Mike Wallace - UPDATE: signs with Dolphins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mike Wallace - UPDATE: signs with Dolphins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Mike Wallace refuses to sign

Postby yualreadyknow » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:15 pm

This is a funny sytch.

I hear he intends to report then I hear he will not. Arguably, hr has out played his contract but wanting Larry Fitz money is a no-go. The best thing he can do is report and show them and potential suitors why he should be paid. IMO this is the only good move.
< Don't ask. Yu Already Know >
yualreadyknow
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby petedog9 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:47 pm

He really has no choice.. The Steelers hold all of the cards here... . He will not be a UFA next year if the Steelers decide to franchise him. He needs to rock up, sign his contact and get to work..
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby yualreadyknow » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:57 pm

I agree. He's no MJD. Just sayin'.
yualreadyknow
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Scipio » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:18 pm

At this stage, with all that has transpired,the ONLY way he is getting a nice bumper deal is to quit pouting, get his butt into camp and have an perform to his very highest ability this season.

Steelers are highly unlikely to be able to give him the deal he wants (even if they wanted to), and sitting out isn't going to enhance his standing with potential 2013 suitors.
Scipio
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:21 pm

The Steelers are a very staid, penurious organzation (although that has changed a bit with the 3rd generation of Rooneys in charge now). One thing they have never liked is someone holding a gun to their head, they have been known to make examples of players that do.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby yualreadyknow » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:25 pm

I think they did with that Antonio Brown signing. If that is not an example, I don't know what is. Lol
yualreadyknow
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby saemick » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:07 pm

with the news that Wallace should be reporting before week 1:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports holdout Mike Wallace is "expected to report back to Steelers before the regular season begins."
However, Schefter does allow Wallace could "(always) change his mind." Schefter's report echoes those of CBS' Pat Kirwan and ESPN's Bob Holtzman. Reporting before Week 1 would make Wallace's holdout more baffling, as it would mean the only thing he accomplished was avoiding preseason injury. If he could take the salary hit, digging in until Week 10 would have made more sense. As it stands now, Wallace will be way behind in new OC Todd Haley's offense, and perhaps behind Antonio Brown on the depth chart. The Steelers have been adamant Wallace won't be traded.

does this change anyone's outlook in his ranking? I've been able to target him in about the 5th round or later and see him as a nice value there....assuming he plays of course.

thoughts?
saemick
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby yualreadyknow » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Normally he is a guy i wouldnt draft. Most don't agree with my assessment of him but nothing much would change with the knowledge of his reporting to camp. Got a draft in idp coming up and he is still untouchable for me.
yualreadyknow
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Speedy WR Wallace set to return to Steelers
By Alan Robinson
Published: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 1:36 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Mike Wallace watch by the Steelers is down now to days, if not hours. James Harrison is still watching the calendar, hoping there are enough weeks left for him to be ready for the season opener.

The Steelers were back on the South Side on Tuesday, another summer in Latrobe over, but Wallace — the holdout wide receiver — wasn’t with them yet. But multiple players who are talking with Wallace said that’s about to change.

The start of the season is also the deadline for the Steelers to work out a long-term contract with Wallace, who skipped training camp out of frustration in not getting a new deal. With time running out, Wallace is expected to sign his $2.742 million tender and get in a few practices before the Aug. 30 preseason game against Carolina.

Then, he would have a full week of work before the Steelers travel to Denver on Sept. 9 to start the new season in the same place they ended last season.

“We don’t know the exact date, but we’re looking forward to getting him back in and looking forward to him making those big-time plays he’s capable of making,” wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders said. “We’re all looking forward to it and the guys he’s close to on the team have been talking to him, and he’s coming back soon.”

Ike Taylor, one of Wallace’s closest friends on the team, said he’s already planning a welcome-back dinner at a South Side restaurant — and, he joked, he plans to tweet a picture of the tab.

con't...

more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/244 ... -wide-mike
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:28 pm

He's baaaaaaack!

Wallace returns to Steelers: 'I'm ready to roll'
August 28, 2012 3:00 pm
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pro Bowl receiver Mike Wallace returned to the Steelers today and said he is glad to be back with his teammates and ready to begin the regular season.

Wallace reported to the Steelers offices on the South Side shortly before 11:30 a.m. and signed the one-year, $2.7 million tender he was offered in March. The Steelers never lowered or rescinded the tender, something they could have done since June under the league's labor agreement.

"My teammates need me," Wallace said when asked why he decided to report after missing nearly all of training camp. "It's time to get ready for the season. I felt like it was time to go. I'm ready to roll. I'm here. That's really all that matters to me."

Wallace has to go through a three-day acclimation period before he is allowed to practice or play -- meaning he won't be in uniform Thursday night for the final preseason game against the Carolina Panthers.

It also means he won't be able to practice with the team until Monday when they start preparing for the Sept. 9 season opener in Denver. Right now, the Steelers are not scheduled to practice Friday, Saturday or Sunday after the Carolina game.

But he thinks he will be able to play when the Steelers open the season Dec. 9 in Denver. Wallace has spent the past two weeks working out at ESPN's Wide World of Sports training complex in Orlando, Fla.

con't...

more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... mp-650844/

;-D ;-D
stomperrob

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk