Los Angeles closer to return to NFL??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Los Angeles closer to return to NFL???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Los Angeles closer to return to NFL???

Postby stomperrob » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:50 pm

Once again a stadium deal in Minnesota is nixed, fueling the rumor mills:

Uncertainty is only thing certain about Vikings moving to L.A.
As some signs point to the Minnesota Vikings entertaining a move to L.A., others point to the team staying put. A pow-wow Friday doesn't exactly clear things up.
By Sam Farmer
April 20, 2012, 9:38 p.m.

It's happening again, conjecture that an NFL team is headed to Los Angeles. This time, it's the Minnesota Vikings, although NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell insisted Friday that neither the team nor the league has raised that possibility.

"There were no implied threats or any threats at all," Goodell told reporters outside the office of Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton. "What we talked about is the importance of creating a solution here."

That isn't likely to calm the frayed nerves of Vikings fans, whose team has spent the past decade searching for a stadium solution. The latest plans hit the skids Monday, when the club's bid for a $975-million stadium — more than half of which would be publicly funded — died in a state House committee. Late Friday, Vikings spokesman Jeff Anderson said on Twitter that the stadium bill passed in the Senate Local Government Committee by an 8-6 vote. The revived bill now moves to the Jobs and Economic Growth Committee.

Dayton told reporters the topic of L.A. was raised once during the meeting.

"One of us — a legislator — brought the subject up," the governor said. The NFL "said they would like to have a team in Los Angeles [and] they would like to have it not be the Vikings."

and:

Minnesota is one of several potential relocation candidates in a group that includes the St. Louis Rams, the San Diego Chargers and the Oakland Raiders. The Jaguars are likely to remain in Jacksonville, at least in the short term, as new owner Shad Khan has indicated his commitment to stay in the area.

con't...

more: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-far ... 893.column
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Los Angeles Vikings???

Postby tuck rule » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:18 pm

I don't think anyone in Minnesota (Fans, Owner, legislators, NFL) wants the Vikings to move to L.A., which means it will most likely get worked out.

Even though the owner says it wont happen, I still think Jacksonville will end up being the team that moves to L.A.
tuck rule
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:37 am

Won't happen. If the Vikes moved, they'd be hit by the league with a relocation fee of about 200 million. However, if they don't move, the league can put an expansion team in L.A., which would probably sell in the billion dollar range. That's a loss in profit of about 800 million to the NFL if the Vikings move. Think they're gonna let that happen?
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby tuck rule » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:11 am

I wouldn't bank on expansion. Goodell has said several times recently that he and the owners have no desire to expand in the foreseeable future.

INDIANAPOLIS — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the league has no plans to expand to 34 teams in the foreseeable future.

Speaking at his annual state of the NFL press conference, Goodell clarified comments to NBC's Bob Costas on Thursday that indicated the league would expand to 34 teams in order to place one in Los Angeles. Goodell said Friday that should the league expand, it would have to be by two teams, not just one, but that expansion is not on the agenda of any conversations.

"We have not talked about expansion with the league members at all," Goodell said.

There are two potential stadium projects being considered in Los Angeles, but Goodell said, "there are a lot of issues that have to be balanced" before an NFL franchise can be placed in the city.
tuck rule
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby srlarson » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:02 pm

Vikings may move.........but yes there would be limited fees to the NFL if this happans and the Wilfs Walk away with lots of coin in their pocket.....

Here's a thought.......

With all the turmoil in New Orleans.......the NFL strips the Bensons of the team, for gross mis-managment......sells to an ownership group in LA and moves the Saints to LA.........

Thoughts?
srlarson
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Stevooo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:19 pm

The Vikes have a 50-50 shot of the stadium bill passings both chambers this week (we will know by friday...hopefully) and yes 50-50 isn't the greatest odds but its way better than what we have been dealing with the last month. I know I'm very optemistic because I am a Vikings fan but I really do believe this time around it will pass.

As for the Saints, the spygate has not been proven yet so who knows if that was really even true. The bounty program is not enough for the NFL to strip the Benson family of the team. Hell, both combined shouldn't be enough to do that IMO.
I drink because of the 1998 NFC championship game.

12 team big $$$ non PPR league - QB RB RB WR WR TE D K

QB: Rivers
RB: Murray, Matthews, R.Bush, D. Brown
WR: Julio Jones, Colston, VJax, Garcon
TE: Witten, Gresham
K: Kaeding
DST: SEA
Stevooo
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Calyxes » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:53 pm

I say move MIn to LA!They suck anyway.

If they did move would they still in the NFC North?
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:57 pm

tuck rule wrote:I wouldn't bank on expansion. Goodell has said several times recently that he and the owners have no desire to expand in the foreseeable future.

INDIANAPOLIS — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the league has no plans to expand to 34 teams in the foreseeable future.

Speaking at his annual state of the NFL press conference, Goodell clarified comments to NBC's Bob Costas on Thursday that indicated the league would expand to 34 teams in order to place one in Los Angeles. Goodell said Friday that should the league expand, it would have to be by two teams, not just one, but that expansion is not on the agenda of any conversations.

"We have not talked about expansion with the league members at all," Goodell said.

There are two potential stadium projects being considered in Los Angeles, but Goodell said, "there are a lot of issues that have to be balanced" before an NFL franchise can be placed in the city.

Agreed - and with eight 4-team divisions, the league isn't likely to expand by just one team. More realistic that some team will relocate there.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:33 pm

interesting conundrum. We have Minnapolis/St Paul finding it hard to contemplate the money required to support an NFL team and then there is Los Angeles who don't seem to have enough passion for the game to support an NFL team. Having grown up with the Vikings in Minnesota, and hating them all the while, I have a hard time envisioning them in LaLa land. I wonder if the TV contracts should also include X amounts of revenue, maybe some of the cash they aren't going to pay players anymore, and set it into a fund earmarked for stadiums care. I would love to see the league do something to help preserve some of the history of the league. Reducing the burden of stadium upkeep could go a long way toward keeping historic franchises intact.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Sat May 26, 2012 1:09 pm

Appears Viking fans can stop worrying:

Stadium gets final sign-off
Posted by: Eric Roper Updated: May 25, 2012 - 1:01 PM

The Minneapolis City Council gave final approval Friday morning to funding a new Vikings stadium in downtown Minneapolis, ending an arduous legislative process that has taken decades to resolve.

Friday's approval, on a vote of 7-6, followed a preliminary vote Thursday afternoon. No votes changed. Mayor R.T. Rybak celebrated with a swig of Grain Belt beer out of a horn in his office.

“I feel obviously incredibly happy to have this over," Rybak said. "This has been a bruising fight. I feel in my gut a little bit like I imagine the Vikings feel after a win. You’re happy you won, but you’ve got to go sit in the hot tub and take care of the bruises for a little bit.”

Up next, the city must create an implementation committee and the mayor must appoint two members to a new stadium authority.

The total city subsidy will be about $309 million for construction and operations, or $678 million when accounting for interest over the life of the deal.

con't...

more: http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 15495.html
stomperrob

Next

Return to Football Talk