Martellus Bennett - Update: signs with Bears - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Martellus Bennett - Update: signs with Bears

Moderator: Football Moderators

Martellus Bennett - Update: signs with Bears

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:02 pm

...at 291 pounds, there's no other way to describe him - great way to impress your new teammates!

Pope: Bennett's weight up to 291
June, 1, 2012

The Giants are excited about what their tight ends guru Mike Pope will be able to do with Martellus Bennett and Adrien Robinson.

But Pope has not been able to get his hands on Bennett and Robinson as much as he would like to.

Bennett has been sidelined by a hamstring injury. Pope said part of the problem has been Bennett’s increase in weight to 291 pounds. Bennett is listed at 6-foot-6, 265 pounds.

“Other than the hamstring injury, he is making progress,” Pope said of Bennett, who is also making the transition to a new team and offense. “He catches on. He weighed in at 291 pounds last week. So I think that is probably a little too big for his legs to carry. We run a lot more than he might have been accustomed to.”

“Plus we are in the middle of a weight program and the combination of those two things has caused him, especially, to have some problems with his hamstrings,” Pope added. “He can’t afford to miss time, either. Because he needs every possible rep he can take.”

more: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants ... -up-to-291
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Martellus Bennett is really a giant!!!

Postby bagobonez » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:42 am

As a Cowboys fan I can tell you two things about Bennett. 1, he's a really strong blocker. 2, he's overrated as a receiver despite his athleticism. If he's already at 291 pounds might as well convert him to tackle and let him do what he excels at full time.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:15 am

Yeah, he def seems to be eating his way out of a job as a receiver, gonna just be used to block at this rate - this would seem to raise rookie Adrien Robinson's stock.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Appears he's shed some pounds:

Giants' Martellus Bennett has 'ill feelings' toward Cowboys and rest of NFL, too
Published: Thursday, July 26, 2012, 12:33 PM Updated: Thursday, July 26, 2012, 5:33 PM
Jorge Castillo/The Star-Ledger By Jorge Castillo/The Star-Ledger

ALBANY, N.Y. – Martellus Bennett reported to training camp this morning leaner than last month, when he maxed out at 296 pounds. He reported to his new squad happier than he was during his four years in Dallas, he said. And he reported angrier, too, at his former team and anybody who won't be wearing a Giants uniform in 2012.

"I just want to kick those guys' (butts). That's what it's all about," the tight end said of the Cowboys. "We're cool, but we ain't that cool. I kind of got some ill feelings towards them overall…I kind of hate everybody, honestly, in the NFL.

"I got everybody's date marked on my calendar, honestly. I'm kind of (ticked) off about a whole lot so I think it'll be a good year for me."

After four years serving as an apprentice to All-Pro Jason Witten, Bennett feels he finally has the opportunity to showcase his talents. He acknowledged that learning from Witten was a positive experience, but it was time to move on, time to make a name for himself as a former second-round pick.

Bennett will have the chance to do that with the Giants this season. Jake Ballard's serious knee injury and later departure to the New England Patriots left a void at tight end for the Giants that a platoon of Bennett and Bear Pascoe is projected to fill.

con't...

more: http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012 ... has_i.html
stomperrob

Postby bagobonez » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:58 am

Bennett's mad that the Cowboys didn't force feed him the ball. He's an immature, arrogant and entitled. As if they should just forget Witten and force the ball to a player who has been coasting his whole career. What a joke. Glad the Giants got him. My only regret is that Dallas didn't trade him to the Bengals for a 1st round pick when they had the chance.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:39 pm

...and now he's a Bear:

Bears agreed to terms with TE Martellus Bennett on a four-year contract.
The Bears had interest in Jared Cook, but he appears to have priced himself out of their range. Bennett is younger, a way better blocker, and also creates mismatches in the pass game. He also figures to be cheaper. The Bears haven't upgraded their line yet, but became a better blocking team with the Bennett deal. Bennett could be a low-end TE1 in Chicago if Marc Trestman opens up the offense and teaches Jay Cutler how to come off first-read Brandon Marshall. Mar 12 - 4:16 PM
Source: Mike Wright on Twitter

Bears TEs coach Andy Bischoff promises to line up new $21 million tight end Martellus Bennett all over the field in order to create mismatches.
"The days of the tight end that blocked and ran flat routes in this league are coming to an end," he said. "The guys that just run 3-yard flat routes, that's not going to do anything for you." Bischoff believes Bennett can "threaten the defense" and "create stress in the middle of the field." Bennett is a good enough pass catcher to be Chicago's No. 2 receiver behind Brandon Marshall. Mar 13 - 3:23 AM
Source: ESPN.com

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/463 ... us-bennett
stomperrob

Re: Martellus Bennett - Update: signs with Bears

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:10 am

The Bears receiving core is all of a sudden looking pretty decent. Don't forget that Alshon Jeffrey should improve quite a bit too; he was injured for a good portion of last season.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Martellus Bennett - Update: signs with Bears

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:52 am

I think he will play a role like Olsen did and be about the same as last year. Like Bago says his blocking is his strength not his catching ability
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Return to Football Talk