looks in training camp and pre-season:
Posted: 11:07 pm April 28, 2012
Boise's Moore 'excited' to join Lions
By Jeff Reynolds | NFLDraftScout.com
By Frank Cooney
NFLDraftScout.com

Record-breaking Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore was disappointed but not surprised when he was not selected in the 2012 NFL Draft, but he is ready to move on with the Detroit Lions.

"I'm excited, I'm getting my chance in the NFL and that is all that matters," Moore told NFLDraftScout.com after his agent, David Dunn, reached an agreement with the Lions.

The Lions have Matthew Stafford as a starter and Shaun Hill as the backup, but there are a lot of college fans who wouldn't be surprised if Moore manages to make the team, too.

And despite not being among the 253 players drafted, Moore received plenty of attention from the NFL as soon as the draft ended.

"We had a lot of contact, a lot of teams, I really don't even know how many teams, but a lot," Moore said. "I like our decision. I am eager to get back there."

con't...

more: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog ... join-lions
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Tue May 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Post draft FA signings:

Detroit Lions

Elon G Rodney Austin; Penn State G Quinn Barham; Illinois K Derek Dimke; Houston WR Patrick Edwards; William & Mary TE Alex Gottlieb; New Mexico ILB Carmen Messina; Boise State QB Kellen Moore; Weber State OL J.C. Oram; Boise State WR Tyler Shoemaker; Kentucky LB Ronnie Sneed

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... -nfl-teams

Note: Link will be updated when more FA's are signed
stomperrob

Postby moochman » Wed May 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks for the diligent updates Rob. ;-D
Still shaking my head a bit. Have to trust in Not Millen's judgement. Time will tell.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Detroit Lions