Ryan Mathews - dud or stud? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Ryan Mathews - dud or stud?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ryan Mathews - dud or stud?

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Tue May 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Agree to disagree.

Let me just say this though - I am not talking about Sean Alexander blowing up for 5 TDs - what is anyone going to do against that? I am talking about, say, Brian Westbrook going for 100 total yards and 2 TDs. The 1.1 NEVER beating that is monumentally frustrating. Also, I didn't say he averaged 19 points a game. That would be fine. He was usually between 12-15. That is a significant difference.

You know I really hate the phrase/argument "intangibles!" (looking at at you Derek Jeter synchophants) but that has a lot to do with my aversion/fear of Norv as well. There may not be any statistical or even logical reason but the ball always seemed to bounce the wrong way with him/LT. And I fear that.

Having said all of this I DO LIKE Mathews and would be happy to draft him. My main fear is injuries. Followed by Norv.

Thanks for the analysis and the link.
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 30)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Those About To Rock » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:04 pm

I have no faith in an aging, and never quite there, SD team that is going to continue to get worse. That with the Matthews lust of the injury banner will keep me very, very distant from him.
Those About To Rock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Indibuck » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:02 am

There is a legit argument to be made for Mathews to be the 4th RB taken in all formats.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 173)

Postby Mr.Joshua » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:42 am

Indibuck wrote:There is a legit argument to be made for Mathews to be the 4th RB taken in all formats.

I concur....to really stir up the pot, I'll add that there is a legit argument to be made for McFadden to be the 5th :-D
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 226)

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:14 am

DMac is even more frustrating than Mathews: If you pick him he might get injured, if you don't pick him he could end up winning the title for someone else. These types of players are very frustrating.
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 30)

Postby gfriley » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:47 pm

thats an easy one. He has no competition now he is going to go crazy especially getting the goalline carries now
gfriley
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Indibuck » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:20 pm

Mr.Joshua wrote:
Indibuck wrote:There is a legit argument to be made for Mathews to be the 4th RB taken in all formats.

I concur....to really stir up the pot, I'll add that there is a legit argument to be made for McFadden to be the 5th :-D

Love the player, and I think OAK may just have a formidable offense in 2012. But there's too much risk in DMac for me to pick him in the first round. If I could get him at the top of the 2nd after picking up a solid option late 1st, I would jump all over it. But I don't think he lasts that long in most drafts, and therefore he won't be on too many of my rosters this year.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 173)

Postby techman5003 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:10 pm

Might as well add my 2 cents:
Norv Turner is an OUTSTANDING OC but a mediorce Head Coach. He is good for RB consistency but bad for QB-WR consistency. At least one drive during the game (usually more), he will give the ball to the RB on all but 1 or 2 plays on a scoring drive. My answer to LT only getting 12-15 points a game - don't rely on one player to win for you. If you can get 12-15 points a game out of half of your players and the occasional outstanding performance, you will be in the championship.

Matthews will do what he did last year with or without Turner. He will have good days and great days because he can catch as well as run the ball. SD will need someone to spell him or the FF owner will need a replacement. I don't think he can be a workhorse but can be 75 percenter.

And I am a Cowboys fan as well.
techman5003
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 167)

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:23 pm

I am not drinking the Ryan Mathews kool-aid at all. I don't trust him. And I definitely don't trust Norv Turner. McFadden on the other hand is my go-to-guy this year. If I am picking anywhere from 7-12 and McFadden is there, he will be on my team (just make sure you grab his back-up later in the draft). The guy has way to much potential to not be drafted along the likes of Rice, McCoy, and Foster. His main problem is that he just has to stay healthy.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby toof90 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Jason497 wrote:I'm confused by your post, so you are saying scoring consistancy is a bad thing? You'd rather have a guy with 6 monster games and 10 stinkers? You'd prefer him to be the Vincent Jackson of RBs? Most people prefer the opposite.

San Diego lost Mike Tolbert and added no one. I think the added workload and Goalline carries will be huge for Mathews. As long as he stays healthy he is a lock for a top 10 finish, right now I think his ADP is around 4th or 5th RB off the board and that seems about right for me. He averages 4.7 yards a rush and had 50 catches last year, he's one of the most explosive backs in the game.

Norv's always been a positive for RB production and has always favored a workhorse back, dating back to names like Emmitt Smith, Stephen Davis, Frank Gore, Ladainian Tomlinson, Ricky Williams and even Lamont Jordan had a top 10 season under him in Oakland.

Mathews will be given every chance to succeed from a front office that traded up to 12th in the 1st round to snag him, a year before the rookie wage scale went into effect.

It's impossible to predict injuries so I won't even try, I'll just go out on the limb that says his per game numbers will be elite

great post I completely agree. Especially with the bold
toof90
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions