MJD Trade proposal. Need help asap please. WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

MJD Trade proposal. Need help asap please. WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: MJD Trade proposal. Need help asap please. WHIR

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:06 pm

Jason497 wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:
Indibuck wrote:
Not a bad trade IMHO... I think the time to sell MJD is right now.

Agreed. I'm not necessarily saying or thinking MJD will be trash this year, but who wants to be the guy who has kept him too long (Michael Turner anyone?) I'd rather get what is still very solid value for him right now and get yourself a RB you rely on more. Though CJ isn't too far away from trying to trade either, let's not forget not everyone makes it to 30 at RB. Clinton Portis fell apart when, at age 28/29?

Chris Johnson is only 6 months younger than MJD...and MJD lead the league in rushing last year...I don't think age makes a difference in a deal like this, it comes down to simply who you think will be better going forward.

It's a combination of mileage and age, which is why I said CJ isn't that far away. MJD has played for 6 seasons, CJ's only had 4. That's a huge difference for RB's. Granted I don't think age is a huge deal in this trade or anything, I was speaking more in general. But the difference in picks ins't that large to get a guy who I think is a strong bet for top 10, vs one with a holdout lingering, mileage concerns, and more prone to break down then the other.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:46 pm

rotoworld wrote:Offensive coordinator Chris Palmer said that giving Chris Johnson 25 touches per game is "pushing it."
Last season, Chris Johnson received "just" 319 touches (19.9 per game), 89 fewer than he got during his historic 2009 breakout. It doesn't sound like Palmer is intent on beating Johnson into the ground this season even though the back is in excellent shape by all accounts. "He's certainly capable of [400 touches]," Palmer said. "But what does it mean for the team? Does it help us win?"

Jun 11 - 10:04 AM
Source: Nashville Tennessean

Does this change anyone's opinions about CJ?
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:
rotoworld wrote:Offensive coordinator Chris Palmer said that giving Chris Johnson 25 touches per game is "pushing it."
Last season, Chris Johnson received "just" 319 touches (19.9 per game), 89 fewer than he got during his historic 2009 breakout. It doesn't sound like Palmer is intent on beating Johnson into the ground this season even though the back is in excellent shape by all accounts. "He's certainly capable of [400 touches]," Palmer said. "But what does it mean for the team? Does it help us win?"

Jun 11 - 10:04 AM
Source: Nashville Tennessean

Does this change anyone's opinions about CJ?

Not for me. It's not like they said they were going to a RBBC. I'd expect they are planning on about 17 carrries and 3 catches. Some games dictate how that goes but that's probably his floor. They don't want to run him into the ground and I agree.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Jason497 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:47 pm

The difference in workload between MJD and CJ1K isn't a humongous gap, thanks in large part to Fragile Fred Taylor.

Jones-Drew from 2003-2011 = 2456 touches

CJ1K from 2004-2011 = 2247 touches

A difference of 1 extra season and 209 extra touches.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Jason497 wrote:The difference in workload between MJD and CJ1K isn't a humongous gap, thanks in large part to Fragile Fred Taylor.

Jones-Drew from 2003-2011 = 2456 touches

CJ1K from 2004-2011 = 2247 touches

A difference of 1 extra season and 209 extra touches.

MJD was drafted in 2006 and played that season. CJ was drafted in 2008. That's a difference of 2 years. I'm not going to act like I'm a forecast teller and can predict who will break down first but if your confident in the situation of MJD then sure, fire away. But I'd be willing to bet CJ plays at a high level for longer then MJD does.

Clinton Portis had a strong 7th season and was never the same after. I personally don't think MJD is done, nor do I think he's going to be a terrible pick this year, but he has way too many things betting against him right now to turn down a trade for a guy who is projected to post comparable numbers without much of a dip in terms of picks thrown in.

2013 I think is going to be a huge question mark season for MJD and you likely won't get anything near value of a true RB1 if you wait until next off-season to move him IMO. CJ I personally have more faith in this year, is done with the contract situation, and I think should have a slightly longer shelf life.

Keep in mind, MJD is coming off his career season and likely his best season ever, with a total of 1900+ yards and 11 TD's with 43 catches. CJ is coming off a career worst season in what people would consider a massive failure of a season, with 1400+ total yards and 4 TD's with 57 catches.

I think the middle ground will be a lot closer next year. I don't see MJD posting those sort of numbers again and neither will CJ. I just think CJ has more of those type of seasons left then MJD.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero