Cedric Benson...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cedric Benson...

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:29 pm

...does anybody want this guy???
Schefter: Raiders looking at Cedric Benson
June, 19, 2012
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

I have been waiting for months for this one to develop.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Oakland Raiders are showing interest in free agent running back Cedric Benson.

I’ve long thought this is a logical pairing. The Raiders lost backup Michael Bush to Chicago in free agency, and while starter Darren McFadden is a star, he is not durable.

McFadden’s backups are Mike Goodson and Taiwan Jones. Goodson didn’t have any carries with Carolina last year and Jones is more of a change-of-pace back. If signed, Benson would provide terrific experience as a backup and as an injury replacement.

Benson, 29, had 1,067 yards last season. He has not garnered much interest in free agency but Schefter reports that some other teams have been looking. Oakland has shown the most interest. At this point, Benson will likely have to sign a modest contract and Oakland should pursue him.

more: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/ ... ric-benson
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cedric Benson...

Postby Mr.Joshua » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:56 pm

May increase Bensons late round stash value with DMC's history, but thats as far as it goes for me. I could see an occasional vulture td here and there though....
Last edited by Mr.Joshua on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 226)

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:02 pm

actually think Goodson is a better back than Benson and Jones has more upside. This one makes little too no sense to me. Benson isn't exactly a positive clubhouse personality to boot.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 222)

Postby stomperrob » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:33 pm

Notebook: Veteran RB Benson expected to sign with Packers
7:17 PM, Aug 10, 2012
Written by ROB DEMOVSKY
Green Bay Press-Gazette

Rather than re-signing Ryan Grant, the Green Bay Packers appear set to add another veteran running back.

ESPN reported on Friday that former first-round draft pick Cedric Benson was in Green Bay on a visit and was expected to sign with the Packers.

Benson’s agent, Eugene Parker, didn’t return a message, and the team made no announcement.

The move came a day after James Starks struggled in the Packers preseason opener at San Diego on Thursday. Starks, who was believed to be the heir apparent to Grant, had a dropped pass and a lost fumble.

Benson, 29, was not re-signed by the Cincinnati Bengals despite coming off his third straight 1,000-yard season. He rushed for 1,067 yards in 2011, but his production waned late in the season. He rushed for more than 76 yards only once in the final five games and finished with a 3.9-yard average per carry. His best season came in 2009, when he rushed for 1,251 yards and averaged 4.2 yards per carry. In Week 2 of that season, he gained 141 yards against the Packers at Lambeau Field.

con't...

more: http://www.packersnews.com/article/2012 ... ck_check=1
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby benb18a » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Hmm. Given Starks' less-than-stellar start to the Summer, where do you see Benson being drafted? As an RB3 or is that too soon?

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Cedric Benson...

Postby Wood Chipper » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:30 pm

Benson is a bench player. Packers won't give him 20 carries a game.
Wooden Icicles PPR (Horse Traders Dynasty)
Wood Chipper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:38 pm

I think you will see Benson as the main back but only getting 50% or so of the carries. Starks will still get some but obviously they lost trust in him so that could leave room for Green to jump in there and emerge. This is going to be a mess where Benson will be taken too early in most drafts.

Unless I hear he is the clear cut winner it concerns me that he wont play to his draft spot
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby benb18a » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Edit: @ Wood Chipper - orly? The Bengals have given him about 300 carries the last three seasons. It could just be a convoluted RBBC situation but there's the possibility he rises to get the majority of carries and some goalline work.

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:43 pm

benb18a wrote:Hmm. Given Starks' less-than-stellar start to the Summer, where do you see Benson being drafted? As an RB3 or is that too soon?

Starks sure didn't take advantage of his chances, did he? Benson could over take Starks pretty easily. Not sure how much upside there is, but do like the idea of a competent RB in a high powered pass attack. Element of surprise inflates numbers.
Seems odd that the Packers would be the team doing this. Its not like they had much of a run game, nor relied on one, so why would they take a chance with such a character guy like Benson? Guessing Starks must be a terrible pass rusher or having a poor camp to go with history of so-so ness with the Pack.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby benb18a » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Yeah if the Pack had a competent back, they could be a truly scary offense, but they seem content with not establishing any run game. Hell a quarter of Starks' touches last year were receptions. People wanted McCarthy's head on a stick 2-3 years ago when he was completely ignoring the run game, but apparently they're doing pretty well with the aerial assault. I see Benson's upside as the production he's had the last few years in Cincy. Will probably need less carries, but his TDs will probably drop due to Kuhn getting nearly all the goalline carries and Rodgers getting the occasional bootleg. I think 1000/5 is a possibility.

2011:

benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk