2012 pre-season stuff consolidated - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Ambulance Chasers

2012 pre-season stuff consolidated

Moderators: Indibuck, murphysxm, Football Moderators

VOTE! Item 4... number of playoff teams

Postby Indibuck » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Please vote. Poll will be left open for 7 days. Once you cast your vote, you may not go back and change it.

Thank you.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rules/Scoring thread

Postby Indibuck » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:38 pm

OK I have created polls for 4 items... please take a moment and cast your vote. Polls close in 7 days. During those 7 days, I want to leave this thread open for any other issues that someone feels needs to be addressed.

Once we have voted and there are no more issues to work through, I will have our draft order (and conferences) randomly created, and you will receive an invitation to the league site on fleaflicker.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: VOTE! Item 1... PPR/non-PPR

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:11 am

Are we going 1 point per run, or just a half a point per run? Man, I love baseball :-)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: VOTE! Item 2... If PPR, how much?***

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:13 am

Full monty, please.
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: VOTE! Item 3... passing TD points

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:17 am

Since this one doesn't matter at all, I flipped a coin. Then I checked the opposite box ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Re: VOTE! Item 4... number of playoff teams

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:18 am

As N'Sync used to say ...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Re: VOTE! Item 2... If PPR, how much?***

Postby m16a » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:57 am

I voted half point. I think it offers the best balance in general.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

Postby Indibuck » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:45 am

I have received a PM from an owner that has not used a blind bid waiver system. Instead of only replying to his PM, I will put it here, because others might have similar questions as well.

In a blind bid waiver system, each owner starts with an amount of "money" to bid on players in the free agent pool. Owners with the highest bid win the free agent, and that player is added to the roster (along with a corresponding drop, so as not to exceed the maximum number of players.

Per league rules, free agency will open shortly after our draft is completed and rosters are loaded onto the host site... I will give ample heads up to the league as to when that date will occur. Free agency will continue until the start of the NFL Week 1 first game. Then each week during the regular season, bids are accepted until free agents are awarded on Thursday. After all free agents are awarded, an owner may pick up other players until the start of the NFL week slate of games.

Owners may bid $0 on a player. So if you do run out of "free agency money", you can still make add/drops to your roster, but anyone who bids as little as $1 will outbid you and be awarded said player. So use your $$$ wisely. Also, it is my understanding that if you and another owner bid the same amount, the owner who placed the bid first will be awarded the free agent... so get your bids in quickly if there is a player you covet.

To those who have played with a blind bid system... what else am I missing? Did I do a decent job explaining it? I have used similar systems over the past couple of years, and I think it is BY FAR the fairest way to award free agents, as opposed to first-come first-served or based on worst-record-gets-first-shot.
Indibuck

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:11 pm

I'm confused - are the terms free agency and waiver being used interchangeably?

Also, in one post it says they'll be awarded on Wednesday, and the followup post says Thursday, or did I misinterpret something?

Per league rules, free agency will open shortly after our draft is completed and rosters are loaded onto the host site... I will give ample heads up to the league as to when that date will occur. Free agency will continue until the start of the NFL Week 1 first game.

So, right after the draft, is there free agency, or waiver bidding? i.e., will we be spending our $200 to make roster changes before the season starts?

Then each week during the regular season, bids are accepted until free agents are awarded on Thursday. After all free agents are awarded, an owner may pick up other players until the start of the NFL week slate of games.

So, when a game starts, typically on Thursday nights now, true free agency is locked, and it becomes the waiver bid system? Meaning that the time in between the waiver bids being awarded (either wednesday or thursday) is the true free agency period for the week? And then from the start of the thursday game until the conclusion of games for the week, no free agency happens, it's all about submitting bids, which are then awarded to the winners on wed. or thurs?

A few scenarios will help clarify:
Our draft completes - we are now in a state of $ bidding. I can see the reason for this - if someone's stud RB gets hurt in camp, they have a fair shot at getting the backup (assuming backup wasn't drafted), and the backup won't just go to the first guy who happened to see the news and jump on it.

The regular season gets here (Yay!) - is there any period of time during the week where players are 'free' in that they don't require bidding on? Let's say my WR I want to start on Thursday night suddenly gets in trouble and won't play (this news is released Wednesday - or Thursday, depending on when bid winners get awarded) - can I go snag someone who is playing Monday night, if I don' like my bench options? And conversely, if I find out on Thursday that my Monday night player just broke his toe and wont play, can I make an instant acquisition of someone playing Thursday night, or can I make an instant acquisition of someone on Saturday who will play Sunday?

Sometimes extra words don't mean clarity. I guess what I'm asking is:

Are the winning bidders awarded Wed. or Thurs?
After those weekly bid winners are awarded, does it become free to make instant acquisitions?
If it does become free to make instant acquisitions, when do the available players get locked (punting into the waiver bid system again)?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Mr.Joshua » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Good questions Scott, I could use some clarity on this as well. I'm also up for drafting as close to the season starting as possible to eliminate any bs preseason injuries. For someones team to take a big hit for no reason, just doesn't make sense. My main league drafts after the last pre-season game ;-D
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 231)

PreviousNext

Return to Ambulance Chasers