My First Keeper League, Need Some Pointers. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

My First Keeper League, Need Some Pointers.

Moderator: Football Moderators

My First Keeper League, Need Some Pointers.

Postby furiousyeti » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:52 pm

I've been running my FFB League for the last seven years. I have finally decided to up the stakes to making it a Keeper League. I just have a few questions that I have yet to find the answers to online.
I get the idea of giving up draft picks for keeping a particular player (you draft Michael Crabtree in the fifth round and want to keep him, you have to give up next years fifth round pick.). But if you were to (in the middle of the season) trade Crabtree and his new owner wanted to keep him, would the new owner have to give up HIS fifth round pick or would Crabtree be treated as a free agent pick up and the new owner wouldn't have to give up ANY picks?
If I can get this answered/explained, it would be a HUGE help.
Thank you to any and all who respond.

Furiuosyeti.
furiousyeti
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: My First Keeper League, Need Some Pointers.

Postby Jason497 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:16 pm

furiousyeti wrote:I've been running my FFB League for the last seven years. I have finally decided to up the stakes to making it a Keeper League. I just have a few questions that I have yet to find the answers to online.
I get the idea of giving up draft picks for keeping a particular player (you draft Michael Crabtree in the fifth round and want to keep him, you have to give up next years fifth round pick.). But if you were to (in the middle of the season) trade Crabtree and his new owner wanted to keep him, would the new owner have to give up HIS fifth round pick or would Crabtree be treated as a free agent pick up and the new owner wouldn't have to give up ANY picks?
If I can get this answered/explained, it would be a HUGE help.
Thank you to any and all who respond.

Furiuosyeti.

I assume whatever your league decides is best would be fine, although keeping him a 5th rounder makes sense to me since he wasn't placed on waivers.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby murphysxm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Trading a player shouldn't remove their draft keeper status. I actually prefer to take an extra step and you lose a round on a keeper. So in your scenario, Crabtree costs your 4th round pick.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby Indibuck » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:06 pm

murphysxm wrote:Trading a player shouldn't remove their draft keeper status. I actually prefer to take an extra step and you lose a round on a keeper. So in your scenario, Crabtree costs your 4th round pick.

There's 1001 ways to do keeper leagues. Usually, if a player is traded, the round that an owner must surrender to keep him goes with him in the trade.

But whatever way you decide to do it, put the rule in writing so that everyone understands it.

Good luck!
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby northernpackfan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:13 am

murphysxm wrote:Trading a player shouldn't remove their draft keeper status. I actually prefer to take an extra step and you lose a round on a keeper. So in your scenario, Crabtree costs your 4th round pick.

My league costs 2 rounds to keep a player, that way, if someone drafts a player like Jordy Nelson in the 9th round, rather than him eternally costing a 9th to keep (unreal value), he will cost a 7th this year, a 5th in 2013, etc. The rationale is that a team that picks someone who "breaks out" is still rewarded, but not forever.

I don't know if you've established a rule yet, but also consider setting a draft round value to free agents. Again, my league values all waiver wire pickups as an 9th round pick, so it costs a 7th to keep them the following year, a 5th the year after, etc.
northernpackfan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions