Cedric Benson... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cedric Benson...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Cedric Benson...

Postby stomperrob » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:19 pm

If he's healthy, I really like Alex Green to become the workhorse at some point this season. ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:14 pm

stomperrob wrote:If he's healthy, I really like Alex Green to become the workhorse at some point this season. ;-D

Have to wonder if the Packers don't share your enthusiasm.
Benson
Starks
Green/Saine ?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote: This is going to be a mess where Benson will be taken too early in most drafts.

Unless I hear he is the clear cut winner it concerns me that he wont play to his draft spot

Where would you be comfortable taking him?

Probably Red Lobster or Olive Garden, knowing you ya cheapo. ;-)

This is one I wouldn't want to touch before seeing what happens in the next few weeks in Packer camp. BUT, I'm on the clock in two leagues at 16th and 18th rounds, and I have to say he is a sudden large blip appearing on my draft radar.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Wood Chipper » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:31 pm

benb18a wrote:Edit: @ Wood Chipper - orly? The Bengals have given him about 300 carries the last three seasons. It could just be a convoluted RBBC situation but there's the possibility he rises to get the majority of carries and some goalline work.

I have watched enough Packers over the years that the only way Cedric breaks 300 carries is if Rodgers goes down. He will likely get 225 carries.
Wooden Icicles PPR (Horse Traders Dynasty)
Wood Chipper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby stomperrob » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:18 pm

But injuries are depleting the position two weeks into camp, and Starks hasn’t inspired confidence with several lapses on the field and his latest injury. McCarthy didn’t name Starks among the players injured immediately after the preseason opener at San Diego, but after practice Saturday night McCarthy said Starks’ status is week to week, which suggests the halfback could miss several weeks, if not more.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/2012 ... |FRONTPAGE
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:21 pm

The Packers signed Benson because of a slew of injuries at the position, including James Starks' turf toe and Brandon Saine's pulled hamstring. Starks is week to week and Saine is day to day.

Second-year back Alex Green is limited because he is coming off major knee surgery.

Benson rushed for 1,000 yards three consecutive times, but he comes to town with a lot of question marks, not the least of which is durability.

He has 1,529 carries in his career, an average of 218 per season. Over the last three, he has averaged just under 300 carries.

Still, he hasn't missed a game because of injury since 2009 and averaged 3.9 yards per carry for Cincinnati last season. His biggest issue has been fumbling. He's coughed it up 12 times in the last two years, losing seven of them.

"He's a good player," a personnel executive from another team said. "It's a good signing if he's been taking care of himself. You figure they have a feeling about that. He's got nice feet. He's not a one-cut runner though."

Benson's past includes four arrests since he joined the NFL, two for misdemeanor assault and two for alcohol-related offenses. Benson's last arrest occurred a year ago when he was charged with misdemeanor assault with bodily injury with family violence after punching a former roommate.

con't...

more: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... 35606.html
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Green Bay - Cedric Benson may have gone from out-of-work running back with no prospects to Green Bay Packers starter in a matter of a week.

Coach Mike McCarthy said Sunday that third-year pro James Starks will be sidelined with turf toe at least a couple of weeks, making it almost a certainty he won't be ready for a significant role come the San Francisco 49ers game Sept. 9.

That leaves the newly signed Benson, an eight-year veteran with 1,529 career carries, and Alex Green, a second-year back with three career carries, to compete for the top job.

Given Benson's experience and Green's lack of it - not to mention a knee that underwent major surgery last year - it's obvious the veteran is the likely starter. All Benson has to do is show that he's close to the same player who rushed for 1,000 yards each of the last three seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals.

On Sunday, he practiced in pads for the first time since signing Aug. 12 and appeared to have the freshest legs of anyone on the field.

"I had a lot of fun running around, getting some live reads, guys coming off the ball, defensive line coming off the ball," he said. "I was able to make some moves in the secondary. It felt good to run around and it felt good to get into the rhythm of tackle football."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... 19626.html
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Running backs coach Alex Van Pelt admitted that Cedric Benson won't be used on third downs.
Van Pelt has plenty of options on passing downs and Benson's woes as a blocker/receiver rule him out. John Kuhn is extremely reliable, Brandon Saine has the size and Alex Green has the most upside. There's no clear winner here just yet.
Related: John Kuhn, Alex Green, Brandon Saine
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
Aug 30 - 11:19 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl ... -news?rw=1
stomperrob

Postby Azrael » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Green is listed as the RB1
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:33 am

Azrael wrote:Green is listed as the RB1

I noticed that to but from what im reading Id bet he doesnt get 50% of the carries. It appears to me as if Benson should get the majority with someone getting 3rd down. Green is coming off ACL and I find it hard to believe he ends up being their number one
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk