First Dynasty League Looking for Advice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

First Dynasty League Looking for Advice

Moderator: Football Moderators

First Dynasty League Looking for Advice

Postby smythep » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:52 pm

I am doing a dynasty league for the first time. This is my fifth year of fantasy, but I mostly did redraft leagues, so I'm new to dynasty leagues. The league I'm joining is a new 12-team ppr, non-idp league, victory scoring league.

I'm just looking for some advice when it comes to drafting and general dynasty rules. When drafting how much should I focus on drafting for the future and how much should I focus on this season?

I'm just looking for any tips really. Thanks in advance.
smythep
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: First Dynasty League Looking for Advice

Postby Shark1225 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:13 pm

First draft your starters and then one or two bench guys and then load up on rookie RB's, even if the seem to have no shot. Better to have a rookie RB who is one injury away from paydirt than a teams third WR who gets 50 yards a game and looks good on your bench but you would never want to start.

Also depends a lot on your leagues keeper rules! Our league it costs you a draft pick one round below where he was drafted the previous year so it doesn't do much good to go too low for a guy who might pan out because you are only have to pay even more the next year. Arian Foster was drafted in the first round his rookie year, sure he was worth it but when he could have been drafted in round 2 and been kept for a year, it was too high (he was drafted 12 in a 12 team league so the same owner drafted 13 also). But all leagues have different rules as to keepers, KNOW THEM! and use that to your advantage.
QB: BREES, Cutler
RB: TURNER, MCGAHEE, R. JENNINGS, Leshoure, D. Williams, Hillman, Hunter, Dwyer
WR: CRUZ, GARCON, Amendola, Edwards, D. Baldwin
TE: GRAHAM
Shark1225
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 20)

Postby smythep » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Shark1225 wrote:First draft your starters and then one or two bench guys and then load up on rookie RB's, even if the seem to have no shot. Better to have a rookie RB who is one injury away from paydirt than a teams third WR who gets 50 yards a game and looks good on your bench but you would never want to start.

Also depends a lot on your leagues keeper rules! Our league it costs you a draft pick one round below where he was drafted the previous year so it doesn't do much good to go too low for a guy who might pan out because you are only have to pay even more the next year. Arian Foster was drafted in the first round his rookie year, sure he was worth it but when he could have been drafted in round 2 and been kept for a year, it was too high (he was drafted 12 in a 12 team league so the same owner drafted 13 also). But all leagues have different rules as to keepers, KNOW THEM! and use that to your advantage.

It's a dynasty so we keep our entire roster and then have a rookie draft each year.
smythep
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby 11stever11 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:34 pm

When I played dynasty for the first time I found it helpful to look at some start up drafts to see where players values are. Its important to make a special mix of younger talent and older talent. In startups people go youth early and often so there is usually some good value with the older players like Wayne in the middle rounds. ;-D
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 46)

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:13 pm

I'll just throw out some random tidbits that are helpful in no particuliar order:

- There really isn't much difference in terms of redraft, because the objective is still win now. But obviously if you can get a young care to produce for you that you don't have to replace in a year or 2 that's ideal. Finding the right balance between young and old players as well as picks/looking to the future. It's usually not a good idea to trade away all your future picks too soon, nor is it a good idea to have a team full of young players that aren't ready to produce enough to win you games.

- When you are drafting your start up keep in mind how long a guy will be useful to you and keep that in mind as you build your team. If you draft Michael Turner and Steven Jackson you don't have a long time before having to replace your RB's, so keep that in mind. You may have some guys who are valuable starters in terms of redraft for 2011 but not the year after, at which point your handcuffing yourself to try and replace guys in the rookie draft.

- Value is constant. It always changes. Some guys don't have long careers, some get injuried, hold-out, get arrested, there are a ton of aspects to keep in mind for a dynasty and you have to constantly keep an eye on it to see if you want to unload a guy or hold onto him. It's fun to draft rookies and develop them through their career, but some times it doesn't always go picture perfect and you'll be left trying to fill that production with an unknown rookie.

Really in a nut shell it'll take you getting your feet wet to get accustomed to the changes of year round, but if you draft a starting line-up you feel confident in for a few years you'll be fine and you can make adjustments from there. You need a good balance of both initially, then from where your team is you can shift that method. If you start off in the tanker, well you may want to sell off older players in a few years for picks and trade for young high upside guys, knowing in the mean time those high rookie picks that end up being guys like AJ Green and Trent Richardson can help you out. Or if you start off a contender you can be the guy who this year would be trading for Carolina Steve Smith in the hopes that he won't cost too much but can provide you with a big time WR for a short term fix.

As I mentioned before, I wouldn't want to go into a dynasty and my two RB's were Steven Jackson & Michael Turner, but on the flip side I wouldn't want Ryan Williams & David Wilson either. If you do go old at a position, try and target a young upside guy later or the handcuff so the transition isn't a big deal.

Guys who you can slot in at a position for multiple years at a high level are worth the most. If you end up with AJ Green, Lesean McCoy, & Rob Gronkowski early, your looking at a prime scenario where you don't really need to replace that RB1, WR1, or TE1 for a long time barring something unforeseen. Those guys are worth more then say Steven Jackson, Andre Johnson, & Antonio Gates. While that difference in a re-draft is non-existant, in a dynasty your relying on those older players this year to win, but when they fall completely off due to age or injury, your back to trying to replace that talent with a similiar level of production in the rookie draft which you'll learn is a huge crap shoot and hard to do.

So while the other owner is drafting to stock pile talent and depth, your drafting to try and replace elite starters, and if you don't end up with that in return your not going to be as strong of a team. Now that's just an example, because your not going to be able to draft a team full of those guys but it's just something to keep in mind.

View 1st round picks, whether future or current, as the chance to land elite players to your team and true difference makers. Early 2nd rounders fit into this criteria also. 2nd-5th round picks are all fliers that are fun to take, but these are guys you typically want to develop and stash. You ideally don't take these guys to thrust them into the starting line-up, and more often then not don't pan out, but you have to take the risk to get the studs. You'll have to draft crap like Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, and James Hardy to end up with 1 Plaxico Burress.

I say that to keep a general idea of the value of the picks when making deals. 1st round picks end up bust quite a bit too, so never trade for 1 or draft 1 thinking it's a sure thing. Even with early 1st rounders, you might get Knowshon Moreno & Donald Brown, or you might get Lesean McCoy & Ray Rice.

Last piece of advice that I think is the most beneficial, take advantage of the cafe here and go look and former dynasty drafts that took place here. I have a list of them in my sig and I know there are multiple others. Get a sense for how many 1st round picks ended up being worthwhile from the last 3-4 years, do the same for 2nd and 3rd rounders, this way you can fully understand how hard it is to find the diamonds in the rough. Take a look at start up drafts, see what teams started off bad and what went wrong, what teams started off well and what it was due to. Research is your best friend, you want to try and equip yourself with as much knowledge as you can going in before you put yourself into a too big of a hole.

I will say it's definately taken over redrafts for me and the fun of being year round is well worth it. Good luck with the draft ;-D
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Indibuck » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:47 pm

LS2throwed wrote:I'll just throw out some random tidbits that are helpful in no particuliar order:

- There really isn't much difference in terms of redraft, because the objective is still win now. But obviously if you can get a young care to produce for you that you don't have to replace in a year or 2 that's ideal. Finding the right balance between young and old players as well as picks/looking to the future. It's usually not a good idea to trade away all your future picks too soon, nor is it a good idea to have a team full of young players that aren't ready to produce enough to win you games.

- When you are drafting your start up keep in mind how long a guy will be useful to you and keep that in mind as you build your team. If you draft Michael Turner and Steven Jackson you don't have a long time before having to replace your RB's, so keep that in mind. You may have some guys who are valuable starters in terms of redraft for 2011 but not the year after, at which point your handcuffing yourself to try and replace guys in the rookie draft.

- Value is constant. It always changes. Some guys don't have long careers, some get injuried, hold-out, get arrested, there are a ton of aspects to keep in mind for a dynasty and you have to constantly keep an eye on it to see if you want to unload a guy or hold onto him. It's fun to draft rookies and develop them through their career, but some times it doesn't always go picture perfect and you'll be left trying to fill that production with an unknown rookie.

Really in a nut shell it'll take you getting your feet wet to get accustomed to the changes of year round, but if you draft a starting line-up you feel confident in for a few years you'll be fine and you can make adjustments from there. You need a good balance of both initially, then from where your team is you can shift that method. If you start off in the tanker, well you may want to sell off older players in a few years for picks and trade for young high upside guys, knowing in the mean time those high rookie picks that end up being guys like AJ Green and Trent Richardson can help you out. Or if you start off a contender you can be the guy who this year would be trading for Carolina Steve Smith in the hopes that he won't cost too much but can provide you with a big time WR for a short term fix.

As I mentioned before, I wouldn't want to go into a dynasty and my two RB's were Steven Jackson & Michael Turner, but on the flip side I wouldn't want Ryan Williams & David Wilson either. If you do go old at a position, try and target a young upside guy later or the handcuff so the transition isn't a big deal.

Guys who you can slot in at a position for multiple years at a high level are worth the most. If you end up with AJ Green, Lesean McCoy, & Rob Gronkowski early, your looking at a prime scenario where you don't really need to replace that RB1, WR1, or TE1 for a long time barring something unforeseen. Those guys are worth more then say Steven Jackson, Andre Johnson, & Antonio Gates. While that difference in a re-draft is non-existant, in a dynasty your relying on those older players this year to win, but when they fall completely off due to age or injury, your back to trying to replace that talent with a similiar level of production in the rookie draft which you'll learn is a huge crap shoot and hard to do.

So while the other owner is drafting to stock pile talent and depth, your drafting to try and replace elite starters, and if you don't end up with that in return your not going to be as strong of a team. Now that's just an example, because your not going to be able to draft a team full of those guys but it's just something to keep in mind.

View 1st round picks, whether future or current, as the chance to land elite players to your team and true difference makers. Early 2nd rounders fit into this criteria also. 2nd-5th round picks are all fliers that are fun to take, but these are guys you typically want to develop and stash. You ideally don't take these guys to thrust them into the starting line-up, and more often then not don't pan out, but you have to take the risk to get the studs. You'll have to draft crap like Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, and James Hardy to end up with 1 Plaxico Burress.

I say that to keep a general idea of the value of the picks when making deals. 1st round picks end up bust quite a bit too, so never trade for 1 or draft 1 thinking it's a sure thing. Even with early 1st rounders, you might get Knowshon Moreno & Donald Brown, or you might get Lesean McCoy & Ray Rice.

Last piece of advice that I think is the most beneficial, take advantage of the cafe here and go look and former dynasty drafts that took place here. I have a list of them in my sig and I know there are multiple others. Get a sense for how many 1st round picks ended up being worthwhile from the last 3-4 years, do the same for 2nd and 3rd rounders, this way you can fully understand how hard it is to find the diamonds in the rough. Take a look at start up drafts, see what teams started off bad and what went wrong, what teams started off well and what it was due to. Research is your best friend, you want to try and equip yourself with as much knowledge as you can going in before you put yourself into a too big of a hole.

I will say it's definately taken over redrafts for me and the fun of being year round is well worth it. Good luck with the draft ;-D

Great post. ;-D ;-D ;-D

I think you should do this as an article.

My dynasty thoughts really just kind of reiterate many of the points made above. I rank players in tiers, just like redraft. But my evaluations are different, in that I value TALENT over opportunity, then youthfulness of player. Things change very very quickly in he NFL; most times, the cream will rise to the top eventually. I will not pass on a talented older player (within reason) to draft a younger player with less talent.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions