Which takes more stamina, tennis or football? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Which takes more stamina, tennis or football?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which takes more stamina, tennis or football?

Postby Virginia » Tue May 22, 2012 5:23 am

I was in a heated argument with my friends about this. One is a very good and nationally known prep tennis player, the other is a good receiver in our conference. The two argued which one takes more stamina. Being a soccer player, I didn't take an immediate side. However, I would have to say tennis outplays most of football's positions. What do you think?
Virginia
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Which takes more stamina, tennis or football?

Postby m16a » Tue May 22, 2012 11:56 am

Speaking as a tennis player into my late HS years, I'll say that tennis, which takes great physical endurance, takes a very WEIRD kind of physical endurance. As a tennis player, one must be capable of doing essentially nothing, to a spurt of full use energy, and stop again. It's a ton of stop start, which breeds a very weird form of stamina. I'm in decent shape as a whole, I have played long games of tennis, to the tune of well over 2 hours before. But tell me to run a few miles, and I'm not gonna do so great. Tennis clearly takes stamina, but it is an odd form of stamina. My first reaction would be that tennis takes more stamina overall, however, toughness, endurance, and strength are clearly won by football players, particularly RBs, OL/DL, and TE/FB. I can't speak to the football side, since I've never played, but that's a quick take on it in my mind.

As a side note, welcome to the cafe. I hope you'll stick around and enjoy the wonderful community we have here at the Cafe. ;-D I'm going to move this to general talk after this post, to get a better response. The football talk forum is more suited for football news, player discussion, and more directly football related discussion.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby murphysxm » Tue May 22, 2012 7:10 pm

C. Soccer

Between Tennis and Football, I'd probably lean tennis, but didn't play much of either....
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:53 am

Tennis also takes more mental stamina. There's a stamina aspect to being able to think clearly enough to make smart decisions repeatedly over a long period of time. Football requires more physical stamina to run, push, move quickly, etc. over time. I think they are really different types of stamina....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed May 23, 2012 1:46 am

I think they are close but im leaning towards football slightly. Tennis does take that weird stamina and the players do run alot expend massive energy. However, football players go for less time but need to exhaust more energy per burst (each down) here is the definition of Stamina:

Physical or moral strength to resist or withstand illness, fatigue, or hardship; endurance.

Tennis players use strength per shot in bursts but being built like a football player would hinder their mobility to get to the shots. Football players can be quick and endure alot but if they dont have the strength to overpower the opponent they are not going to succeed.

Hard to compare the 2 but it would be like a tennis player having to fend off a block to get to where the ball is after the opponent hit it.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby coopersarah » Tue May 29, 2012 5:37 am

WOW! All this time I though it is Football that takes more stamina. Take for posting this topic. Somehow I get more info ;-D
coopersarah
Monday Morning Quarterback

Return to General Talk