Poll ended at Thu May 03, 2012 12:39 am

May 1
89%
June 20
11%

Total votes : 9

Re: 2012 Draft Start Poll

Postby LS2throwed » Tue May 01, 2012 5:20 pm

The Lung wrote:I've had this argument so many times in so many different leagues that I'm loathe to discuss it again. Additionally, the fact that we're both perfectly content with starting the draft early means the argument is entirely moot anyway.

Bottom line is that it comes down to your philosophy regarding the draft. Your philsophy is that the draft should reward the active owner who has followed college football, the Senior Bowl, the Combine, Pro Days, and the NFL Draft. I have done all those things and can certainly get behind that sentiment.

In my opinion though, the NFL landscape changes on a daily basis and drafting players now when a thousand different things will change before the start of the season is strange, especially when the opportunity to draft later easily exists. Use last year as an example: to me, drafting a player like Mikel LeShoure or Ryan Williams now when they will suffer season ending injuries later seems silly. To me, drafting a player now like Chris Polk who may not even make the Eagles roster seems silly. Or worse yet, Polk gets cut and ends up on a team like the Packers where he could challenge for the starting role.

Why not draft in late August when all these things are known commodities and everyone can make an informed decision? Yes, injuries strike randomly, and during the regular season too, but you can't do the draft then. Bottom line is that your philosophy is to reward the active owner and leave injuries and roster spots up to complete luck and rolling the dice. My philosophy is to draft as late as possible, like 2 weeks before the season starts, so that every manager can make the most informed decisions possible. Anything earlier than that, especially in June and not even July training camps, is by my definition ridiculously early, and we'll just have to agree to disagree. ;-D

I see your point.

This year I didn't have as much time with working 50 hour weeks, traveling, purchasing a home, it kicked my ass in the off-season so in terms of diving in head first for the Senior Bowl and Pro days, etc, I was behind the curve compared to a few years ago when I was just taking a few college classes in the morning, staying in an on campus apartment and plenty of free time. But I still feel the same about it this year even with that for some reason.

I guess my point is that while if we waited after TC, granted values have set and everything, but in the age that we live in of twitter and everything being breaking news, I feel like it's too easy to a fault. There are no values anymore. Now when we draft at this time a 3rd or 4th round pick may be a stud due to either that guy doing research or getting lucky, but it makes it more exciting. It's exciting if you have a late round sleeper that you like that situation you can target them late, but by the time an injury forces him into immediate production or everyone talking about how good they are everyday in practice even the average joe who hops into fantasy football for the first year can figure that move out.

While our time management and things may be different or change in this league I consider us all experts. So it's not much that is going to slip past any of us here, there really is no such thing as a sleeper off the radar, we just get the opportunity to get some good value on mid rounders when late August your 1st round is scripted and less room to draft a bust, simple. NFL teams are drafting blindly so always felt it was cool for dynasty leagues to draft blindly. Ending up with bust early in the 1st just like a lot of NFL teams.

As you said it's a moot point and all just discussion ;-D
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2012 Draft Start Poll

Postby Kareighuis » Tue May 01, 2012 5:33 pm

The Lung wrote:I just want to reiterate that this is all playing devil's advocate...the vote has passed 8-1 and according to my calendar it's May 1st...what's the holdup, Kareighus? Just take Trent Richardson already... :-B

:-) wow, youre right! Pick coming.
If I havent talked to you about trading 1.2, and you're interested, let me know.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Horse Traders