Kolb vs Skelton - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kolb vs Skelton

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kolb vs Skelton

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 31, 2012 1:19 pm

Not sure how this will play out, seems like Kolb should have the edge but anything is possible:

Splitting time for the quarterbacks
Posted by Darren Urban on May 30, 2012 – 1:50 pm

Guess the quarterback: 16-for-25, 247 yards, one touchdown. Cards win in overtime.

It was Kevin Kolb, against Dallas, in the middle of the Cardinals’ rebound stretch last season. It easily could have been John Skelton.

This isn’t to point out Kolb was better last season, or to downplay what Skelton accomplished. It is to point out, however, that once the defense found its groove, the Cardinals were winning in similar fashion when Kolb was QB — like they did against the Cowboys — as when Skelton was QB and the team was finding ways to win close games late.

This isn’t intended to rile up the Skelton-versus-Kolb crowd. Actually, it’s the opposite. As noted a few places, Kevin Kolb took first team reps Wednesday. Skelton led the first team Tuesday. This is just getting started. Barring something unexpected, I’d think each will get a chance to start in the preseason. Each will get their chances, just like coach Ken Whisenhunt has said. Obviously, the Cards have invested a lot, money and otherwise, in Kolb. I don’t think that will insure him the job, although maybe it tips it to him with everything else being equal. Could it end up equal?

con't...

more: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2012/05/30/ ... rterbacks/

Not sure who to root for as I own both these guys in a dynasty league or two! :-?
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Kolb vs Skelton

Postby mikus » Thu May 31, 2012 3:44 pm

If I'm owning Fitzgerald this year, I'm praying that Skelton wins this job.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:12 pm

Interesting and quite detailed breakdown here:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... als-qb-job
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wood Chipper » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:26 am

Whichever one can help beat the 49ers lolol
Wooden Icicles PPR (Horse Traders Dynasty)
Wood Chipper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:12 pm

Who is the starting quarterback?

This question, at least in some form, will be asked more often than any other at camp, with the possible exception of if rain will force the team to move indoors for the afternoon practice. Coach Ken Whisenhunt has an answer prepared. In short it will be: "We'll see."

Choosing between Kevin Kolb (4) and John Skelton (19) won't be a quick process, and Whisenhunt isn't going to provide a daily depth-chart update. He is prepared for it to play out for much of training camp and five preseason games. Even the winner shouldn't celebrate. Neither Skelton nor Kolb has enough equity to keep the starting job if he plays poorly in the first month of the regular season.

~Kent Somers/The Arizona Republic

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardina ... z21ewAO9UW
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:19 pm

Can Kolb stay healthy???

Perspective on Kevin Kolb's latest injury
August, 6, 2012
By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

CANTON, Ohio -- The protection for quarterback Kevin Kolb was much better following the Arizona Cardinals' exhibition opener than during it Sunday night.

What it all means for the team's ongoing quarterback race hinges on how well Kolb responds to the chest injury he suffered only four dropbacks into a 17-10 defeat to the New Orleans Saints in the Hall of Fame Game at Fawcett Stadium.

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt stood up for Kolb while downplaying backup John Skelton's efforts.

"I think it's a little bit unfair to Kevin because we weren't doing as good a job up front early in the game," Whisenhunt said. "Then we settled down and played a little bit better. But he'll get his opportunities when we go forward. That's why you don't, it's careful to make judgments on that first experience."

There's no sense in a head coach amplifying the negative with four preseason games left to play. But at some point soon, Kolb will need to stay on the field and produce. Toe, head and chest injuries have knocked him from games with Arizona. A thigh injury suffered in practice last week turned out to be a non-factor.

Whisenhunt described the latest injury, initially announced as a rib contusion, as a bruised chest muscle. He suggested Kolb might not miss much time

con't...

more: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... est-injury
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:41 pm

Quarterback Kevin Kolb moved gingerly in Tuesday's two practices, but Whisenhunt is confident Kolb will be able to play Friday.

"I expect him to play," Whisenhunt said.

Kolb is still sore from the bruised rib and diaphragm he suffered against the Saints. He threw passes in the morning practice and took part in individual drills in the afternoon. He did not participate in team sessions against the Chiefs.

"I was able to toss it a little bit," Kolb said. "I'll keep trying to push and giving it the best effort I can. We'll just see what I'm capable of."

John Skelton will start at quarterback against the Chiefs, which was the plan all along. He and Kolb have alternated at the starting position daily in camp and will alternate starts in games, too.

by Kent Somers - Aug. 7, 2012 10:30 PM

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardina ... hiefs.html

and: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=8244741
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Cardinals sixth-round QB Ryan Lindley is not considered a threat to Kevin Kolb or John Skelton for the team's starting job.
Lindley has been the best of the trio so far this preseason, but he's facing third-team defenses. "For a young guy he's probably ahead of where you would expect a young guy to be," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said Monday. "But by no means does that mean he's ready to play at this level; he still needs some work." It wouldn't be a shocker if Lindley saw a start or two late in the season.
Source: ArizonaSports.com
Aug 13 - 10:24 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl ... layer-news
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:01 pm

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, John Skelton is "now considered the favorite" to win Arizona's starting job.
Schefter's report comes via "people within the organization." Kevin Kolb is starting against the Raiders on Friday as part of a planned rotation, but has been abysmal through two preseason games, routinely abandoning the pocket while completing just 2-of-9 throws for 25 yards and an interception. That comes out to a 0.0 QB rating. Skelton has been only marginally better, completing 7-of-12 attempts for 67 yards and a pick, but has displayed far better pocket presence. The job is Skelton's to lose.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Aug 14 - 9:57 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/ ... -locked-up
stomperrob

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Not sure if I remember correctly, but didn't Fitz have better numbers with Skelton throwing him the ball? This only helps his value, I think.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Next

Return to Football Talk