Saints players: UPDATE - Tagliabue decision - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Saints players: UPDATE - Tagliabue decision

Moderator: Football Moderators

Saints players: UPDATE - Tagliabue decision

Postby stomperrob » Wed May 02, 2012 12:17 pm

New Orleans Saints player suspensions: NFL press release
05/02/12 10:51AM
Subscribe to Post Flag Post
James Varney, The Times-Picayune

The Times-PicayuneNew Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma was suspended a year by the NFL.

Four players - Scott Fujita, Anthony Hargrove, Will Smith, and Jonathan Vilma - were notified today that they have been suspended without pay for conduct detrimental to the NFL as a result of their leadership roles in the New Orleans Saints' pay-for-performance/bounty program that endangered player safety over three seasons from 2009-2011. Participation by players in any such program is prohibited by the NFL Constitution and Bylaws, the standard NFL Player Contract, and the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The specific discipline was determined by Commissioner Roger Goodell after a thorough review of extensive evidence corroborated by multiple independent sources. Under Article 46 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and the standard NFL Player Contract, a player is subject to discipline by the commissioner for conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the NFL. The discipline imposed today for such detrimental conduct is as follows:

n Scott Fujita (now with the Cleveland Browns) is suspended without pay for the first three games of the 2012 regular season. The record established that Fujita, a linebacker, pledged a significant amount of money to the prohibited pay-for-performance/bounty pool during the 2009 NFL Playoffs when he played for the Saints. The pool to which he pledged paid large cash rewards for "cart-offs" and "knockouts," plays during which an opposing player was injured.

con't...

more: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... _susp.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Saints players suspended

Postby murphysxm » Wed May 02, 2012 1:28 pm

I may be in the minority, but I think this has been incredibly blown out of proportion. My guess is most locker rooms have similar arrangements and Goodell is making a public stand so when the NFL gets sued down the road by players that got hurt playing, he can say how pro player safety he was.

If I were a Saint fan I would be very angry
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 238)

Postby moochman » Wed May 02, 2012 6:44 pm

murphysxm wrote:I may be in the minority, but I think this has been incredibly blown out of proportion. My guess is most locker rooms have similar arrangements and Goodell is making a public stand so when the NFL gets sued down the road by players that got hurt playing, he can say how pro player safety he was.

If I were a Saint fan I would be very angry

I'll take it further. I ont only think its blown out of proportion, but I think the commish is being disingenuous with this action. A person would have to be Pollyannish on the grandest scale to think that varyations of this don't go on in every lockerroom in most, if not all, organized football leagues. To suspend so severely something that goes on so commonly borders on either an inexcusable ignorance to a league he is the commish of, or an insulting amount of false righteuos indegnation in order to placate corporate sponsors and network pc-ers to attempt to homogenize a brutal game. Goodall is all about promoting a safe family friendly image and nothing else. He has little understanding of the nature of the game, or he is arrogant enough to think the game is infallible.
In any event, to suspend players becuase they were caught is rediculous. But I am all for Goodells squeaky clean imagery for the league. Suspend Vilma for a year (totally absurd, BTW), heck why stop there? I say ban them all. If fact, that is not enough. We need to revise the history of this sort of thuggery. I think removal from the hall should be in order for those who glorified this sort of behavior. You can start with the person who said "When I played football, I never set out to hurt anybody deliberately, unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something."

Trying to blow up the guy with the ball is the very essence of football. Legislate that out of the league and you may as well play soccer.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:34 am

moochman wrote:Trying to blow up the guy with the ball is the very essence of football. Legislate that out of the league and you may as well play soccer.

Sad things is, I've heard many people say that that may be the only 'football' left in the future
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby mikus » Thu May 03, 2012 2:40 pm

As a Saints' fan, I think I can speak for most of us when I say that we are, indeed, pretty angry. Especially with this whole evidence scandal. NFL says they have evidence, NFLPA says they don't, blah blah blah.

Either you have the evidence or you don't. Why not give everything you have to the NFLPA? Shouldn't the NFL have done that to justify the suspensions anyway? How can the commish suspend these players without showing evidence? Seems like a very, very slippery slope to me.

Alas, the suspensions aren't too bad. I actually thought it would be worse (Roman Harper, Jabari Greer). Will Smith missed the first two games last year, didn't miss him that much. Vilma is coming off a knee injury and is trending downward. Curtis Lofton at MLB actually is an upgrade. So at least the front office prepared for his season-long ban.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby scottaa1 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:49 pm

mikus wrote:Either you have the evidence or you don't. Why not give everything you have to the NFLPA? Shouldn't the NFL have done that to justify the suspensions anyway? How can the commish suspend these players without showing evidence? Seems like a very, very slippery slope to me..

I agree. I think they're obligated to show the evidence, but then again, it's not a court of law. I particularly don't like the precedent it sets.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby mikus » Thu May 03, 2012 3:48 pm

At the same time, I don't have any sympathy for the players complaining about Roger Goodell being the judge, jury and executioner when it comes to player discipline. I don't think it's fair that the commish hands down the punishment AND hears the appeal. But if the players cared that much about it, they shouldn't have agreed to it by signing the new CBA.
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby moochman » Thu May 03, 2012 4:50 pm

mikus wrote: But if the players cared that much about it, they shouldn't have agreed to it by signing the new CBA.

That is the inequities of short life span thinking players union vs long term scheming NFL negoitating team. Poor players never had a chance.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu May 03, 2012 4:58 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
mikus wrote:Either you have the evidence or you don't. Why not give everything you have to the NFLPA? Shouldn't the NFL have done that to justify the suspensions anyway? How can the commish suspend these players without showing evidence? Seems like a very, very slippery slope to me..

I agree. I think they're obligated to show the evidence, but then again, it's not a court of law. I particularly don't like the precedent it sets.

Pretty sure a much more ominous precendent has already been sent regarding evidence. The mighty Goodell can just destroy evidence at his whim. You know, for the good of the league.

Regarding the Vilma suspension, given the shelf life of an NFL player vs coaches, GMs, and owners why wasn't there punishment much more severe. I don't know that a lifetime ban for Peyton and Gregg Williams. I think this kind of extreme and unbalanced punishment demonstrates the need for an outside, unbiased party to investigate and mete out punishments. We need a new sheriff, Goodell is corrupt.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mikus » Fri May 04, 2012 8:31 am

NFLPA files grievance to fight appeals process, among other things:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... unishment/

The Article 43 grievance then argues that Ted Cottrell and Art Shell have authority over the appeal process, and not Goodell. Cottrell and Shell have been jointly appointed by the NFL and the NFLPA to handle the appeals of fines or suspensions for “conduct on the playing field with respect to an opposing player or players.” The NFLPA believes that the bounty allegations fall within the scope of that clause.
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk