Kolb vs Skelton - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kolb vs Skelton

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Kolb vs Skelton

Postby joejlitz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:48 am

As an Eagles fan, Kolb was definitely a "product of the system." He looked sharp under Andy Reid because Reid and staff know how to take a decent/good QB and make him look better than he really is (See Donovan McNabb, A.J. Feely, and Ty/Koy Detmer). Outside of Reid's tutelage, they all stunk. Even Vick is a much-improved passer than he ever was in ATL.

Given this and the fact that Kolb has not played well so far in the preseason, I believe the Cards will roll with Skelton (rotoworld hints at this as well) or look to pick up an old retread from somewhere.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:37 pm

joejlitz wrote:As an Eagles fan, Kolb was definitely a "product of the system." He looked sharp under Andy Reid because Reid and staff know how to take a decent/good QB and make him look better than he really is (See Donovan McNabb, A.J. Feely, and Ty/Koy Detmer). Outside of Reid's tutelage, they all stunk. Even Vick is a much-improved passer than he ever was in ATL.

Given this and the fact that Kolb has not played well so far in the preseason, I believe the Cards will roll with Skelton (rotoworld hints at this as well) or look to pick up an old retread from somewhere.

Yeah, it does look like Skelton will be the #1, and they will keep grooming Lindley in case Skelton's ceiling is a little low.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:44 pm

It appears the buzzards have started circling the carcass:

The Arizona Cardinals' Kevin Kolb signing is turning into a great organizational failure
by Dan Bickley - Aug. 21, 2012 06:22 PM
azcentral sports columnist

The locker room knows. The only choice is John Skelton. The other guy represents complete organizational failure.

This isn't about Kevin Kolb's courage or his contract, even though both are under scrutiny. This is about how he looked on Friday against the Raiders, which was no different from how he looked when he joined the Cardinals.

Some $20 million later, and he's still confused, still uncomfortable.

That's just bizarre.

"I see the same thing I saw last year," former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner said. "I see a guy who hasn't been able to grasp the system enough to slow the game down, or he doesn't have confidence in what he's seeing. Maybe he understands what the offense is asking him to do, but the game is going too fast, and he's not pulling the trigger."

The wild diversity of opinion after Kolb's latest outing is more than a bit unsettling. Head coach Ken Whisenhunt stressed the positive, emphasizing how well Kolb started the game. Sorry, it's a little late for baby steps.

con't...

more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardina ... ilure.html
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:39 am

Lessons learned from Thursday night's games
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor
Published: Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:17 a.m.
Updated: Aug. 24, 2012 at 01:33 a.m.

Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm arrived in Arizona with the promise that they would solve the Arizona Cardinals' offensive line. Five years later, it might be the worst group in football.

John Skelton and Kevin Kolb took turns being sacked and throwing awful interceptions Thursday night against the Tennessee Titans. Kolb threw two ugly picks to "only" one for Skelton, but Kolb also made many more positive plays. There are no winners in this quarterback battle. The quarterbacks are hard to evaluate when they get no protection.

We'd guess that Skelton will be the choice, but does it even matter? The way that the Cardinals' offensive tackles are playing, whoever starts the season at quarterback in Arizona probably won't stay healthy for long.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ghts-games

I feel rather prescient now for having grabbed Ryan Lindley at 29.01 in my dynasty draft a couple days ago! :-b
stomperrob

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:06 pm

I know he is a great guy, but you have to wonder how much longer before Fitz demands to be traded. The QBs I watched last night looked like back-ups on a second tier college team. Sure the Oline has much to do with the panic driven thought process of both guys, but they have to make better decisions. Huge downgrade for all Cards here.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Kevin Kolb has slightly outplayed John Skelton during practices.
It's not a surprise as Skelton is known as a player that performs better in games. The problem is that coach Ken Whisenhunt still hasn't made a decision and neither quarterback will play in the preseason finale. Kolb may be the underdog, but he's still got a shot to be under center come Week 1.
Related: John Skelton
Source: Arizona Republic
Aug 29 - 10:50 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl ... -news?rw=1

The Cardinals will start sixth-round pick Ryan Lindley at quarterback in this week's preseason finale.
Coach Ken Whisenhunt emphasized Lindley is not a candidate to start this regular season. We wouldn't suspect he was, either. While Lindley has reportedly shown well in practices, he's 34-of-66 (51.5 percent) for 362 yards (5.5 YPA), no touchdowns, and two interceptions against second- and third-stringers through three preseason games. He's certainly not ready to face starters. Aug 27 - 4:50 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7428/ryan-lindley

Gonna be interesting to see how Lindley looks this week.
stomperrob

Postby Deebs » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:53 pm

taken from ProFootballMock (satire, OBVIOUSLY):

Coaches and general managers throughout the NFL took time out from their training camp schedules Monday to snicker quietly to themselves while realizing that the Arizona Cardinals are actually choosing between the likes of Kevin Kolb and John Skelton as their 2012 starting quarterback.

“Kolb and Skelton, huh?” asked Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones, smirking ever so slightly. “That’s nice, I guess. Boy, sometimes I forget how lucky we are to have Tony Romo and Kyle Orton. Two hundred and twenty-nine career passing TD’s between them. Feels good, man.”

The Cardinals have been looking for consistency at the quarterback position since Kurt Warner retired. Kolb, acquired in a 2011 trade with the Eagles, has failed to deliver, and Skelton, a fifth round selection in the 2010 draft, hasn’t fared much better.

“Man, that does sound like a dilemma,” said a smiling Lions head coach Jim Schwartz, whose team boasts quality quarterbacks in Matthew Stafford and Shaun Hill. “I can relate because I have two quarterbacks that both deserve to be starters. Of course, my guys have a combined lifetime QB rating of better than 100.0, so I suppose it’s not really fair to compare our situations,” he said before suppressing a giggle.

Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt says he will wait to make a final decision, “until one of them does something to distinguish themselves. Anything. A touchdown, a first down, Christ, just not getting picked off would be an accomplishment at this point. First guy to go without a pick gets the job, how’s that?”

NY Jets coach Rex Ryan expressed empathy, claiming, “Yeah, I know that feeling. I’ve been pretty down myself these past few weeks. Trust me with Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow, it’s not exactly easy chosing who’ll be the lesser of two… wait, who do they have? Kolb and Skeleton? Huh. Okay, you know what? I feel a lot better now. Thanks.”

(When asked to comment for this story, Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald simply sighed, and walked away slowly.)
Deebs
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:43 pm

Still gotta like Ryan Lindley's dynasty value in this mess

John Skelton named Arizona Cardinals' starting QB
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor
Published: Aug. 31, 2012 at 04:46 p.m.
Updated: Aug. 31, 2012 at 05:45 p.m.

Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt finally, mercifully has ended his never-ending quarterback competition. He officially announced that John Skelton is the pick during a Friday afternoon news conference.

"We feel like the quarterback that gives us the best chance to win is John Skelton," Whisenhunt said.

No one really won the battle of John Skelton versus Kevin Kolb. Not the Cardinals organization, not Larry Fitzgerald and certainly not the team's fan base.

Skelton will start the Cardinals' season opener against the Seattle Seahawks. Whisenhunt said that he could be replaced just like any other starter if he doesn't perform. (Translation: Eventually, Skelton will be replaced.)

"There's no guarantee going forward that Kevin won't be playing for us or won't be the starter," Whisenhunt said.

The third-year pro out of Fordham was viewed as the favorite in recent weeks because he outplayed Kolb in the preseason. (Barely.) Then again, there was a report that Skelton's struggles in practice made the decision more difficult for Whisenhunt.

con't...

more: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... tarting-qb
stomperrob

Postby moochman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:31 pm

This should be the playbook for the Cards this season.
1)Hand the ball to your RB, run to any hint of daylight
2)Throw as soon as you can, as far as you can. Fitzgerald run fast and deep, find ball, catch ball.
3)Repeat play #2.

Owner playbook:
1) give coaching staff and FO vote of confidence.
2) search for replacements
3) replace coaching staff and FO

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Coach Ken Whisenhunt revealed at his Monday presser that John Skelton has avoided a high ankle sprain and has a "low" sprain of his right ankle.
Whisenhunt stopped short of guessing how much time Skelton will miss, but the Cardinals sound optimistic he'll only be out a game or two after fearing much worse Sunday night. Kevin Kolb will still get an opportunity to run with the starting job after helping Arizona to a 1-0 record by playing efficiently off the bench against the Seahawks. If Kolb falters, of course, Skelton could be back in the starting saddle in a matter of weeks.
Related: Kevin Kolb
Source: Darren Urban on Twitter
Sep 10 - 2:05 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl ... layer-news
stomperrob

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk