Favorite Present and Past NFL Player? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Favorite Present and Past NFL Player?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Favorite Present and Past NFL Player?

Postby joejlitz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:38 pm

moochman wrote:Present - Gronk. Redefining FFB draft strategies as we now contemplate drafting a TE in the first round.

I like your reasoning, here.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Indibuck » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:06 pm

Past: Cris Carter. The same guy who, as Buddy Ryan used to lament, "Only catches touchdowns." He was one of my favorite Buckeyes as a kid and was a lot of fun to watch in the pros. Crying shame he's still waiting to get into the HOF.

Present: On defense, it's Ray Lewis. I'm no Ravens fan but the guy is a monster and at least on par with the best LBs of all time (Butkus et al). On offense: Adrian Peterson. I hope his injury doesn't change him going forward. But he's just so tough, and I love his running style.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby joejlitz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:01 am

Indibuck wrote:Past: Cris Carter. The same guy who, as Buddy Ryan used to lament, "Only catches touchdowns." He was one of my favorite Buckeyes as a kid and was a lot of fun to watch in the pros. Crying shame he's still waiting to get into the HOF.

Present: On defense, it's Ray Lewis. I'm no Ravens fan but the guy is a monster and at least on par with the best LBs of all time (Butkus et al). On offense: Adrian Peterson. I hope his injury doesn't change him going forward. But he's just so tough, and I love his running style.

But do you know WHY Buddy Ryan said that? :-?
Hint: It's not the obvious.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Indibuck » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:15 pm

joejlitz wrote:
Indibuck wrote:Past: Cris Carter. The same guy who, as Buddy Ryan used to lament, "Only catches touchdowns." He was one of my favorite Buckeyes as a kid and was a lot of fun to watch in the pros. Crying shame he's still waiting to get into the HOF.

If I remember correctly, it was as a complaint... he didn't do the little things, run proper routes, block for his RBs, etc. But you are the Philly guy, so I defer to you.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:43 pm

I'd put The Minister of Defense, Reggie White, in there as an all-time favorite, too.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby joejlitz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Indibuck wrote:
joejlitz wrote:

If I remember correctly, it was as a complaint... he didn't do the little things, run proper routes, block for his RBs, etc. But you are the Philly guy, so I defer to you.

That was what he espoused. But the true reason is that Chris Carter was hooked on coke. Buddy knew it. The whole team knew it. I guess Carter had strong ties to the drug scene in Philly at the time and Buddy knew the only way to help him was to get him out of town. Therefore, he released him with the comment, "All he does is catch touchdown passes."

I was looking for an article where Carter publicly thanked Buddy for doing this, but I gotta get back to homework.

Here's the best I could find with a reference to it:
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2012/2/9/2 ... nton-again
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:25 pm

My favorite past player was Emmitt Smith.

My favorite player now is a close tie between Adrian Peterson and Ray Lewis
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby m16a » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:31 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I'd put The Minister of Defense, Reggie White, in there as an all-time favorite, too.

Don't think I've ever seen a 6 foot plus 300 pound plus man move quite like Reggie White did. It was terrifyingly awe inspiring. Dude was just absolutely dominant. Unfair to the OLine that he played against.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

Postby Indibuck » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:51 am

joejlitz wrote:
Indibuck wrote:
joejlitz wrote:But do you know WHY Buddy Ryan said that? :-?

That was what he espoused. But the true reason is that Chris Carter was hooked on coke. Buddy knew it. The whole team knew it. I guess Carter had strong ties to the drug scene in Philly at the time and Buddy knew the only way to help him was to get him out of town. Therefore, he released him with the comment, "All he does is catch touchdown passes."

I was looking for an article where Carter publicly thanked Buddy for doing this, but I gotta get back to homework.

Here's the best I could find with a reference to it:
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2012/2/9/2 ... nton-again

Great link on Cris. I am not one bit surprised with the alleged drug use. But then again, in the 80's, what star athlete wasn't into coke?

He has definitely matured over the years. He has a son, Duron, who started his football career at Ohio State, but didn't like going to class and flunked out. He attended CC the following year, then transferred to Alabama.... where he allegedly flunked out again. Rumors circulated about drug use there as well. Apparently, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Coincidentally, I saw Cris play basketball in HS... he could have played NBA ball. Just a tremendous all-around athlete.
Indibuck

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:51 pm

Damn tough question to answer.

Past: I'd have to say Jim Harbaugh. During our leaner years, us Colts fans didn't have a heck of a lot to look forward to every year. When Harbaugh arrived on the scene in 1994, I don't think many of us batted an eyelash. What we didn't know was just how amazing a run we would have with him. The 1995 season alone was so special - squeaking into the playoffs and then having an incredible run through the playoffs only to fall a Hail Mary TD pass away from the Super Bowl. Harbaugh was so damn exciting to watch back then. There's no question, he's one of my all-time favorites.

Present: It's so hard to not say Peyton Manning after all he's done for us. The man is absolute class and one of the greatest QBs of my generation and likely anyone else's for that matter.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk