Coby Fleener - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Coby Fleener

Moderator: Football Moderators

Coby Fleener

Postby Free John Beck » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Am I crazy, or is this guy a top 10 fantasy TE in 2012? Playing with his QB (Luck) on a bad team that will be behind a lot and have to throw, throw, throw. I could see him as a low end #1 TE, in the same neighborhood as Gresham and Pettigrew. What do you guys think?
Free John Beck
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Coby Fleener

Postby TheDiplomats » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:25 pm

I'd like him a lot more if the Colts hadn't drafted Dwayne Allen. I forsee the Colts using a lot of 2 TE sets but when they only use a 1 TE set, Allen will stay on the field over Fleener because he is a much better in-line blocker. Fleener will need to learn to block if he wants to be the next Gronkowski or Graham.

Back to your question, low end TE1 status sounds about right to me. I'm just not sure if he'll ever go far beyond that.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:14 pm

I like the Fleener pick a lot. Luck gets a familiar target to help his transition into the NFL and a new Colts offense. And like Manning and Clark, they're both fairly tall guys which I believe helps quite a bit throwing over the middle. And if opposing defenses focus on an albeit aged Wayne, Fleener gets more room to thrive.

That said, no one on this offense is going to put up a lot of numbers if the Colts are going three and out. If Luck is ending up on his back regularly it won't matter a dime who is open or not. Because of that, I don't see Fleener being a top-10 for the 2012 season. Hopefully I'm wrong as I am a Colts fan and used to playoffs every year ;-)

Would I draft him? Sure. I like having home team guys on my roster and he - and the Colts in general - could pleasantly surprise. But with a new GM, new coach, and so many personnel changes I think the Colts need time to grow into their new identity.

If I were to find myself in a league that starts two TE's every week ( ;-) ) I would not mind at all to have an established TE as #1 and Fleener starting each week in the #2 slot. But I don't think I'd want to draft him as my first TE and consider the position covered for 16 weeks.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Calyxes » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:55 pm

I like him on the Colts. Even if Luck does not pan out in the NFL, Fleener should be solid because almost all NFL QB's are able to throw the dump pass to the TE. Thier timing is/should be there at the start so I like him as low TE1 with upside.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby murphysxm » Wed May 02, 2012 1:32 pm

I personally think it was a horrible pick. He was graded as a pretty average all year until he had a great pro day when people where looking at Luck. The Colts O line isn't good enough to have a TE that can't block at all on the field for the majority of snaps. I see him as Jared Cook last year BEST case scenario, that's not somebody I want on my roster unless I have to carry 2 TE's. There is a ton of WR and TE depth this year, I think you'll get more value elsewhere.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby Dolfan19 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:50 pm

I think the hype he's getting this year is similar to the hype Lance Kendricks was getting last year. and we all know how that ended up - 28 catches for 352 yds 0 tds and 1 fumble lost. I would take him as a late round flier, but his ADP seems to be much higher than that.
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 53)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:40 pm

The Indy Star's unofficial depth chart lists both Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen in the starting lineup.
It's further confirmation that the Colts plan on running two-tight end sets as their base offense. It's also the same formation that Andrew Luck and Fleener ran together at Stanford. Superior blocker Allen may play more snaps, but Fleener is the TE2 target thanks to his superior athleticism and pass-catching skills. Related: Dwayne Allen
Source: Indianapolis Star Aug 2 - 10:47 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl ... layer-news
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby murphysxm » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:48 pm

With the season ending injury to Ben Ijalana, Allen mine as well consider himself an offense lineman. Going to be a rough year for Andrew Luck's health. Unfortunately the Colts line is dangerously thin.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Return to Football Talk