What a cluster____ @ WR after Calvin... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

What a cluster____ @ WR after Calvin...

Moderator: Football Moderators

What a cluster____ @ WR after Calvin...

Postby Mr.Joshua » Thu May 24, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm having a tough time ranking this group after Calvin in a 1 ppr league. The likes of Fitz, AJ, Roddy, Welker, Nicks, Jennings, Nelson, Cruz, Wallace, Green & Julio. I say any 1 of these guys could end up #2 or say top 5. Not even mentioning BMarsh and Dez who may put up monster #'s this year. Who are the smart picks and why?
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: What a cluster____ @ WR after Calvin...

Postby RKRJ » Thu May 24, 2012 7:02 pm

2. Fitz - because he has the best hands in the league and he seems to produce no matter who is throwing to him
3. Welker - I think he has 3 more good years left for dynasty purposes, PPR he is a beast.
4. Green - He is the closest thing to Megatron and will only get better, beware of the sophomore slump for Dalton though, especially in that divison.
5.White - I don't like him but he is too consistent to not have him up here, plus the Falcons are going more pass happy.
6. Jennings - Rodgers is the man and he is Rodgers favorite target, Finley can't stay healthy and there is no way Nelson can get 1300 yards and 15 tds with only 63 catches next year.
7. Wallace - I like Antonio Brown and his TD's are all long distance.
8. Cruz - He seems to break so many tackles and his tds range from short yardage to 99 yards. Plus Nicks just can't get right!
9. Julio - I think White is still the man for another year or two and Gonzalez and Turner eat up all the red zone tds. Plus he has health concerns going back to college
10. Nicks - Never stays healthy, broke his ankle today as I am writing this, but IF he does stay health you can vault him into the top 5 and then some!
11 AJ - He has missed significant time in 4 out of the last 7 years, and he is going to be 32 (off the top of my head) at the start of the season. He is good but the risk is huge!
12. Dez - I think he breaks out this year, I also think after this year he is a great sell high candidate, he seems to be injury prone and character flaws.
13. BMarsh - I think he is another sell high guy too, Chicago runs the ball too much (probably why they got a good backup for Forte) character flaws on him too.
RKRJ
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby murphysxm » Thu May 24, 2012 8:02 pm

I kind of look at it as a personal choice. There can be a legitimate argument for a dozen guys being pretty much equal. Take who you like or what your gut tells you. I personally think the veteran's will have more value since everybody is enamored with Julio, AJ, Cruz and Dez.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby dblj9911 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:32 pm

Well you can look at each players history and have a pretty good idea of what they will, may possibly do.
Fitz- he is a beast, puts up numbers with no qb, now he has help at the #2 wr
Nicks- just broke his foot, will he come back healthy
Cruz- one year wonder? Expanded role without Manningham, numbers may dip
Wallace- contract issues, if he signs early he may be motivated to get a big $$$deal
Jennings / Nelson- high powered O, Jennings has done it, can Nelson repeat?
Green /Jones- if Jones stays healthy he should have a monster year, can the wr's take pressure off of Grean in year two?
Welker- Mr Consistent, a beast in ppr
Dez- a head case, should be a beast, but needs to get his head out of his a$$
Marshall- back with Cutler, which personality shows up?
AJ- a monster
White- will a healthy Jones cut into his #'s?

To me I go Fitz, AJ, Welker, Wallace, Jennings and then it gets crazy.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=513174
dblj9911
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 75)

Postby Stevooo » Sat May 26, 2012 12:03 am

Fitz, AJ , Green in that order.
I drink because of the 1998 NFC championship game.

12 team big $$$ non PPR league - QB RB RB WR WR TE D K

QB: Rivers
RB: Murray, Matthews, R.Bush, D. Brown
WR: Julio Jones, Colston, VJax, Garcon
TE: Witten, Gresham
K: Kaeding
DST: SEA
Stevooo
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Indibuck » Sat May 26, 2012 12:19 pm

There seems to be no real consensus as to who is #2 WR after Calvin.

Depending on where I am drafting in redrafts, I may pass on a lot of this group if I think I can get one or two of these guys later and get RB or QB value.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Sat May 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Indibuck wrote:There seems to be no real consensus as to who is #2 WR after Calvin.

Depending on where I am drafting in redrafts, I may pass on a lot of this group if I think I can get one or two of these guys later and get RB or QB value.

I think this is the best option. Let others worry about it if there is a value at QB or RB worth your 2nd or 3rd round pick
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Shark1225 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:00 pm

To me it is Calvin - Tier 1
Tier 2 - Andre Johnson, Fitz (almost a tier 1.5)
Tier 3 - everyone else mentioned

In my keeper league I traded for Cruz, so I am keeping him for a 17th round pick and am really hoping I can get any of those Tier 2 guys with my second pick, 18th overall (but with 36 guys already being kept).
QB: BREES, Cutler
RB: TURNER, MCGAHEE, R. JENNINGS, Leshoure, D. Williams, Hillman, Hunter, Dwyer
WR: CRUZ, GARCON, Amendola, Edwards, D. Baldwin
TE: GRAHAM
Shark1225
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 20)

Postby northernpackfan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:09 pm

While I mostly agree with the idea that a lot of these guys are interchangeable, and it would be a better strategy to pursue value at other positions and take the leftovers at WR, I'm going to throw out some ideas just to keep the thread interesting...

Fitz and AJ have to be at the top of that list. They have consistantly played at an elite level over an extended time. And while both teams added a receiver in the draft, rookies rarely have a dramatic impact on star's stats. Fitz gets the nod over AJ because he is healthier.

I put White and Welker in the next category. Both are consistantly elite, but are a notch below Fitz and AJ because they face the possibility of losing touches to more experienced teammates. Now that Lloyd provides a new outlet in New England, and White owners have to consider the fact that Jones could break out even more this year. I really can't put one over the other between these two.

Jennings and Nicks are again, a step below, as their teammates appear to be on the rise, while they have shown signs that they may not be the best receiver on their team. The emergence of Nelson and Cruz last year surrounds Jennings and Nicks with a lot of question marks, and makes them a risky pick. Again, Jennings over Nicks because he is a healthier player.

Wallace, IMO, is clearly the bottom of the proven WRs. While he can almost compete statistically with Jennings and Nicks, he's got a new OC, and questions about how happy he is with the way he was treated by the Steelers this offseason.

And then there are the up-and-comers. Not that I consider them at the bottom of this list, but none have more than one year of elite statistical production, and therefore present more of a risk-reward scenario. Jones, Nelson, Cruz and Green all burst onto the fantasy scene last season, some more predictably than others.

I'd probably put Green at the top of this group, since he doesn't have anyone to steal touches from him, and the Bengals will need to throw more now that they seem intent on ignoring their workhorse RB. That being said, Green is also the only one on this part of the list who is relying on a relatively unproven QB. I'd rate Nelson next, since he is on a team that relies so heavily on the passing game, he is all but guaranteed to get enough touches to repeat his stud status. I'd put Cruz over Jones, since Nicks is more prone to missing games due to injury than White.
northernpackfan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:18 pm

northernpackfan wrote:While I mostly agree with the idea that a lot of these guys are interchangeable, and it would be a better strategy to pursue value at other positions and take the leftovers at WR, I'm going to throw out some ideas just to keep the thread interesting...

Fitz and AJ have to be at the top of that list. They have consistantly played at an elite level over an extended time. And while both teams added a receiver in the draft, rookies rarely have a dramatic impact on star's stats. Fitz gets the nod over AJ because he is healthier.

I put White and Welker in the next category. Both are consistantly elite, but are a notch below Fitz and AJ because they face the possibility of losing touches to more experienced teammates. Now that Lloyd provides a new outlet in New England, and White owners have to consider the fact that Jones could break out even more this year. I really can't put one over the other between these two.

Jennings and Nicks are again, a step below, as their teammates appear to be on the rise, while they have shown signs that they may not be the best receiver on their team. The emergence of Nelson and Cruz last year surrounds Jennings and Nicks with a lot of question marks, and makes them a risky pick. Again, Jennings over Nicks because he is a healthier player.

Wallace, IMO, is clearly the bottom of the proven WRs. While he can almost compete statistically with Jennings and Nicks, he's got a new OC, and questions about how happy he is with the way he was treated by the Steelers this offseason.

And then there are the up-and-comers. Not that I consider them at the bottom of this list, but none have more than one year of elite statistical production, and therefore present more of a risk-reward scenario. Jones, Nelson, Cruz and Green all burst onto the fantasy scene last season, some more predictably than others.

I'd probably put Green at the top of this group, since he doesn't have anyone to steal touches from him, and the Bengals will need to throw more now that they seem intent on ignoring their workhorse RB. That being said, Green is also the only one on this part of the list who is relying on a relatively unproven QB. I'd rate Nelson next, since he is on a team that relies so heavily on the passing game, he is all but guaranteed to get enough touches to repeat his stud status. I'd put Cruz over Jones, since Nicks is more prone to missing games due to injury than White.

and what makes this post/thread so great, is my personal #5 WR isn't even mentioned in the above post.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions