Very Unique Dynasty League - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Very Unique Dynasty League

Moderator: Football Moderators

Very Unique Dynasty League

Postby BurritoBoy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:29 pm

So last year I took over this team in a very unique dynasty league. 10 teams, but each team is named after a real life NFL team. (I happened to be the Steelers). In this league, anybody that your NFL franchise owns, you have exclusive rights to that player, and nobody else can touch him as long as he belongs to your organization. You can't draft a rookie from that team, or pick up a free agent, unless you trade for him. At that point you are trading for the rights to put him on your team.
Example: Somebody is the Colts, so nobody in the league can draft Andrew Luck, and the Colts don't have to waste a draft pick in our annual rookie draft on him. As long as Luck is under contract with Indianapolis, only the Colts can have Luck on the roster, unless I were to trade for Luck's rights. It can get confusing. Another catch is that anyone you draft in the annual rookie draft, you have their rights for 3 years I believe. I drafted Jake Locker last year, so I can have him sit in free agency and nobody else can touch him except for me. On the league page we have a running "Commissioner's Note" (this is a Yahoo league) of who has been drafted or right's being traded by each team.

The league is also IDP. All TDs 6 pts, 1 PPR. Start:
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 WR/RB, 1 K
5 D (any defensive player), 2 DB, 2 DL

The teams in the league: Steelers (Me), Bengals, Cowboys, Saints, Colts, Bills, Patriots, Vikings, Cardinals, Chargers.

In my first year, I got 2nd place after overhauling the majority of my roster. Now, here is the roster (took long enough)

QB- M. Stafford (Big Ben is in the FA, and I drafted Jake Locker last year)
RB- M. Lynch, S. Jackson, W. McGahee, R. Mendenhall (Drafted Kendall Hunter last year)
WR- M. Wallace, A. Brown, AJ Green, P. Garcon, N. Washington, S. Holmes, D. Thomas (DEN) (no notable rookies :,-( )
TE- B. Pettigrew (have his draft rights)
K- D. Akers

LB- Rolando McClain, B. Orakpo (Lost Farrior to retirement, and Nate Irving and Casey Matthews I drafted)
DB- T. Polomalu, C. Prepah, R. Barber, D. Hall, E. Smith, Jason McCourtney
DL- N. Suh, C. Avril, J. Abraham

I know my D isn't all that, too many DBs and not enough LBs, but McCourtney was my highest scorer last year on D. Last year was the first time I ever played a Dynasty or did IDPs, and I took over a week before the draft. Had no clue what I was doing.

So what do y'all recommend I should do in the upcoming draft, as well as any advice going into the next season. I'll have the 9th pick, and with all the teams that have players I can't touch, it limits what I can do in terms of drafting. I was able to get AJ Green and Stafford in a trade dirt cheap last year, using the injuries to buy low on Stafford, and the rookie QB for Green. Any and all advice is much appreciated.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Very Unique Dynasty League

Postby Jason497 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:49 pm

What about Isaac Redman, I assume you own his rights too under this scenario? That'd give you 4 starting backs there so you shouldn't need much RB help. Since it's a dynasty league maybe try to add Isiah Pead to handcuff to S. Jackson...

Your team is pretty solid across the board really so idk if there's any advice anyone can give...your WRs are solid and you are good at QB, if there's a weakness it might be Pettigrew, I see him as a borderline top 10 guy this season but that's nitpicking.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Re: Very Unique Dynasty League

Postby BurritoBoy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:00 pm

I made a couple trades, I gave up D Thomas, Garcon and Redmon's rights for Britt, Bradshaw, Nick Toon's rights and a second round draft pick. I been trying to talk to the Colts about Fleener, but he never responds to my emails.

Offline draft starts today where we get a max of 24 hours to post who we want to the message board (only 2 rounds). I know that the top 5 of the draft is going Richardson, RG3, Martin, and Wilson, and the guy in front of me (8, I'm 9) has told me he will either take Jeffrey, Pead, or Quick (whichever is available in that order). I'm hoping that Pead falls to my new second rounder (12 overall) so I can try to take an impact player with 9. Anyone with thoughts on who to look for at the 9 spot? I like Kendall Wright, but that gives me all 3 of the WRs from Tennessee, which I don't want to have. Other thoughts would be Keuchly, Barron or Quick/Randle. Never know how the defensive players will be drafted out.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions