Hasselbeck vs Locker - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hasselbeck vs Locker

Moderator: Football Moderators

Hasselbeck vs Locker

Postby stomperrob » Sat May 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Palmer: Competition will better Locker, Hasselbeck
Posted on May 24, 2012 by JOHN GLENNON, The Tennessean

There’s nothing quite like an open quarterback competition to fuel an entire offseason’s worth of speculation. That’s where the Titans find themselves, after coach Mike Munchak wrapped up the 2011 season by saying the starting quarterback job would be up for grabs between Matt Hasselbeck and Jake Locker.

Titans coaches will certainly get tired of discussing the situation with media over the next few months, but offensive coordinator Chris Palmer says he still thinks it’s a good idea that the two quarterbacks will be trying to one-up one another.

“Just like anything, it’s competition,” Palmer said today at Baptist Sports Park. “I always felt when I played squash or tennis, when I played someone that was better than me I raised my game. I think it’s good and I think it’s fun. The thing that is really good is that both guys get along and I think that opens up the competition. I think both will grow and accept it for what it is.”

Palmer acknowledged that Locker, entering his second year, gives the Titans a different dimension with his athleticism, but that the 36-year-old Hasselbeck – who had one of the better years of his career last season – brings advantages to the tables as well.

“(Jake) gives you some plays that Matt doesn’t give you and that’s his legs,” Palmer said. “(There’s) not a lot of 36-year-old quarterbacks that are running around and making plays with their legs. It all comes down to who is going to give you the most plays.

con't...

more: http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2012 ... asselbeck/
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Hasselbeck vs Locker

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon May 28, 2012 6:19 pm

I still think Hass's decision making will keep him the #1. But Locker will probably be inserted into the starting lineup sometime this year either by injury or if the Titans are losing.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby murphysxm » Mon May 28, 2012 7:42 pm

I like what the Titans are doing. Locker is getting a chance to learn the game from a real pro and has less pressure than some of his peers. I think Hass plays the year and is gone next year, unless they are a losing team and Locker gets run this year.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby stomperrob » Mon May 28, 2012 7:52 pm

murphysxm wrote:I like what the Titans are doing. Locker is getting a chance to learn the game from a real pro and has less pressure than some of his peers. I think Hass plays the year and is gone next year, unless they are a losing team and Locker gets run this year.

I'd say that was pretty accurate, although I also wouldn't be at all surprised if Locker was handed the reigns sometime this season.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon May 28, 2012 8:01 pm

stomperrob wrote:
murphysxm wrote:I like what the Titans are doing. Locker is getting a chance to learn the game from a real pro and has less pressure than some of his peers. I think Hass plays the year and is gone next year, unless they are a losing team and Locker gets run this year.

I'd say that was pretty accurate, although I also wouldn't be at all surprised if Locker was handed the reigns sometime this season.

Agreed. I have always felt that Hasselbeck is a consumate professional. Sounds as if the FO is sending a message to the fans and maybe the team if it needs one. Locker will get a chance this season. The only thing that could prevent that is a great season under Hasselbeck.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:26 pm

June 1, 2012 by JIM WYATT, The Tennessean
Matt Hasselbeck isn’t sweating the race to be the Titans starting quarterback in 2012. On Friday, after the team completed its third straight day on the practice field, the veteran said he’s approaching his job no different this season than in years past.

“Am I competing? Sure, absolutely, I am competing for my job,” he said. “But that’s every year, all the time.”

But he made it clear he’d like to keep his starting job from last season.

Coach Mike Munchak said the plan is for Hasselbeck and second-year pro Jake Locker to work with different offensive units, comprised of first- and second-team players, during the offseason. In the end, he’d like to see the reps divided 50-50. Ideally, he’d like to make a decision on the quarterback race by the third preseason game in late August.

“Sure we would. We would like that for all positions. Going into that third game you would like to have an idea of what your plan is,” Munchak said. “I feel so good about both of them I am not necessarily leaning either way on it. I feel like either way it is going to be a good situation for the team

http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2012 ... t-in-reps/
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Tennessee Titans wait to decide: Matt Hasselbeck or Jake Locker?
1:57 AM, Jul 16, 2012
Written by Jim Wyatt
The Tennessean

It’s been the talk all offseason, and Titans Coach Mike Munchak knows the topic won’t go away any time soon.

Which quarterback — veteran Matt Hasselbeck or 2011 first-round pick Jake Locker — will be the team’s starter on opening day against the Patriots?

When the Titans begin training camp on July 28, the race will continue.

“Everyone is always excited about the new guy. I think that’s how it always is, especially in the quarterback world,’’ Munchak said. “I think people enjoyed watching Matt, being a Super Bowl quarterback, and what he brought to the team last year.

“But everyone wants to see Jake. As soon as Jake started playing it was, ‘Let’s see the young guy.’ And I think no matter what happens at the quarterback spot, some people are going to want the old guy, some are going to want the young guy. It’s going to go back and forth.”

con't...

more: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120 ... ck_check=1
stomperrob

Postby Wood Chipper » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:19 am

That is how all QB's should learn the game for the first couple of years.
Wooden Icicles PPR (Horse Traders Dynasty)
Wood Chipper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby stomperrob » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:52 pm

Munchak: Locker closing the gap on Hasselbeck
Posted on August 12, 2012 by JIM WYATT, The Tennessean

SEATTLE The more games like Saturday night’s, the more Titans fans are going to start clamoring for second-year pro Jake Locker to be the starting quarterback on Sept. 9 against the Patriots.

Veteran Matt Hasselbeck had a tough night against the Seahawks, his old team. He completed 5 of 9 passes for 45 yards and threw two interceptions. One of those picks was returned for a touchdown. Locker, meanwhile, completed 7 of 13 passes for 80 yards.

After the Titans lost 27-17 to the Seahawks, coach Mike Munchak hinted Locker might start in Friday’s preseason game at Tampa Bay. He also said Locker had closed the gap in the quarterback competition throughout the offseason.

“I don’t know if there was a big gap,” Munchak said. “Obviously Jake doesn’t have the experience Matt has, so I think that gap you can never really close if you are a young quarterback. But I think overall, as the season progressed last year, we thought that Jake was coming on real strong. … So yeah, he has closed the gap and they are obviously both doing well. We are happy with both of them and at some point we’ll make a decision.”

Munchak said Hasselbeck didn’t have as bad a night as his stats might suggest, however. He said it was hard to fault Hasselbeck for a ball that receiver Nate Washington deflected, only to see it end up in the hands of a Seattle.

con't...

more: http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2012 ... asselbeck/
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Tennessee Titans' Jake Locker to start vs. Bucs
5:40 PM, Aug 13, 2012
Written by Jim Wyatt
The Tennessean

Matt Hasselbeck got his chance. Now it’s Jake Locker’s turn.

Locker will make his first NFL start on Friday when the Titans play the Buccaneers (6:30 p.m., WKRN-2, 104.5-FM).

Coach Mike Munchak, trying to decide on a starter for the regular season, said he wants to give the second-year pro an opportunity in a bigger role. Locker and the first-team offense are expected to play close to a half.

“It is a position he hasn’t had a chance to be in yet,” Munchak said Monday. “… It should be a good test under a lot of duress, being on the road against a young team that wants to win games.”

Locker and Hasselbeck have been competing all offseason to win the starting job. Munchak previously said he’d like to name the starter for the regular season around the third preseason game — Aug. 23 against the Cardinals at LP Field — but lately he has backed off that timetable.

con't...

more: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120 ... ck_check=1
stomperrob

Next

Return to Football Talk