Sean Payton suspended for 1 year UPDATE: reinstated - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sean Payton suspended for 1 year UPDATE: reinstated

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sean Payton suspended for 1 year UPDATE: reinstated

Postby stomperrob » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:02 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... aking_news

The NFL announced Wednesday that New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton will be suspended for one season without pay for his involvement in the team's bounty program. Saints general manager Mickey Loomis has been suspended for eight games. Former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been suspended indefinitely.

The NFL revealed March 2 the findings of a lengthy investigation into a Saints "bounty" program that gave thousands of dollars in payoffs to players for hits that knocked opponents out of games. The program, administered by then-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, reached its height in 2009, the season the Saints won the Super Bowl.

The program ran in violation of league rules, and the investigation showed that Saints players received $1,500 for a "knockout" hit and $1,000 for a "cart-off" hit, with payouts doubling or tripling during the team's three playoff appearances.

The NFL Players Association formally requested that the league not punish the 22 to 27 players it cited in the scandal until the union had completed its independent investigation, which is underway, an NFLPA source told NFL.com's Steve Wyche.

The league initially did not respond to the union's request. The NFL told the NFLPA last Thursday, according to SI.com, that it was free to question any current or former Saints officials about the matter, but that it would not delay announcing its own decisions.

con't (see link at top of page)

Greg Williams suspended indefintely, general manager Mickey Loomis has been suspended for eight games
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sean Payton suspended for 1 year

Postby dream_017 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:13 pm

Per @mortreport:

#Saints also losing second round draft picks in 2012 and 2013
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby stomperrob » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:02 pm

stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Several candidates could take over as interim coach for the New Orleans Saints
03/21/12 2:47PM
Mike Triplett, The Times-Picayune

With New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton about to being a one-year suspension on April 1, the Saints will need to anoint a replacement soon. The leading candidate would have been assistant head coach and linebackers coach Joe Vitt, but he too will serve a six-game suspension during the 2012 season.

It's possible that Vitt will serve as the Saints' interim coach throughout the offseason, with an interim interim coach filling in for six weeks. Or it's possible the Saints will choose another candidate. They have several qualified choices:

- New defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo just spent the past three years as head coach of the St. Louis Rams, so he's obviously got the most experience. But he has only been with the Saints organization for two months. Plus the Saints might want him to focus on installing and running his new defensive scheme.

- Offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael Jr. will obviously take over the offensive game-planning and play-calling duties, as he did in 2011 when Payton was out with a leg injury. And it's very possible that the Saints will increase his leadership role even further. Carmichael was a head-coaching candidate for both the Indianapolis Colts and Oakland Raiders this past offseason, and this could be valuable on-the-job training for him. However, the Saints might also prefer that he focuses solely on running the offensive scheme, which is a big job in itself.

- Offensive line coach Aaron Kromer is a veteran NFL assistant and trusted friend of Payton. Kromer was a candidate for the St. Louis Rams head coaching job this offseason. And much like Vitt, he could handle the general head-coaching duties while Spagnuolo and Carmichael focus on the game plans.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... _take.html

...and for the latest in fan apparel:
http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/ ... ve_fl.html
stomperrob

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:05 pm

One could only wonder what the penalty would have been if they would have only cheated to win ball games? Oh, that's right, cash money penalty and no more. What I'm saying is that this is an overly harsh penalty. If Goodell had a clue he would stop grandstanding and punish the right people. How many players are getting suspended from the league? Does the Superbowl Title get rescinded?
As far as the coaches go, if they knew they were breaking a rule and (very important) understood the penalties, then they got off light. But they had no idea of the penalty, so why would they have taken it seriously. To make up punishment as you go is a pretty silly way to run things.
So as a result the product is now not as good, the fans in the Big Easy are cheated. (Unless I missed the part where Goodell punishes the owner by refunding season ticket holders, at least partially for the diminished product)

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:44 pm

Joe Vitt will be the New Orleans Saints interim coach
04/12/12 3:41PM
Kevin Spain, The Times-Picayune

The New Orleans Saints just announced that linebackers coach/assistant head coach Joe Vitt will be the interim head coach while Sean Payton is suspended for his role in the bounty scandal.

"It is important that we keep Sean Payton's philosophy front and center during this season. Sean has been the driving force behind the tremendous success our team has enjoyed during the past six years, his leadership will be missed," said Saints general manager Mickey Loomis. "But we need to set a course of action that gives us the best chance to win this season without our head coach, and that is why I am announcing today that Joe Vitt will assume Sean's duties. We considered a number of great options to handle Payton's duties both internally and externally, but believe this will provide the most seamless transition for our players and our coaching staff, allowing our offensive and defensive staffs to remain intact with the fewest changes. This is the same structure we used last season during Sean's knee injury."

con't...

more: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... orlea.html
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:45 pm

NFL reinstates Sean Payton as New Orleans Saints coach
By Doug Tatum, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on January 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM, updated January 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM

The NFL announced Tuesday morning that Sean Payton has been reinstated as coach of the New Orleans Saints. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and Payton met Monday, and Goodell was satisfied with the outcome.

"Coach Payton acknowledged in the meeting his responsibility for the actions of his coaching staff and players and pledged to uphold the highest standards of the NFL and ensure that his staff and players do so as well," said Goodell in a statement released by the NFL.

The reinstatement is effective immediately, meaning Payton is now free to rejoin the team.

"I am thankful today Commissioner Goodell has granted me reinstatement. As I stated back in March, I, along with Mickey Loomis, take full responsibility for all aspects of our football program," said Payton in a statement released by the team.

"I clearly recognize that mistakes were made, which led to league violation. Furthermore, I have assured the Commissioner a more diligent protocol will be followed."

con't...

more: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... cart_river
stomperrob

Re: Sean Payton suspended for 1 year UPDATE: reinstated

Postby moochman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:48 pm

Pretty sure I wouldn't have handled this with as much class and Payton has.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby murphysxm » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:33 pm

moochman wrote:Pretty sure I wouldn't have handled this with as much class and Payton has.

no joke, unless he's got iron clad evidence against him, which I highly doubt. I also thought the re-instatement timing was cowardly by Goodell. Wonder if it would have been shortened if the Super Bowl wasn't being hosted by NO this year.....
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:52 pm

murphysxm wrote:
moochman wrote:Pretty sure I wouldn't have handled this with as much class and Payton has.

no joke, unless he's got iron clad evidence against him, which I highly doubt. I also thought the re-instatement timing was cowardly by Goodell. Wonder if it would have been shortened if the Super Bowl wasn't being hosted by NO this year.....

Looking back it was pretty short-sighted of Goodell not to have the suspention end after the Saints season did. Why carry this into the big game? Heck he should have visited the big easy on the last home game to revoke the suspension. Let the fans get some of the booing out of their system.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Football Talk