Keeper Help! Calvin Johnson or Aaron Rodgers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Keeper Help! Calvin Johnson or Aaron Rodgers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper Help! Calvin Johnson or Aaron Rodgers

Postby jbcettina » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:41 pm

Ok So here's my dilema:

We are starting a keeper league new to this season. Normal rules: You lose the draft pick of the round you picked your keeper in. I dont know who to keep either Calvin Johnson (picked in the 2nd rd) or Aaron Rodgers (picked in the 1st). This season I have the 8th pick of the draft. Here is what i was thinking

I picked Calvin to keep and lose my 2nd RD:
So my first RD i would be going for a RB: I am thinking to Reach for Jamal Charles then in the 3rd hopefully trent Richardson ( or highest available player) is available and we go from there

If i pick Aaron I lose my 1st RD
Im set for QB but then would have the 17th and 32 pick in the draft for a RB and a WR

I also have a value pick in Marshawn Lynch: I think i scooped him in the 9th-10th rd. But i dont know how sold i am on him being my keeper.. I still dont really trust him.

ANY IDEAS?
jbcettina
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper Help! Calvin Johnson or Aaron Rodgers

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Being that Calvin is a 2nd round pick it would make it an easier choice for me. Keep Calvin, and get a prime pick to pair with him in the 1st. You can go QB in the 3rd and get a QB who can compare to Rodgers at least but there won't be a WR there that will put up Calvin like numbers. I think A Rod's numbers come down just a tad, I think Calvin gets slightly better. If both guys have similiar years I'd rather have 15+ TD's from my WR1 and hope I could get competitive numbers out of Romo or Cutler later. Guys who are talents, but have talents at WR to produce big TD games, value is pretty good there too.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby murphysxm » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Megatron in 2 is a much better value to me. To me, when keepers have rounds attached to them, you keep the best value, not always the best player.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby toof90 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:30 pm

Id go with megatron in the 2nd round
toof90
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Indibuck » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:16 pm

All three players represent value, even Rodgers for your 1.08. But I agree with the others that your best value is Calvin for your 2nd.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby 11stever11 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:37 am

Calvin and Rodgers are close value wise but since you only have to give a 2nd round pick instead of a 1st round pick, I would keep Calvin over Rodgers. ;-D
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 46)

Postby jbcettina » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:56 am

Hey guys. Thanks a lot for everyone's advice. I agree in the smart play of keeping Calvin. Let me ask you this now that I have my first pick available do I reach for Jamal Charles as since I believe the majority of my league will be keeping their top RB?
jbcettina
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 1)

Postby murphysxm » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:49 pm

jbcettina wrote:Hey guys. Thanks a lot for everyone's advice. I agree in the smart play of keeping Calvin. Let me ask you this now that I have my first pick available do I reach for Jamal Charles as since I believe the majority of my league will be keeping their top RB?

I'm never an advocate of reaching for a player in round 1. See what players are there and take the best available.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:37 pm

murphysxm wrote:Megatron in 2 is a much better value to me. To me, when keepers have rounds attached to them, you keep the best value, not always the best player.

I fit in with this post

And..

This post
murphysxm wrote:I'm never an advocate of reaching for a player in round 1. See what players are there and take the best available.

Along with what the other posters said, I'd keep Megatron in rd 2 over Rodgers in rd 1.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby northernpackfan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:47 am

Keep Calvin over Rodgers - he's a much better value. I don't know if he'll have the same type of statistical season, as I don't trust Stafford to stay healthy for 16 games, but he's still likely to be the top WR in the league.

And I wouldn't be too worried about reaching for Charles, by keeping 1 WR and 1 RB, you have the luxury of taking the BPA. If you can pickup a guy like Roddy White later in the 1st, you'd have a formidable start.
northernpackfan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions