Two single-keeper league questions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Two single-keeper league questions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Two single-keeper league questions

Postby bagofwhiskey » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:22 am

In my league each team has a choice of keeping one player at the expense of the round he was drafted in. FA's are last round. As far as draft order this year I'm 2nd to pick, and due to trades I have two 3rd round picks and two 5th round picks.

My first question is who should I aim for with the number 2 pick? Aaron Rodgers is off the board as someone's keeper, but no one is keeping any other top prospects. Our league favors having a great QB, so it would be nice to grab Brady (or Brees, but Brady seems to be the safer bet.) Arian Foster is still tempting though...

My second question is, my second 5th round pick was acquired by trading Demarco Murray away last season (before we established a keeper league--we did it near the very end of the season, I was opposed of course. I could keep my two 5th rounders, or the guy I traded him to has offered to reverse the trade, giving me Murray (at the expense of my last round pick he could be my keeper) and he wants his 5th round pick back. So essentially I'd be giving up a 5th and last round pick. But here's another thing. He's the number 1 overall pick. That means at the end of round 4 and beginning of round 5, I would have 3 of 4 picks--the second-to-last pick of the 4th round, and the first two picks of the 5th round. Tempting. Or should I trade the first pick of the 5th round back and keep Murray? I'm torn.

I have no other players worthy of keeping.
bagofwhiskey
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Two single-keeper league questions

Postby Indibuck » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:42 am

bagofwhiskey wrote:In my league each team has a choice of keeping one player at the expense of the round he was drafted in. FA's are last round. As far as draft order this year I'm 2nd to pick, and due to trades I have two 3rd round picks and two 5th round picks.

My first question is who should I aim for with the number 2 pick? Aaron Rodgers is off the board as someone's keeper, but no one is keeping any other top prospects. Our league favors having a great QB, so it would be nice to grab Brady (or Brees, but Brady seems to be the safer bet.) Arian Foster is still tempting though...

My second question is, my second 5th round pick was acquired by trading Demarco Murray away last season (before we established a keeper league--we did it near the very end of the season, I was opposed of course. I could keep my two 5th rounders, or the guy I traded him to has offered to reverse the trade, giving me Murray (at the expense of my last round pick he could be my keeper) and he wants his 5th round pick back. So essentially I'd be giving up a 5th and last round pick. But here's another thing. He's the number 1 overall pick. That means at the end of round 4 and beginning of round 5, I would have 3 of 4 picks--the second-to-last pick of the 4th round, and the first two picks of the 5th round. Tempting. Or should I trade the first pick of the 5th round back and keep Murray? I'm torn.

I have no other players worthy of keeping.

To your first question: Unless you start 2 QBs, that 1.02 really needs to be a top RB. It's fun and exciting to have a top QB, but it's a very deep position this year so I would pass on Brady or Brees at the 1.02.

To your 2nd question: I would go through with the reversal of that trade before the other owner changes his mind.

Starting your team with Murray and Foster/McCoy is a FANTASTIC start, and it only costs you the extra 5th and your last round pick.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby bagofwhiskey » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Thanks for the input! That's kind of what I was thinking about Murray, I just thought there almost had to be something I was missing since he was so willing to trade back.

As far as passing on Brady/Brees, there's a 3 point bonus at 300 yards and a 5 point bonus at 400 yards, and passing TD's are worth 6. I still like the idea of a stud RB with my first pick, but a QB that continuously puts up 30-40 points week after week is a major advantage. But I'm willing to be persuaded xD draft day is a ways off yet!

Update on possible off-the-board players: Another guy who managed to snag Rice and McCoy hasn't settled on who to keep yet, I could've sworn he said Rice but I just got word back that he hasn't chosen yet. If he keeps McCoy, and Foster goes with the number 1 pick, then (in my head at least) I almost have to take Brady. He's a guaranteed non-keeper since the guy who had him also got Cam with a late round pick, so he's keeping him at the expense of something like a 10th rounder.

I am an excellent wheeler-dealer and usually the fastest must-have FA picker-upper in our league, so I can plug a lot of holes fast. One thing that is incredibly difficult to even attempt to replace, is an elite QB. I tried holding out for a bottom T1/top T2 QB last season, but somehow they were all gone by my second pick. It seemed to go mostly RB's with a few QB's/WR's thrown in for the first round, but on the way back to me in round 2, nearly every pick was a QB. I don't want to repeat that mistake.

I am planning a reach in the third for a top TE (if Gronk is still available, otherwise I would certainly think Graham should be) since I have two 3rd rounders.
bagofwhiskey

Postby bagofwhiskey » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:07 pm

I should note that there is a 3 point bonus at the 100 yard mark for rushing yards as well.
bagofwhiskey

Postby murphysxm » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:39 pm

You should absolutely go through with reversing the trade. I think if you can draft Rice, Foster or McCoy you HAVE to. If all three are either kept or one when you pick, I would go Ryan Matthews or Calvin Johnson. I understand why you think you need to go QB there, but the difference between Brady and Rivers or Romo is not as great as you think. Heck, Rivers stunk last year and Brady was crazy good and they averaged only about 30 yards a game apart. The bonuses aren't as impactful as you think. There were 10 QB's that threw for over 4,000 yards last year. My two cents...
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Definitely go through with the reverse. I would take a RB with that first round pick. Those rules affect every QB so they all get equal boosts for the most part. QB is super deep this year which makes RBs more rare to me, I would go in that direction
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BurritoBoy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:18 am

I would also do the reverse trade to get Murray back on your team. As for the 1.02 pick, I'd go with Foster, McCoy and Rice in that order. If you were picking a bit later in the round then you could justify going for Brady/Brees if the top RBs were already off the board. Many QBs can have great years, or even great individual games. I remember Chad Henne near the of league in passing yards after the first two games with 750+ yards. This isnt saying I think Henne will be the next great QB, but just showing you that any QB at any week can go off. Yeah it'd be nice to have peace of mind that your QB will give you 30+ pts a week, but the QBs are really deep.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions