2012 Draft Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Legion of Doom

2012 Draft Discussion

Moderators: The_Captain, mutantseabass, Football Moderators

Re: 2012 Draft Discussion

Postby SeaWolf » Tue May 22, 2012 9:51 am

jayday wrote:I just pm'd MSB. I think the draft order may be wrong. We typically go by season standings, right? I went back and looked at past years and it looks that way. The current order looks like it's going by playoff standings.

If I remember correctly, we changed it after last year so that it's off of the playoff standings.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jayday » Tue May 22, 2012 10:10 am

I guess I wasn't around for that discussion. As long as it was voted on and passed, I don't care.

Carry on.
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby mutantseabass » Tue May 22, 2012 10:36 am

SeaWolf wrote:
jayday wrote:I just pm'd MSB. I think the draft order may be wrong. We typically go by season standings, right? I went back and looked at past years and it looks that way. The current order looks like it's going by playoff standings.

If I remember correctly, we changed it after last year so that it's off of the playoff standings.

Yes, that is correct. We have been doing it wrong all these years and decided last year to go back to the way it was supposed to be.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Tue May 22, 2012 10:47 am

mutantseabass wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:

Yes, that is correct. We have been doing it wrong all these years and decided last year to go back to the way it was supposed to be.

Crap, I've got to find a way to get rid of this CRS.....I don't remember us doing that. Was that a discussion on Flea or here?

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Tue May 22, 2012 11:42 am

The_Captain wrote:Crap, I've got to find a way to get rid of this CRS.....I don't remember us doing that.

Glad I'm not the only one. :-b

Does anyone have a link to the discussion?
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby SeaWolf » Tue May 22, 2012 12:22 pm

jayday wrote:
The_Captain wrote:Crap, I've got to find a way to get rid of this CRS.....I don't remember us doing that.

Flot brought it up. The Rules said one thing but Flea had it set at another. I think. :-?

I looked but could not find the posts.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The_Captain » Tue May 22, 2012 12:58 pm

SeaWolf wrote:
jayday wrote:

Flot brought it up. The Rules said one thing but Flea had it set at another. I think. :-?

I found this post from 2009 which is the last time I *think* this was discussed. I don't recall us changing the draft order to include the playoffs, but I could be wrong unless someone finds the thread where we changed this to include playoffs:

Okay guys -

As your commissioner, this is my fault and I own the blame for the confusion regarding the draft order as it pertains to the Rules/Settings.

MSB is correct - when we formed this league it was decided long ago (in a thread I'll have to dig to find) the following year's draft order was to be based on the reverse order of the previous year's final regular season standings, excluding the playoffs. For those teams who's ended the regular season tied with another team, total points scored would be the tiebreaker. Therefore looking back on this ruling both the 2007 and 2008 draft orders should have been as follows:

2007 Draft Order (based record and points (excluding playoffs))
1. Dream (3-10, 1167.60)
2. Lecter's Leeches (5-8, 1046.35)
3. Flotzilla (5-8, 1090.05)
4. Juggernauts (6-7, 1275.25)
5. Seawolves (7-6, 1197.20)
6. Hart Foundation (7-6, 1257.65)
7. $Ming Dynasty$ (7-6, 1283.30)
8. Who's Your Paddy? (7-6, 1333.35)
9. Universal Stomp (8-5, 1225.45)
10. Blazing Saddles (10-3, 1405.65)

2008 Draft Order (based on record and points(excluding playoffs))
1. Blazing Saddles (5-8, 1262.90)
2. Something Witty (6-7, 1102.10)
3. Juggernauts (6-7, 1228.20)
4. Dream (6-7, 1241.50)
5. Flotzilla (6-7, 1294.10)
6. Who's Your Paddy? (6-7, 1393.90)
7. Lecter's Leeches (7-6, 1148.60)
8. Universal Stomp (7-6, 1292.75)
9. Seawolves (8-5, 1309.75)
10. Hart Foundation (8-5, 1467.40)

Both of these draft orders DO NOT include any trades, just base draft order. Now, I don't recall when I went and updated the Rules and Settings thread, but I tried to make sure it was as accurate as possible based on the conversations MSB and I regarding the league and prior to the draft.

Also, MSB is correct in the expansion of the rosters to 29 and then opening up FA on June 1st. With the move to FleaFlicker I can make this happen and again have fallen short on my commissioner duties. I can only offer my apologies and will do my very best to make sure things go back to being as smooth as possible going forward.

Flots, you were instrumental in making sure our league was informed on end of season rosters and draft order, which is immensely appreciated. Your attention to the details really help me out as commissioner. However, it was my responsibility for making sure of the accuracy of the information which I didn't do. I took for granted you were aware of the league setting regarding draft order and I apologize for not doing a better job at making sure all were aware of the rulings.

I obviously can't change what's happened in the past and it's my hope no one has felt cheated regarding their draft positions or selections because of my lack of attention. This is one of the most competitive leagues I've EVER been a part of, with some exceptional savvy and classy owners, and our team records from the past couple of years reflect the competitiveness of this league.

So with apologies offered, my commitment to the league is to make sure:

The Rules/Settings thread is as accurate as possible and up-to-date. MSB - I could use your help in make sure what's in there is accurate according to our conversations (those you can remember).
Making sure all drafts going forward, including this year, are based on the reverse order of the previous year's final regular season standings (excluding playoffs) with total points being the tie-breaker.
Expanding the rosters to 29 (24 man + 4 round draft + can't remember the extra slot (msb?))
Opening FA on June 1st, or there about once the Rookie/FA draft is over.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to comment, offer suggestions, etc.

The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue May 22, 2012 1:40 pm

The_Captain wrote:
SeaWolf wrote:
jayday wrote:Glad I'm not the only one. :-b

I found this post from 2009 which is the last time I *think* this was discussed. I don't recall us changing the draft order to include the playoffs, but I could be wrong unless someone finds the thread where we changed this to include playoffs:

Okay guys -

As your commissioner, this is my fault and I own the blame for the confusion regarding the draft order as it pertains to the Rules/Settings.

MSB is correct - when we formed this league it was decided long ago (in a thread I'll have to dig to find) the following year's draft order was to be based on the reverse order of the previous year's final regular season standings, excluding the playoffs. For those teams who's ended the regular season tied with another team, total points scored would be the tiebreaker. Therefore looking back on this ruling both the 2007 and 2008 draft orders should have been as follows:

2007 Draft Order (based record and points (excluding playoffs))
1. Dream (3-10, 1167.60)
2. Lecter's Leeches (5-8, 1046.35)
3. Flotzilla (5-8, 1090.05)
4. Juggernauts (6-7, 1275.25)
5. Seawolves (7-6, 1197.20)
6. Hart Foundation (7-6, 1257.65)
7. $Ming Dynasty$ (7-6, 1283.30)
8. Who's Your Paddy? (7-6, 1333.35)
9. Universal Stomp (8-5, 1225.45)
10. Blazing Saddles (10-3, 1405.65)

2008 Draft Order (based on record and points(excluding playoffs))
1. Blazing Saddles (5-8, 1262.90)
2. Something Witty (6-7, 1102.10)
3. Juggernauts (6-7, 1228.20)
4. Dream (6-7, 1241.50)
5. Flotzilla (6-7, 1294.10)
6. Who's Your Paddy? (6-7, 1393.90)
7. Lecter's Leeches (7-6, 1148.60)
8. Universal Stomp (7-6, 1292.75)
9. Seawolves (8-5, 1309.75)
10. Hart Foundation (8-5, 1467.40)

Both of these draft orders DO NOT include any trades, just base draft order. Now, I don't recall when I went and updated the Rules and Settings thread, but I tried to make sure it was as accurate as possible based on the conversations MSB and I regarding the league and prior to the draft.

Also, MSB is correct in the expansion of the rosters to 29 and then opening up FA on June 1st. With the move to FleaFlicker I can make this happen and again have fallen short on my commissioner duties. I can only offer my apologies and will do my very best to make sure things go back to being as smooth as possible going forward.

Flots, you were instrumental in making sure our league was informed on end of season rosters and draft order, which is immensely appreciated. Your attention to the details really help me out as commissioner. However, it was my responsibility for making sure of the accuracy of the information which I didn't do. I took for granted you were aware of the league setting regarding draft order and I apologize for not doing a better job at making sure all were aware of the rulings.

I obviously can't change what's happened in the past and it's my hope no one has felt cheated regarding their draft positions or selections because of my lack of attention. This is one of the most competitive leagues I've EVER been a part of, with some exceptional savvy and classy owners, and our team records from the past couple of years reflect the competitiveness of this league.

So with apologies offered, my commitment to the league is to make sure:

The Rules/Settings thread is as accurate as possible and up-to-date. MSB - I could use your help in make sure what's in there is accurate according to our conversations (those you can remember).
Making sure all drafts going forward, including this year, are based on the reverse order of the previous year's final regular season standings (excluding playoffs) with total points being the tie-breaker.
Expanding the rosters to 29 (24 man + 4 round draft + can't remember the extra slot (msb?))
Opening FA on June 1st, or there about once the Rookie/FA draft is over.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to comment, offer suggestions, etc.

I also don't think that we ever officially changed the way we do our draft order. Going by last years "draft order" thread, it looks like we were still doing it by final standings (minus playoffs):

viewtopic.php?t=491000

I'm just saying this because Cappy wrote "final standings, minus playoffs" at the top of the draft order. I didn't look at flea to see what last years draft order actually went by (plus or minus playoffs).

EDIT: I looked at flea after posting this, and last years draft order was the reverse of final standings minus playoffs.

I think all my other leagues have the rookie draft order based on final standings, including playoffs (which is why I made the mistake with our rookie draft order back in the beginning), and I'd probably vote for that if it was proposed, but I'm fine either way. Maybe we should have a quick vote before we get into the picks that might be affected?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby The_Captain » Tue May 22, 2012 2:28 pm

I'll get with MSB on this, but my feeling is unless we can find a discussion thread where it was concluded and/or voted on where we "include playoffs" to set the draft order we should maintain the original rule where reverse order of the previous year's final season standing (not including playoffs) determines the draft order.

I'm all for changing this to make it more "NFL like" (which I think was discussed a time before), but as has always been the tradition it needs to be discussed and voted on.

Thoughts? Concerns? Tomatoes?

The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue May 22, 2012 3:09 pm

The_Captain wrote:I'll get with MSB on this, but my feeling is unless we can find a discussion thread where it was concluded and/or voted on where we "include playoffs" to set the draft order we should maintain the original rule where reverse order of the previous year's final season standing (not including playoffs) determines the draft order.

I'm all for changing this to make it more "NFL like" (which I think was discussed a time before), but as has always been the tradition it needs to be discussed and voted on.

Thoughts? Concerns? Tomatoes?

Although almost all (if not all) my other dynasty leagues have their rookie drafts as the reverse order including playoffs, but I see merits on both. I think most leagues do it the other way just because that's how the NFL does it. But our way makes the draft order more representative of how teams fared during the season. In our way, if the 6th seed wins it all...they still have the #5 pick instead of the #10. And the 1st seed has the #10 pick no matter what they do in the playoffs. Honestly, the more I think about it while I'm typing this, I think we should change our rule to make it more like the NFL. If it's good for the NFL... :-?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

PreviousNext

Return to Legion of Doom