Who is the best QB of all time? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Who is the best QB of all time?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the best QB of all time?

Postby Daniel Josh » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:01 am

Who is the greatest Quarterback of all time? Here's my top 10 List:
10. Joe Namath- The greatest Jet of all time. Brought a championship to the forgotten New York team.

9. Drew Breese- After sucess in San Diego and an injury thought to put him away for good, Drew fought threw it and broke Dan Marino's single season passing record and brought a whole city together after the tragic Hurricane Katrina.

8.Dan Fouts- Lead my Chargers to the most success they've ever had.

7. Joe Montana- I know I'm gonna take heat for him not being #1, but no one realises the main reason for his success was Bill Walsh's Wes Coast offense. He had 4 QB's before him that were nobody's and made them good. Joe definitely had the most success, but anybody could have been good in Bill's offense.
Nobody can deny the rings, but I just can't give him all the credit. He still had to go out there and perform but Bill was the main reason for his success.

6. Troy Aikman- He was apart of the Greatest Show On Turf and was probaly the best of them. Micheal Irving and Emmit Smith were awesome, but Troy was Legendary.

5. Steve Young- Had two amazing wide outs (Terrell Owens and Jerry Rice)

4. Tom Brady- Led the Patriot's to 3 Super Bowl's(I think) and created a dynasty that's been running for years.

3.John Elway- Awesome QB who could run and chuck the ball and tough as hell. Had awesome running back TD and lead the Bronco's to their most success. Although, Peyton looks like he could easily do better.

2. Joe Montana- I know I'm gonna take heat for him not being #1, but no one realises the main reason for his success was Bill Walsh's West Coast offense. He had 4 QB's before him that were nobody's and made them good. Joe definitely had the most success, but anybody could have been good in Bill's offense. Nobody can deny the rings, but I just can't give him all the credit. He still had to go out there and perform but Bill was the main reason for his success.

1. Peyton Manning- Was his team for Years. He was the coach and the whole offense. They had people coming in from the practice Squad play and he still made them good. Anybody who even tries to compare him to his brother is just out of their mind. Also has a awesome personality and is funny as hell. Won't let me post a URL for some reason, but go to YouTube and look up Peyton Manning SNL.

Just my opinions, I have mine and I have yours.
Daniel Josh
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is the best QB of all time?

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:27 am

Check out this thread for lots of interesting responses:
viewtopic.php?t=59076&hilit=Joe+Montana
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby bungle613 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:42 am

Warren Moon
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokfunatu » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Joe Montana, used to be a Cowboys fan (not so much anymore) hated the guy. Give him his props he was the best.
pokfunatu
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:41 pm

No Marino in top ten?????
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby m16a » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:16 am

Gotta think that Peyton, Brady, and Brees has started making cases for themselves to be talked about in the same sentences, at least the Top 20, MAYBE top 15 or more with the careers they've had. I think Brady and Peyton are clearly higher, but Brees just broke a Unitas record. QBs don't get to say that very often.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:26 pm

m16a wrote:Gotta think that Peyton, Brady, and Brees has started making cases for themselves to be talked about in the same sentences, at least the Top 20, MAYBE top 15 or more with the careers they've had. I think Brady and Peyton are clearly higher, but Brees just broke a Unitas record. QBs don't get to say that very often.

I'd say Manning >>> Brady >>>>> Brees. I would probably rank Manning at #2 or #3 (maybe even 1), I have a really hard time choosing between Unitas/Manning/Marino. These are the 4 guys who IMO, have changed the game at QB in the past 40 years. Unitas started the 2-minute drill/no-huddle offense, Marino brought in pass-happy offense and run-and-shoot style of play. Manning revolutionized the no-huddle to be an offense that could be run for entire games and seasons.

I don't see Brady as a game-changer (incredible QB but not a game-changer), so I have him somewhere near the bottom of the top 10.

I think Brees is somewhere in the 20-25 range. A great QB (and prob deserves hall-of-fame, infact i'd say he deserves HOF status), but he's in the third tier of QBs IMO.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:56 pm

First I would say that we probably undervalue the dinosaurs who ruled the league before most of us were hiked. Otto Graham, Sid Luckman, Y A Tittle(?, pretty sure that's his name).
That said, after thinking about QBs impact on the game I can't think of a QB who did more to change the game than a guy who brought football into the living rooms of most of America. His charisma and marketing savy far outweighed his statistical footprint. Joe Namath was more impactful on the game that any other athlete who ever played. He is the greatest QB of all time.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:27 pm

moochman wrote:First I would say that we probably undervalue the dinosaurs who ruled the league before most of us were hiked. Otto Graham, Sid Luckman, Y A Tittle(?, pretty sure that's his name).
That said, after thinking about QBs impact on the game I can't think of a QB who did more to change the game than a guy who brought football into the living rooms of most of America. His charisma and marketing savy far outweighed his statistical footprint. Joe Namath was more impactful on the game that any other athlete who ever played. He is the greatest QB of all time.

Unitas was unquestionably the best for a long time, and before him I'd say you had Otto Graham and Sammy Baugh. These are guys that changed the history of the game, they opened up the skies back in the day. Besides the rules being different and favoring the run game, they only played 11/14 games each season. Regardless, their names need to be mentioned in any discussion about the all-time best QB.

Here's and interesting way to look at it also - The Pro-football reference site has an "Elo rater" (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/about/elo.htm for an explanation); the fans currently have the highest rated QB's as Y. A Tittle, Marino, Unitas, Bradshaw, Montana, Kelly, Tarkenton, Dawson, Jurgensen, Namath.

I'm not sold that that is the best way to determine the all-time best QB, but it does carry some weight in the discussion...
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 415)

Postby moochman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:48 pm

Gibbs Baby!!! wrote:
moochman wrote:First I would say that we probably undervalue the dinosaurs who ruled the league before most of us were hiked. Otto Graham, Sid Luckman, Y A Tittle(?, pretty sure that's his name).

Unitas was unquestionably the best for a long time, and before him I'd say you had Otto Graham and Sammy Baugh. These are guys that changed the history of the game, they opened up the skies back in the day. Besides the rules being different and favoring the run game, they only played 11/14 games each season. Regardless, their names need to be mentioned in any discussion about the all-time best QB.

Here's and interesting way to look at it also - The Pro-football reference site has an "Elo rater" (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/about/elo.htm for an explanation); the fans currently have the highest rated QB's as Y. A Tittle, Marino, Unitas, Bradshaw, Montana, Kelly, Tarkenton, Dawson, Jurgensen, Namath.

I'm not sold that that is the best way to determine the all-time best QB, but it does carry some weight in the discussion...

Pretty interesting. Marino rated that highly surprised me, always figured not winning it all knocked him down most lists. Must not be weighted as heavily on the Elo-rater. Tarkenton never won a title either, right? Kind of cool to see a rating system that can blend the greats of today with the legends of yester-year.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Return to General Talk