Ryan Mathews - dud or stud? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Ryan Mathews - dud or stud?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ryan Mathews - dud or stud?

Postby Shark1225 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Yes, Ryan Mathews SHOULD be a stud this year but he should have been a stud 2 years ago then Sproles; and again last year then Tolbert. Idk who else SD has at RB but I am pretty sure it is more than just Mathews, not to mention they could add another big name as players get released during camp.
To me Mathews is a dud until he proves it for a season, heck I'll even take 4 games.
QB: BREES, Cutler
RB: TURNER, MCGAHEE, R. JENNINGS, Leshoure, D. Williams, Hillman, Hunter, Dwyer
WR: CRUZ, GARCON, Amendola, Edwards, D. Baldwin
TE: GRAHAM
Shark1225
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Shark1225 wrote:Yes, Ryan Mathews SHOULD be a stud this year but he should have been a stud 2 years ago then Sproles; and again last year then Tolbert. Idk who else SD has at RB but I am pretty sure it is more than just Mathews, not to mention they could add another big name as players get released during camp.
To me Mathews is a dud until he proves it for a season, heck I'll even take 4 games.

That's kinda the whole point. They don't have Sproles or Tolbert anymore. If you follow that situation they have been obvious in how much they want to give him the ball, that's not even a question. Ronnie Brown & Curtis Brinkley won't be stealing any carries.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Shark1225 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:55 pm

LS2throwed wrote:That's kinda the whole point. They don't have Sproles or Tolbert anymore. If you follow that situation they have been obvious in how much they want to give him the ball, that's not even a question. Ronnie Brown & Curtis Brinkley won't be stealing any carries.

Yes, that is the point. Yes, they want to give him the ball and have him succeed but it just doesn't happen for whatever reason. Watch Christie Brinkley go for 1500 total yards this year.
Shark1225
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby K0wned » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:04 am

I expect a huge season for Mathews. Still trying to decide between him and CJ2Lame as my #4 RB. I guess I'll have to wait and see who looks better in camp.
K0wned
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:08 am

Shark1225 wrote:Yes, that is the point. Yes, they want to give him the ball and have him succeed but it just doesn't happen for whatever reason. Watch Christie Brinkley go for 1500 total yards this year.

I'm still pretty sure you aren't understanding. It didn't happen because of Tolbert and Sproles. They are gone now. It's not like they ever said at any point during his first few years he would be the feature back like they are now. It's not really for "whatever reason", their was legit RB options in their backfield before. Tolbert and Sproles were big parts of the offense and always said to be. If you want to believe that a UDFA with 30 career carries is going to get 1500 yards while the guy who finished as a top 10 RB last season, which the Head Coach has already said he'll be a true workhorse then by all means. But your case is a much bigger longshot then the latter.

Did you notice what Mathews did last year?
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby dagnuk » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:20 pm

I expect Mathews to have the same numbers he put up last season, and no more.

This reminds me of guys that have burned me before, like Laurence Maroney. I would be thinking, "(RB Competition) is gone. He's clearly the workhorse, and the coaching staff even says so!" Soon, you'll be asking something along the lines of, "Why is Sammy Morris/Kevin Faulk getting so many touches?" In your case, this would be Curtis Brinkley and Ronnie Brown.

NFL head coaches are not to be trusted, and this is the SAME coach who has split the touches Since Mathews' first day.
dagnuk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby Shark1225 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:14 pm

dagnuk wrote:I expect Mathews to have the same numbers he put up last season, and no more.

This reminds me of guys that have burned me before, like Laurence Maroney. I would be thinking, "(RB Competition) is gone. He's clearly the workhorse, and the coaching staff even says so!" Soon, you'll be asking something along the lines of, "Why is Sammy Morris/Kevin Faulk getting so many touches?" In your case, this would be Curtis Brinkley and Ronnie Brown.

NFL head coaches are not to be trusted, and this is the SAME coach who has split the touches Since Mathews' first day.
Thank you! That was exactly what I was trying to say.

Mathews was decent last year and I predict he will put up decent numbers again but very disappointing numbers if you draft him 1.04, and that is where he will likely go because in any 12 team league there will be at least 4 guys who are thinking he'll put up Emmitt Smith or LT numbers.
Shark1225
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mr.Joshua » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:58 pm

He could end up putting together the top 5 season that his ADP suggests......such a tough call between him, CJ & DMC....thats my tier at least

---Although NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes Ryan Mathews can be "a top-five guy" based on his talent as a running back, Cosell suggested that Mathews still must show the "mindset" to become a true workhorse.
"I really like his skill set," said Cosell. "... In terms of running skill set, if I'm to look at the backs in the league, I think he could be a top-five guy. So the question is, can he do it for 16 games? Because one of the things about being one of those kinds of backs, where you truly are asked to carry 17, 18, 23, 24 times a game, depending on the game, there's a mental element to that, as well as a physical element. ... LaDainian Tomlinson just talked about this in an interview -- about getting hit hard on every play. There's a mindset that goes along with that. And I think we'll have to see. This will be the year we see if Ryan Mathews truly has that mentality."
Source: Cosell Talks Ryan Mathews
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:50 pm

I love the Maroney comparison. I remember when Maroney was supposed to b special and he did look like a BEAST his rookie year. In fact, now that I think about it Maroney popped off the screen more than any Mathews highlights I have seen! (I have not seen them all to b fair)

Throw in Norv The Jinx and I am thinking Mathews is starting to look overpriced i. E. not a sure thing/first rounder.
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 30)

Postby murphysxm » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:41 pm

JimiRayThunderaxe wrote:Throw in Norv The Jinx

I need some help with this comment. Norv has ALWAYS been fantasy RB friendly. Here is a pretty good article documenting it. Norv being his coach is a huge plus for me when it comes to projecting Matthews as a top 5 RB.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jun/06/mathews-would-be-turners-latest-workhorse/
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

PreviousNext

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions