Complicated trade situation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Complicated trade situation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Complicated trade situation

Postby Jason497 » Thu May 24, 2012 10:02 pm

Another owner asked me last night what I would want for Mike Williams TBB. I honestly have no clue.

I might be crazy but I've been warming up to Mike Williams more lately and I think trading him now I'd be selling low, last season is his floor imo. Overhauling the staff and bringing in Mike Sullivan to run the offense is huge to me, he'll bring a lot of that NYG offense after coaching their WRs for 6 years and then coaching Eli the last 2 (his best 2 seasons). When they got rid of Winslow it made me believe that there would be enough targets for both Jackson and him to succeed and now Mike won't be doubled anymore. I could see a real bounce back in his 3rd year, the year WRs usually breakout. They also upgraded the O-Line.

Of course he could also go the Michael Clayton route and it wouldn't surprise me either.

This is a 12 team PPR league, we have 9 keepers. Well, it's actually 8 keepers with 1 optional 3 year rookie tag keeper. Tagging a rookie means you have to keep him for 3 years (unless you trade him, but a team can only have 1 tagged player at any time, so you either trade tags or send him to a team who doesn't have a tagged player). This is my 3rd year in the league and I've never seen someone forgo a tag and go with 1 less keeper, just puts you at a disadvantage I guess.

Anyway Mike Williams is my tag from last year (and I traded 1.05 to get him). The other team's tag expired and he was tinkering with the idea of aquiring someone else's instead of tagging someone new. The rookies on his team include Greg Little, Kendall Hunter, Stevan Ridley, Ryan Williams, Jacquizz Rodgers, Randall Cobb. He also gutted his draft in a trade for Roddy White last season so there's not much there either.

The only guy I like in that group is Greg Little.

The rest of his team is

Carson Palmer
Matt Ryan

Lesean Mccoy
CJ2K

Percy Harvin
Dez Bryant
Roddy White
Heyward Bey

Antonio Gates

He has picks

My team (well, the important parts)

Michael Vick
Eli Manning

Maurice Jones-Drew
Darren Mcfadden

Rashad Jennings

Vincent Jackson
Demaryius Thomas
Robert Meachem
Reggie Wayne
Mike Williams TBB

Michael Crabtree

We can also trade 2013 picks.

I guess the question is what do you see in Mike Williams vs. Greg Little, the fact I'd have to hold Little 3 years vs. Mike 2 years, and if there's a logical move that would improve my team here?
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Complicated trade situation

Postby kgecklund » Thu May 24, 2012 10:20 pm

In my mind I would keep MWTB over Greg Little.

Mike Williams had a great rookie year, we know what he is capable of. The offense in Tampa Bay was absolutely horrible last year and I agree that last year was his floor.

I live about an hour from cleveland but I'm not a browns fan. Let's just say theyre as bad as a football team gets and I would want nothing to do with any of their players but Trent Richardson. Not to mention Little drops everything that comes his way.

Can you help me out with mine? viewtopic.php?t=513170
kgecklund
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 22)

Postby RKRJ » Thu May 24, 2012 10:27 pm

I absolutely hate Mike Williams, I think his td total from his rookie year was the only aberration. He had about the same amount of targets and catches in his second year as he did in his rookie year. He is going to be a 50 to 70 catch a year guy from 800 to 1000 yards and probably around 5 tds. Those wr's are a dime a dozen and you can find them on the waiver wire every year. I would go after Kendall Hunter first, he won't be great this year but he has the making of being a very good back in 2013 and beyond, I also love Randall Cobb but he is in the same boat as Hunter it will take a year or two before you get production. (You got good wr's so it doesn't hurt having him ride the pine), I also like Greg Little, he is going to give you the same numbers as Mike Williams this year but he has alot more upside. I like Stevan Ridley too and I think this is a nice time to buy low on him, the Patriots signed Joseph Addai and he is going to be the starter but he is injury prone and Ridley showed flashes last year.

The other reason I don't like Mike Williams is because he is probably going to be the 4th option on that team behind V. Jackson, Dallas Clark (if he has anything left), and Doug Martin, and Tampa doesn't have the kind of explosive offense where the 4th option is going to put up fantasy numbers that warrant him to be a starter on your team.
RKRJ
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby dblj9911 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:22 pm

Plain and simple this is a make or break year for Williams. I think that Little has more upside than Williams at this point. Little didn't play college ball for a year and then went to Cleveland with poor qb play, no running game and he put up decent numbers. So if Weeden can be a decent qb and Richardson can give them some running game (they need there o-line to turn it around) then Little has a shot to break out. I think if it's me I'm taking a flyer on Little and hoping he breaks out and Cleveland turns there offense around. Good luck.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=513174
dblj9911
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 75)

Postby stomperrob » Mon May 28, 2012 8:16 pm

I think Williams' character issues coming out of college reared their ugly head last year. In his rookie year he played well, but last year when the team stunk he just seemed to mail in his game performances and didn't really care about the game - reminds me a lot of Randy Moss who stunk with the Raiders but enjoyed a miraculous rebirth with the Patriots - that's how I see Williams, he'll play good for a winning team but be happy to goof off and just collect his paycheck on a losing team. There was also concern voiced in the Tampa media about his off field behavior last season - apparently the kid likes to party at night and was not always in the best condition when he reported for work in the morning.

No question the kid has talent, but I sure have to question his brain and his commitment - maybe the little light bulb in his brain will click on at some point, but I wouldn't want to gamble too much on that!

:-t :-t
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby Shark1225 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:23 pm

RKRJ wrote:I absolutely hate Mike Williams, I think his td total from his rookie year was the only aberration. He had about the same amount of targets and catches in his second year as he did in his rookie year. He is going to be a 50 to 70 catch a year guy from 800 to 1000 yards and probably around 5 tds. Those wr's are a dime a dozen and you can find them on the waiver wire every year. I would go after Kendall Hunter first, he won't be great this year but he has the making of being a very good back in 2013 and beyond, I also love Randall Cobb but he is in the same boat as Hunter it will take a year or two before you get production. (You got good wr's so it doesn't hurt having him ride the pine), I also like Greg Little, he is going to give you the same numbers as Mike Williams this year but he has alot more upside. I like Stevan Ridley too and I think this is a nice time to buy low on him, the Patriots signed Joseph Addai and he is going to be the starter but he is injury prone and Ridley showed flashes last year.

The other reason I don't like Mike Williams is because he is probably going to be the 4th option on that team behind V. Jackson, Dallas Clark (if he has anything left), and Doug Martin, and Tampa doesn't have the kind of explosive offense where the 4th option is going to put up fantasy numbers that warrant him to be a starter on your team.
I agree with the sentiment of this. While I don't hate Williams I don't see him having another 2010.

Little was a stopgap measure for a team desparate for any offense in 2011.

I also really like Hunter. He is one injury away from getting a huge opportunity to put up bigtime numbers and even if that doesn't come in 2012 it should in 2013.
QB: BREES, Cutler
RB: TURNER, MCGAHEE, R. JENNINGS, Leshoure, D. Williams, Hillman, Hunter, Dwyer
WR: CRUZ, GARCON, Amendola, Edwards, D. Baldwin
TE: GRAHAM
Shark1225
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 20)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions