what do people like about IDP formats? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

what do people like about IDP formats?

what do people like about IDP formats?

Postby murphysxm » Mon May 14, 2012 7:29 pm

I am purely curious. I have never done an IDP league. Mostly because I am at my cap (at least according to the wife) of leagues and am unsure enough about it to stay away. I truly don't know enough about it and who to value to feel prepared to participate. Is it something I need to take a look at or am I good sticking with traditional team defense formats?
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: what do people like about IDP formats?

Postby Perfectibilist » Mon May 14, 2012 8:32 pm

There's definitely a learning curve involved, at least for me there was/is. I've only played in couple, and only for a season so far. It was really difficult for me to gauge value of defensive players vs. offensive players. I basically just jumped in head-first with a free league with 15 friends and made a go at it. I got burned on some draft choices, I made some bad trades, but that was a way for me to really learn (as opposed to just hearing) the differences. It's an extra challenge for sure, and I would definitely recommend one. If nothing else, play in a throw-away single-season one on ESPN or Yahoo! to get your feet wet.
Thanks to Freyaka for the sig!
Perfectibilist
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Stevooo » Tue May 15, 2012 8:58 am

I love it. I think it adds a little bit more to the fantasy game. Yes the DB position is flawed but if it really pains you that much , set your league up for DL and LB only. And its not like the best players on offense are always the best to own either. Its all about knowing who gets points. I have a few leagues with full defensive lineups. Most of people that have issues with IDP leagues is because the scoring in alot of leagues is not weighted correctly (as I stated with DBs).
I drink because of the 1998 NFC championship game.

12 team big $$$ non PPR league - QB RB RB WR WR TE D K

QB: Rivers
RB: Murray, Matthews, R.Bush, D. Brown
WR: Julio Jones, Colston, VJax, Garcon
TE: Witten, Gresham
K: Kaeding
DST: SEA
Stevooo
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby murphysxm » Tue May 22, 2012 7:15 pm

I think I have some kind of "it's something new" fear in trying it. That and I don't like stinking at something....
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby stomperrob » Wed May 23, 2012 2:16 pm

murphysxm wrote:I think I have some kind of "it's something new" fear in trying it. That and I don't like stinking at something....

It is a little daunting at first and the learning curve can be steep - to get started one has to find a couple good sources of rankings, rookie reports and drafting tips.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby dream_017 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:03 am

Big fan - I like the added layer. There is also a lot more change in defensive players year to year over offensive players. Like other said it takes some getting used to, but most of my leagues now contain IDP and I wouldn't have it any other way ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu May 24, 2012 2:50 pm

murphysxm wrote:I am purely curious. I have never done an IDP league. Mostly because I am at my cap (at least according to the wife) of leagues and am unsure enough about it to stay away. I truly don't know enough about it and who to value to feel prepared to participate. Is it something I need to take a look at or am I good sticking with traditional team defense formats?

dream_017 wrote:Big fan - I like the added layer. There is also a lot more change in defensive players year to year over offensive players. Like other said it takes some getting used to, but most of my leagues now contain IDP and I wouldn't have it any other way ;-D

Like most of the time, I agree with dream. ;-D

I highly recommend trying out a league with IDP's. This is the best comparison between IDP & offensive players (IMO), and someone told me this when I 1st started with IDP's in 2006. When it comes to drafting, LB's are like RB's, DB's are like WR's, and DL's are like TE's (although I think DL's have been gaining on the DB's). It depends on the scoring (most leagues focus on tackles), but in most leagues, LB's will score the most points because they get the most tackles. DB's usually get less tackles, but they get more points for INT's. And DL's usually get even less tackles, but they get more points for sacks. Last year, I did my 2nd IDP only league. The 1st round was almost all LB's (like RB's in normal drafts). As always, league scoring could change this "norm". If you're in a league that gives a lot of points for sacks, DL's would obviously be more valuable. fftoday has a great tool where you can input your league scoring and then they tell you fantasy points per game for all players in that scoring system (going back to 2000).

http://www.fftoday.com/stats/playerstat ... eID=107450

If you're in a league that only starts 1 or 2 IDP's, you really won't even have to worry about them much because there are so many decent IDP's out there (not to mention the change year to year as dream mentioned). In redraft, when drafting O & IDP together, I wouldn't even think about taking an IDP until other people starting taking them. With so many decent IDP's available, it makes more sense to keep drafting starters on the offense (or depth). Another reason for not worrying about IDP's when only starting 1-2 is that there will always be decent options on the WW.

None of my leagues start only 1-2 IDP's. That's too easy/boring! Think about all the possibilities? dream & I co-commish 2 Cafe leagues. In the defunct dynasty league, we start:

9 IDP starters in one of the following formations:
4-3 (4 DL, 3 LB, 2 DB)
3-4 (3 DL, 4 LB, 2 DB)
5-2 (5 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB)
Nickel (3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB)
Dime (3 DL, 2 LB, 4 DB)
Prevent (3 DL, 1 LB, 5 DB)

In the flex-factor dynasty league, we start:

DL
DL/LB
LB
LB/DB
DB

And we're changing it to this for 2013:

DL
DT
DL/LB
DL/LB/DB
DL/LB/DB
LB/DB
CB
DB

The possibilities are endless. As I mentioned above, the past 2 seasons, I've played in my 1st ever IDP only league (redraft). All you really need to do to get into it is find a few sites with some good IDP rankings. Here's my 2 faves:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/app ... owrecent=7

http://ffoasis.com/content/fantasyrankings-redraftlb/

I hope this helps a little, and good luck!

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu May 24, 2012 6:18 pm

One more thing that I should've mentioned. Some leagues make you start a CB or a DT, but most leagues and fantasy sites lump all S's & CB's into DB's, and all DE's & DT's into DL's. I'm sure they exist, but I never saw a league force you to start MLB and/or OLB, but MLB's usually score more points than OLB's (more tackle opportunities), S's usually score more than CB's (again, more tackle opportunities), & DE's usually score more than DT's (more sacks). ;-D

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:03 pm

and don't play in an IDP only league with Kilroy. :-D ;-)

You can play in one with FNJ but he will probably smoke ya! :-b

IDP is the next level to FF. Once you have played in redraft, keeper, dynasty etc... branch out and play in a league with IDP.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:57 pm

bungle613 wrote:and don't play in an IDP only league with Kilroy. :-D ;-)

You can play in one with FNJ but he will probably smoke ya! :-b

IDP is the next level to FF. Once you have played in redraft, keeper, dynasty etc... branch out and play in a league with IDP.

:-b ;-D

And don't play in a dynasty league with bungle. He'll pick up FA's, draft & trade his way to the top...and he'll stay there. :-b ;-D

flotsamnjetsam

Next

Return to IDP