1st Time IDP Player - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

1st Time IDP Player

Moderator: Football Moderators

1st Time IDP Player

Postby Mr.Joshua » Sat May 19, 2012 12:37 pm

Been awhile since I posted in here, but we are adding an IDP position to my main 12 team, redraft league. Never did an IDP before. Any tips on scoring, rankings, adp would be great ;-D
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 1st Time IDP Player

Postby Indibuck » Sat May 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Mr.Joshua wrote:Been awhile since I posted in here, but we are adding an IDP position to my main 12 team, redraft league. Never did an IDP before. Any tips on scoring, rankings, adp would be great ;-D

Personally not a fan of IDP, although I know some who swear by it and wouldn't play fantasy any other way. I just find it too much trouble to rank a lot of extra players... and in most leagues, IDP scoring is a smaller chunk of overall team scoring than your typical offensive positions.

If you haven't already, I would post this in the Draft/Keepers/Trades forum... probably your best bet to get the best analysis. Good luck with the IDP this year!
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu May 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Mr.Joshua wrote:Been awhile since I posted in here, but we are adding an IDP position to my main 12 team, redraft league. Never did an IDP before. Any tips on scoring, rankings, adp would be great ;-D

I just responded to a similar question in the IDP forum, so:

murphysxm wrote:I am purely curious. I have never done an IDP league. Mostly because I am at my cap (at least according to the wife) of leagues and am unsure enough about it to stay away. I truly don't know enough about it and who to value to feel prepared to participate. Is it something I need to take a look at or am I good sticking with traditional team defense formats?

dream_017 wrote:Big fan - I like the added layer. There is also a lot more change in defensive players year to year over offensive players. Like other said it takes some getting used to, but most of my leagues now contain IDP and I wouldn't have it any other way ;-D

Like most of the time, I agree with dream. ;-D

I highly recommend trying out a league with IDP's. This is the best comparison between IDP & offensive players (IMO), and someone told me this when I 1st started with IDP's in 2006. When it comes to drafting, LB's are like RB's, DB's are like WR's, and DL's are like TE's (although I think DL's have been gaining on the DB's). It depends on the scoring (most leagues focus on tackles), but in most leagues, LB's will score the most points because they get the most tackles. DB's usually get less tackles, but they get more points for INT's. And DL's usually get even less tackles, but they get more points for sacks. Last year, I did my 2nd IDP only league. The 1st round was almost all LB's (like RB's in normal drafts). As always, league scoring could change this "norm". If you're in a league that gives a lot of points for sacks, DL's would obviously be more valuable. fftoday has a great tool where you can input your league scoring and then they tell you fantasy points per game for all players in that scoring system (going back to 2000).

http://www.fftoday.com/stats/playerstat ... eID=107450

If you're in a league that only starts 1 or 2 IDP's, you really won't even have to worry about them much because there are so many decent IDP's out there (not to mention the change year to year as dream mentioned). In redraft, when drafting O & IDP together, I wouldn't even think about taking an IDP until other people starting taking them. With so many decent IDP's available, it makes more sense to keep drafting starters on the offense (or depth). Another reason for not worrying about IDP's when only starting 1-2 is that there will always be decent options on the WW.

None of my leagues start only 1-2 IDP's. That's too easy/boring! Think about all the possibilities? dream & I co-commish 2 Cafe leagues. In the defunct dynasty league, we start:

9 IDP starters in one of the following formations:
4-3 (4 DL, 3 LB, 2 DB)
3-4 (3 DL, 4 LB, 2 DB)
5-2 (5 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB)
Nickel (3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB)
Dime (3 DL, 2 LB, 4 DB)
Prevent (3 DL, 1 LB, 5 DB)

In the flex-factor dynasty league, we start:

DL
DL/LB
LB
LB/DB
DB

And we're changing it to this for 2013:

DL
DT
DL/LB
DL/LB/DB
DL/LB/DB
LB/DB
CB
DB

The possibilities are endless. As I mentioned above, the past 2 seasons, I've played in my 1st ever IDP only league (redraft). All you really need to do to get into it is find a few sites with some good IDP rankings. Here's my 2 faves:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/app ... owrecent=7

http://ffoasis.com/content/fantasyrankings-redraftlb/

I hope this helps a little, and good luck!

;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Mr.Joshua » Thu May 24, 2012 4:41 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:

I just responded to a similar question in the IDP forum, so:

murphysxm wrote:I am purely curious. I have never done an IDP league. Mostly because I am at my cap (at least according to the wife) of leagues and am unsure enough about it to stay away. I truly don't know enough about it and who to value to feel prepared to participate. Is it something I need to take a look at or am I good sticking with traditional team defense formats?

dream_017 wrote:Big fan - I like the added layer. There is also a lot more change in defensive players year to year over offensive players. Like other said it takes some getting used to, but most of my leagues now contain IDP and I wouldn't have it any other way ;-D

Like most of the time, I agree with dream. ;-D

I highly recommend trying out a league with IDP's. This is the best comparison between IDP & offensive players (IMO), and someone told me this when I 1st started with IDP's in 2006. When it comes to drafting, LB's are like RB's, DB's are like WR's, and DL's are like TE's (although I think DL's have been gaining on the DB's). It depends on the scoring (most leagues focus on tackles), but in most leagues, LB's will score the most points because they get the most tackles. DB's usually get less tackles, but they get more points for INT's. And DL's usually get even less tackles, but they get more points for sacks. Last year, I did my 2nd IDP only league. The 1st round was almost all LB's (like RB's in normal drafts). As always, league scoring could change this "norm". If you're in a league that gives a lot of points for sacks, DL's would obviously be more valuable. fftoday has a great tool where you can input your league scoring and then they tell you fantasy points per game for all players in that scoring system (going back to 2000).

http://www.fftoday.com/stats/playerstat ... eID=107450

If you're in a league that only starts 1 or 2 IDP's, you really won't even have to worry about them much because there are so many decent IDP's out there (not to mention the change year to year as dream mentioned). In redraft, when drafting O & IDP together, I wouldn't even think about taking an IDP until other people starting taking them. With so many decent IDP's available, it makes more sense to keep drafting starters on the offense (or depth). Another reason for not worrying about IDP's when only starting 1-2 is that there will always be decent options on the WW.

None of my leagues start only 1-2 IDP's. That's too easy/boring! Think about all the possibilities? dream & I co-commish 2 Cafe leagues. In the defunct dynasty league, we start:

9 IDP starters in one of the following formations:
4-3 (4 DL, 3 LB, 2 DB)
3-4 (3 DL, 4 LB, 2 DB)
5-2 (5 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB)
Nickel (3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB)
Dime (3 DL, 2 LB, 4 DB)
Prevent (3 DL, 1 LB, 5 DB)

In the flex-factor dynasty league, we start:

DL
DL/LB
LB
LB/DB
DB

And we're changing it to this for 2013:

DL
DT
DL/LB
DL/LB/DB
DL/LB/DB
LB/DB
CB
DB

The possibilities are endless. As I mentioned above, the past 2 seasons, I've played in my 1st ever IDP only league (redraft). All you really need to do to get into it is find a few sites with some good IDP rankings. Here's my 2 faves:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/app ... owrecent=7

http://ffoasis.com/content/fantasyrankings-redraftlb/

I hope this helps a little, and good luck!

;-D

THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!
Great response Flots, this is a seasoned league, but we needed something fresh, I'm excited for my 1st IDP experience....thanks again ;-D ;-D ;-D
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu May 24, 2012 5:04 pm

Mr.Joshua wrote:THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!
Great response Flots, this is a seasoned league, but we needed something fresh, I'm excited for my 1st IDP experience....thanks again ;-D ;-D ;-D

You're welcome! ;-D

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu May 24, 2012 6:19 pm

One more thing that I should've mentioned. Some leagues make you start a CB or a DT, but most leagues and fantasy sites lump all S's & CB's into DB's, and all DE's & DT's into DL's. I'm sure they exist, but I never saw a league force you to start MLB and/or OLB, but MLB's usually score more points than OLB's (more tackle opportunities), S's usually score more than CB's (again, more tackle opportunities), & DE's usually score more than DT's (more sacks). ;-D

flotsamnjetsam

Postby thriftyrocker » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:11 pm

I have a 10 team redraft league that starts 4 IDP and for breaking the ice, I think that's enough. The stud players like Willis and JPP will still carry some value. And you don't have to worry about who the MLB in Buffalo is and if he's an every down player or who the worst CB STL is who the other team always tries to abuse. If you don't want to nerd out on it from the get go it can still be interesting with a few slots.

For casual IDP and first time IDP, I would prefer higher points for big-play. Make sacks worth 4 points so a guy like Babin or JPP is a stud and worth fighting for. Tackle-heavy scoring will emphasize less "name" players like obscure MLB, and that's not ideal for whetting your appetite.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Beginner's Forum