Cedric Benson... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cedric Benson...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Cedric Benson...

Postby stomperrob » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:06 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
Azrael wrote:Green is listed as the RB1

I noticed that to but from what im reading Id bet he doesnt get 50% of the carries. It appears to me as if Benson should get the majority with someone getting 3rd down. Green is coming off ACL and I find it hard to believe he ends up being their number one

Yeah, Benson will no doubt be the be the #1 for at least a few games - Green will prob be worked back into things slowly. At some point this season Green will be given more of the workload, dunno if he will take over the lead role this season but I def like him in dynasty leagues.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:33 pm

James Starks (toe) has resumed practicing in full.
Starks might finally be ready to return against the Saints, but Cedric Benson has put a stranglehold on No. 1 duties in his absence. Starks is unlikely to receive more than 2-3 carries against the league's worst run defense if he's active Sunday.
Sep 26 - 7:28 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl ... layer-news
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby YerInUrine » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:33 pm

Just heard that Benson may be done for the season with a lisfranc injury.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/ ... anc-injury\
YerInUrine
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby stoggie10 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:19 pm

So who would you pick up if both Green and Starks are available?
stoggie10
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:34 pm

stoggie10 wrote:So who would you pick up if both Green and Starks are available?

Its a tough call because it will likely be a split hot hand situation. I think each will be used at what they are good at. Starks was supposed to be the started then got in the dog house and got hurt. Green looked good last week. I can see Green getting the bulk first and if Starks can make a good showing he will eat into Green's production
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Montana168 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:47 pm

I would take Alex Green over James Starks all day. With the flurry of new waiver RB this week (Green, Ballard, Powell, LSH, etc.), Green is the one I am most excited about. Watch this highlight video of his runs at Hawaii:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK0VmrZIGSI

Of course he is going to look good in a highlight video. Yes, it is the WAC. However, what stuck out to me was his footwork and cuts. Guys are absolutely falling over when he makes cuts in that video. Ballard, Powell, et al. do not explode in tape like that. You can say that it is just college ball, but look at his 41 yard run last week:

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/RB-Alex-Greens-41-yard-run/9362c6b0-1bfd-4905-999e-4c29bf604aab

Those 2 cuts he makes looks identical to what he does through out the entire previous video. Mike McCarthy has already said he will play the hot hand, but that Alex Green will get "first crack." I am probably getting ahead of myself, but I am VERY excited to see what Alex Green can do with a workload of 15+ touches. Houston is a tough matchup, but they are without Brian Cushing now and they still give up 4+ YPC (their bread and butter is the Pass D). After Houston, the Packers have STL & JAX next up on the schedule.
Montana168
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby twinkypoop » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Are folks in leagues without IR holding or dropping Benson at this point?
QB- Stafford
RB- J Charles, R Bush, G Bernard, S Jax, B Tate, Snelling
WR- L Fitz, Amendola, Gordon, Gordon, Blackmon, Broyles, Marlon Brown
TE- J Thomas, Cook
K- Walsh
DEF- Rams
twinkypoop
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:14 am

McCarthy: Benson put on IR / designated to return
By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel
Oct. 10, 2012

Green Bay - Here's a summary of coach Mike McCarthy's Wednesday press conference:

RB Cedric Benson has been put on the new injured reserve list that allows him to come back in a minimum of eight weeks. He'll be eligible to start practicing in six weeks.

I can see him being one of those guys who makes it back to the final four weeks.

Green and Starks both got reps in offense, but Green will start. Both will get playing time against Houston. Green is ahead of Starks.

With Jennings, Raji and Finley, none will practice until at least Friday. They may be game time decisions even if they don't practice.

Benson has been very productive. I like his no-nonsense approach. Very good work ethic.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/173540271.html
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:55 am

Notebook: Starks likely to see increased workload
9:34 PM, Nov 15, 2012
Written by
Pete Dougherty
Green Bay Press-Gazette

James Starks probably has surpassed Alex Green as the Green Bay Packers’ primary running back, at least until Cedric Benson is back from a sprained foot.

The earliest Benson can play is Dec. 9 against Detroit at Lambeau Field.

In the Packers’ last game, against Arizona 1½ weeks ago, Starks averaged only 3.6 yards on 17 carries but showed better instincts and more power in the Packers’ zone-running scheme than Green had as the primary back for the three prior games.

“I think (Starks) has earned it,” said Alex Van Pelt, the Packers’ running backs coach. “I think he was productive when he was in there the last couple of games with limited touches, and he has the most experience of the backs we have right now. I think he’s earned the right to get in there and get some more touches.”

Starks had been the No. 1 back going into training camp but then suffered a severe turf-toe injury in the preseason opener that sidelined him until Week 6 at Houston. He’s averaging 3.5 yards on 25 carries.

“He’s getting back to where he was in camp,” Van Pelt said. “He was doing a nice job in camp. When you miss a lot of reps, it’s tough to get that feel and timing back. But through our process of slowly getting him back in, I think we’ve given him an opportunity to get more confidence in himself, starting with scout reps and then go over and get some team reps with the offense, a few touches in one game, more touches in the next game.”

con't...

more: http://www.packersnews.com/article/2012 ... ck_check=1
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:20 am

Update:

Benson on track to return, sees future with Packers
7:07 PM, Nov 16, 2012
Written by
Rob Demovsky
Green Bay Press-Gazette

Cedric Benson believes as strongly as ever he will return for the final month of the season, and tests this week showed his sprained left foot is progressing at the expected rate.

But if he doesn’t, or if the injury and all the time he has missed renders him ineffective, the veteran running back hopes he showed enough in the 41/2 games he played to convince the Green Bay Packers to offer him a contract for next season.

“I’d like to think I did enough,” said Benson, the eighth-year veteran who was signed off the street Aug. 12 to a one-year contract worth the veterans minimum of $825,000. “Deep down inside, I feel like there’s much more I wanted to do, and I truly believe that they believe and understand that there was much more I was going to show.”

Benson sustained a Lisfranc injury Oct. 7 against the Indianapolis Colts and although he did not need surgery, he was placed on the new temporary injured reserve list that allows one player from each team to return after eight weeks. Benson can return to practice next week — although based on the fact he isn’t running on his own that’s unlikely — and is eligible to play Dec. 9 against Detroit, which he said remains a realistic goal.

His statistics — a 3.5-yard average on 71 carries with one touchdown and 14 receptions for 94 yards — don’t indicate much production, but he said he was just starting to become comfortable in a new offense that took him into the regular season to completely absorb.

con't...

more: http://www.packersnews.com/article/2012 ... ck_check=1
stomperrob

Previous

Return to Football Talk